AEW Dynamite Thread 2022

DavidB6937

Just now, Nick James said:

Jericho can be the biggest mark for himself, but the guy knows how to put over younger / newer talent. 

If you were to check his twitter feed he spent the night retweeting the positivity. Some tagged him, others vanity searched. Of course he couldn't himself with a couple that were taking the piss.

• Awards Moderator

Some great babyface reactions on this show. I enjoyed Perry vs Cage, but the reaction for HOOK was huge. Action Andretti got some amazing reactions - I threw my arms up in celebration when he got the three count. And then Hangman's promo ... that was absolutely excellent. If Jungle Boy keeps defeating big lads and ends up beating Joe for the TNT title, and Hangman finds his way to MJF to end that reign, I'll be quite happy.

That Jericho match really was something.  What a pro Jericho is to take someone the crowd literally doesn't even know the name of, and get them red hot like that.  You could actually hear Jericho talking him through the match at points.  Shades of 1-2-3 Kid and Razor Ramon.

Conversely, I thought the main event suffered from not having someone with that experience in there.  I appreciate that they tried to tell a more straightforward pro wrestling story and keep it mainly mat based, but they went way too fast, way too much, and particularly near the end Starks wasn't selling the exhaustion of the match.  It never really got out of third gear for me.  For MJF to work as champ, they need to put him in there will people who can call a main event match for him until he learns.  I remember this happened with Cena, when he was first champ too.

So Danielson is a great choice, and to be honest if they are splitting him off from BCC that would be good too.  The BCC actually looks better as a trio controlled by Moxley, and it keeps his schedule light if he's mainly tagging, as he still looks genuinely beat at the moment.

---

So in the last month, since winning the AEW Women's Title, Hayter has wrestled once, in a tag match, and unless I blinked didn't even appear on the show this week.  Of course, Britt Baker was there.... I hope this won't be Thunda Rosa all over again, where the champ is an after though.

15 minutes ago, Loki said:

So in the last month, since winning the AEW Women's Title, Hayter has wrestled once, in a tag match, and unless I blinked didn't even appear on the show this week.  Of course, Britt Baker was there.... I hope this won't be Thunda Rosa all over again, where the champ is an after though.

You blinked as there was a promo video for the upcoming Hayter v. Shida match. Happening on next week's show.

Last week she was also doing the sitdown with Tony which led into the Shida v. Bunny match being a number 1 contender's match.

• Paid Members
25 minutes ago, Loki said:

So Danielson is a great choice, and to be honest if they are splitting him off from BCC that would be good too.  The BCC actually looks better as a trio controlled by Moxley, and it keeps his schedule light if he's mainly tagging, as he still looks genuinely beat at the moment.

Claudio and Wheeler look like the last people Mox should be hanging with now that Regal isn't there. Get him back together with Eddie and Ortiz, and let Danielson carry the mic work for the other two.

Cracking episode. Dare I say they've been back on form since Full Gear. The show just flowed and felt more interconnected than usual and had the classic show long build to the main event. 

Starks vs MJF was good meat and potatoes stuff. One of those where the sloppiness just added to the general sense of struggle. 

Lovely little promo from Hangman. Hit right in the feels. Reminded me why of why I loved him all over again.

Jericho vs Jobber was a fantastic piece of business. Electric. A nice shake up that  really adds to the "anything can happen" vibe to the show. Jericho's a weird one. Completely gets it in these little moments. But I KNOW once he latches onto Ricky Starks in a tedious feud that is plotted backwards, goes on forever and has no real winner, I'll be sick of him all over again.

Hook and Jungle Boy. My God. 

Mox's delivery of the "Bring your Dark Order buddies" line was such tremendous dickheadry. He's the gift that keeps on giving.

Loved the understated selling from Nick Jackson in the opener. I thought he'd really fucked it. Fun match and another nice twist to keep the series fresh. I cringed when I saw Kenny Omega with a mic though. You can really tell what a bunch of passive aggressive pricks they are. "There's gonna be enough talking on this show as it is". Yeah, alright mate. Get over yourself. It's a shame they seem content with wanking themselves off on spots and workrate when they've shown flahes of being great TV characters in the past.

Edited by Mr Butternut Squash

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

And HOOK running off Big Bill, a literal giant of a human who looks like he could tear a normal person's head off with his bare hands, was quite frankly ridiculous.

I loved this. Hook has kinda plateaued for me the last few months, so someone the size of Big Bill thinking 'fuck that' and running off brings back some of that hard-as-fuck aura he had a year ago. 

Stokely is still shite, though. If they're so desperate to have a smarmy smug heel manager running a faction they already had Smart Mark Sterling on the books. Instead he's lumbered doing his best with two dullards whilst Stokeley is actively dragging down decent mid-card acts like Ethan Page and the Gunns.

