AEW Dynamite Thread 2022

DavidB6937

• Paid Members
On 12/20/2022 at 9:14 PM, Loki said:

They'll get 15 minutes in the middle of the show, bookended by the other two women's segments, one of which will be a Britt Baker interview.  It's the same every week.

You Dont Say Angelina Jolie GIF

Cracking main event. Felt big time and easily the best womens match in AEW's history. 

Rest of the show was mostly pretty poor I thought.

- Starks was good in that opening but overall was a pretty lazy and uninspiring way to start a feud.

- Best of 7 is just too many matches to maintain interest with these lads. Best of 5 would have been enough. Good match but hard to really care too much when you know whose winning because they've already announced a gimmick match finale.

- They announced MJF but he didn't really show up. He looked at a TV.

- Danielson segment started off well but nothing I hate more than the midcarder interruption of a main eventer to set up a match no one cares about and the midcarded is obviously going to lose. Also, fuck off Stokely Hathaway. 

- More of the awful Stokely Hathaway with Jungle Boy. I'd be happy with a solo Big Bill vs Jungle Boy feud. The Firm as a unit just shits up anything. Laughed at Hook casually walking to the back as Jungle Boy gets murdered or whatever. 

- Mox vs Darius. Fine but completely impossible to care.

- FTR vs Gunns was good and the right result. Heels go over but FTR were cheated and working hurt so lose nothing from it.

- Sonjays rap was a fun idea but they didn't push it to the ridiculous level it needed to be.

- Is Friday the first trios battle royale ever? The most convoluted name for a match I've heard of. 

- "You're a big motherfucker" good lord, the highlight of a very awkward, poorly executed segment. Nothing about this worked at all. Timing issues. Poor delivery. Really don't buy that Swerve would team up with those two neo nazi looking guys. Parker looks like a fucking idiot at all times. Swerve needs cool guys to hang out. Disband The Firm and move Moriarity and Big Bill over to Swerve's crew along with Shane Taylor. Also does AEW need more wrestlers at the moment? The double stomp looked great though for sure.

- I know AEW cycles guys in and out but how you find time for Ethan Page, Stokely Hathaway and Darius Martin but not Eddie Kingston should be fucking ILLEGAL. 

8 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Good! Hopefully something worthwhile and not just battle royal filler.

Not a trio and promoted as their own segment. "We Hear From" instead of "in action" against randoms. Although it can mean a 30 sec taped bit from backstage. Presumably something to continue the House of Black storyline that's been on the margins.

I'm getting more lost than usual on the Faction front. Parker B looks to have left the Trustbusters. Yay! No more Trustbusters you might think.

Except in the Three Kings Trios Royale you've got Ari Daivari teaming with Varisty Athletes. So are they the new Trustbusters or something else?

Kip Sabian also seems to be teaming with Butcher & Blade a bit now. Does that mean B&B are no longer LFI? Or were they never LFI?

Then obviously there's the whole Firm/Private Party/Matt Hardy situation.

7 minutes ago, Infinity Land said:

I'm getting more lost than usual on the Faction front. Parker B looks to have left the Trustbusters. Yay! No more Trustbusters you might think.

Except in the Three Kings Trios Royale you've got Ari Daivari teaming with Varisty Athletes. So are they the new Trustbusters or something else?

Kip Sabian also seems to be teaming with Butcher & Blade a bit now. Does that mean B&B are no longer LFI? Or were they never LFI?

Then obviously there's the whole Firm/Private Party/Matt Hardy situation.

I'm not convinced TK knows, so god help us!

For the most part, this was a brilliant episode. I know it's only been two weeks, but since ditching ROH, AEW seems back to its best. 

But before I get onto that, god that Swerve/Lee segment was bad. As soon as they announced Rick Ross as the "mediator", I knew it would be bad. In his previous AEW appearance, he absolutely ruined the segment by constantly talking in the mic, in a way that translated as incredibly awkward. That running commentary was really problematic here, the segment would have been infinitely better had they simply had Lee and Strickland converse in some way. I'm a little disappointed to see Swerve in a faction/trios team, as he has a shitload of potential as a top singles heel. 

The Danielson segment was really strong, and reminded me of why I love the guy. More of that, please. I actually thought Stokely added to that segment, and I laughed out loud when he called Danielson a "raggedy bitch". 

The Starks/Jericho segment was great, and I hope the story we now get is Starks' road towards the AEW title. I'd have loved to see Eddie Kingston unseat MJF, but I think Starks may be the guy. They've set up a brilliant long-term story if they play it right. I've no idea what Jericho saw in Andretti, though. At this stage, I don't know what sets him apart from, say, Dante Martin; who seems to be improving continually on the weaker aspects of his skillset. Time will tell whether having Andretti win in the way he did was worthwhile. 

Hangman/Moxley is fucking fantastic. This is rapidly turning into my favourite AEW story in some time. 

Try as I might, I can't bring myself to care about the trios division. I'd love to see those belts go away forever. 

I'm guessing FTR won't be sticking around when their contracts expire. I'm a fan of the Gunn Club, though, and I have no problem with them getting a push. 

On the whole, though, there are a load of feuds I care about at the moment. I really hope they learn their lessons from last year, and don't derail any momentum they build through things like Forbidden Door 2 or ROH storylines, as we approach the next ROH PPV. 

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

I'm guessing FTR won't be sticking around when their contracts expire.

I love FTR but also I'm not hugely bothered if they bounce from AEW. Outside of a third and final Young Bucks match I think they've pretty much done everything and faced everyone, can't say I can think of any big matches left for them.

5 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

I'm guessing FTR won't be sticking around when their contracts expire. I'm a fan of the Gunn Club, though, and I have no problem with them getting a push.

Dax just announced a podcast with Conrad's network. Not that it stops anyone. In the snippet he talked about Raw25 and having to put over Shawn's boys and mentioned Road Dogg (another Conrad pod person). Didn't give the greatest impression. Bit of a toss up.

It was pretty much guaranteed they'd be dropping the IWGP tag titles come Jan 4th. Kind of makes sense to lose while being beaten down. Then be built up again in the new year with a focus on the AEW tag titles if they end up staying.

I could see them going independent for a spell. Then pick a spot where they know they'd be locked into a storyline spot they want.

3 hours ago, Infinity Land said:

Dax just announced a podcast with Conrad's network. Not that it stops anyone. In the snippet he talked about Raw25 and having to put over Shawn's boys and mentioned Road Dogg (another Conrad pod person). Didn't give the greatest impression. Bit of a toss up.

It was pretty much guaranteed they'd be dropping the IWGP tag titles come Jan 4th. Kind of makes sense to lose while being beaten down. Then be built up again in the new year with a focus on the AEW tag titles if they end up staying.

I could see them going independent for a spell. Then pick a spot where they know they'd be locked into a storyline spot they want.

I'd imagine they're dropping the AAA titles to hermanos lee next week as well.

• Paid Members

FTR - but Dax in particular - are a great case study in how much social media and press appearances matter in 2022 and beyond.

On TV, they’ve had one of the greatest runs of any tag team ever, sprinkled with phenomenal TV singles matches on top of it, and yet I’m completely ice cold on them and wouldn’t particularly miss them if they went back to WWE, all because of how they present themselves when not between the ropes.

Moaning about how much they’re used, sulking things aren’t going their way, doing that exhaustingly dull thing of constantly teasing they’re retiring.

Top guys. Bore off.