• Paid Members

That pop for Hook was sensational considering he's been MIA for a while. The guy just pisses cool, don't fuck this one up, Tony. Just imagine the main event scene in a few years, MJF, Starks, Jungle Boy, Hook, Garcia. It feels like the next phase of main eventers are there waiting in the wings and each one has their own USP.

• Paid Members

Made the conscious decision to actually sit and watch Dynamite properly tonight, rather than just having it on whilst idly scrolling on my phone, and really fucking enjoyed it.

WAY more good than bad this week, and I say that having spoiled myself on the Jericho upset first thing this morning so watched that without the shock factor.

I do wish they had had the stipulations for the remaining best of 7 matches escalate naturally though, rather than have them announced in advance as being TK's idea - just in case those matches need to happen, y'know...

The Elite proposed the no DQ stip so have Death Triangle counter with Falls Count Anywhere after inevitably losing next week (have Penta knock one of the Bucks sparko with the hammer up on the stage but be unable to capitalise as not in the ring so it's logical), then have them desperately propose the ladder match once it gets tied up.

• Paid Members

Top tier episode.

Belting opener. This is exactly what I want the Trios division to be, their equivalent of WCW’s Cruiserweight division, where you’re always guaranteed a mad, spotty TV match to get your juices flowing and the crowd popping their balls off.

Great little angle with Jarrett and Lethal attacking The Acclaimed. Thank fuck they got rid of the rankings and we can have fun, natural feuds like this. Love Jeff. He’s the business through and through. He’ll end up running this place.

Pairing Jungle Boy with Hook is a master stroke. Both guys were floundering, whereas now they’re the sexiest team going today. It’s also the best thing to ever happen to The Firm. Suddenly, now they’re feuding with The Shaggers, everyone feels more relevant. Let’s all enjoy a bag of crisps together.

A Moxley-led, united Blackpool Combat Club, collectively pretending William Regal never existed, is the best they’ve looked in ages. I really like the idea of them feuding with Dark Order, too. That’s classic AEW booking, going in a great direction you never even considered. Claudio vs. John Silver? Yes please!

Fucking hell, Hangman! Just effortlessly getting me to tear up in the middle of my stupid wrestling show! Good lord. I couldn’t wait for my kids to come home from school to hug them after watching this! Hangman remains the absolute best babyface. Then. Now. Forever. Hangman has to be the one who saves the company when MJF threatens to put that belt on Papa H’s desk next year, surely?

The non-spooky House of Black continue to fucking rule. They’re going to struggle to stay heels at this rate.

All the credit in the world to Jericho. That was a great bit of business. I’m not convinced he really, “made a star in one night,” though. AEW aren’t the best at capitalising on stuff like this (Shawn Dean after beating MJF, for example) and I’m also not convinced I see in Action Andretti what Jericho supposedly does (he mostly looked like a generic flippy guy being *loudly* guided through the match), but as a memorable moment this was amazing. You can’t knock Jericho’s mind for this stuff. One mention of the word, “jobber,” and he had the whole crowd buying what he was selling. Jericho name dropping Ricky Starks also made me laugh. The man has no shame. The moment someone builds some momentum Jericho is all over them like they’re a local Wetherspoons and he’s on a UK tour. Looking forward to the Jericho vs. Starks feud fizzling out around July next year.

The Bricoes being visible on AEW television! Yes! Even if it was only in a recap video, that feels notable. Fingers crossed they make progress here because their performances on the last few ROH pay per views suggest they’d be a fantastic addition to the AEW tag division. Until one or both of them killed themselves doing a mad spot, anyway.

I had a great time with the main event, but more than either the characters or the work itself, it was the freshness of the whole thing that felt most significant. Two young, new, super talented lads getting huge reactions. It had a real WWF-in-1998 energy about it. Proper Rock vs. Hunter stuff.

No idea why Danielson seemed so angry, though. Just pop into Regal’s time machine to go back and warn him! 

But yeah, I loved this show. Left me absolutely buzzing. When AEW nails it there’s nothing better.

I saw a video on Twitter yesterday that reminded me; remember when the best thing happening in pro-wrestling was Tye Dillinger doing the meme entrance as Number 10 in the Royal Rumble? Seems like a lifetime ago when they’d throw out shitty little bones like that and we’d think it was brilliant. Fast forward a couple of years and we’re getting full, two-hour TV shows of this standard. It can’t be overstated how fantastic this is. What’s the line from The Office? “I wish there was a way to know you're in the good old days before you've actually left them.” Lads, these are the good old days!

Edited by Supremo