AEW Dynamite Thread 2022

DavidB6937

21 minutes ago, The King Of Swing said:

As rough as the ending to Dynamite was it was nowhere near as shit as that Marina match. 

Shouldn't be anywhere near TV let alone being built up as Jade's 30th opponent.

Other than those issues though I enjoyed the show. 

I remember her having one Tag match in NXT on TV with Jessamyn Duke Vs Io and Kairi and she was dreadful and was never seen again so god knows why AEW have picked her up and put her in TV in a feud. 

Maybe they were getting ready to sign Roderick Strong(Husband) and then he decided to stay where he is.

Edited by TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members
On 4/15/2022 at 8:29 AM, HarmonicGenerator said:

This reminded me of something that happened before the (excellent) main event.

Excalibur was going on about the bit in Minoru Suzuki’s entrance everyone sings along to and how it’s his battle cry and JR called him out on it and asked him what it meant. And Excalibur didn’t bloody know. That’s one of AEW’s big issues in microcosm - knowing something Is A Thing is not the same as knowing what that thing is and why it happens. If you can’t explain it beyond “this Is A Thing that happens” then you have a problem.

I don’t think JR did that deliberately; I think he genuinely expected Man With A Mask to know. But if even he just accepts “this Is A Thing” without looking into it more, it makes everything that bit more niche and insider than it needs to be.

I think this is somewhat harsh - I'd taken it as being Excalibur not being sure of the translation off the top of his head. He apologised for that and said it was something to do with the wind, which was right - it means 'Become the wind'.

It's not the most obvious battle cry and it's not an easy explanation even with the translation. JR didn't know that, and I honestly wouldn't expect even Excalibur to be able to instantly remember and explain the lyrics to a Japanese song about ascending and freedom, nor that it's the most important thing about Minoru Suzuki.

Was it mildly embarrassing? Yes. I'm not convinced it's a summary of Everything Wrong With AEW either.

• Awards Moderator
34 minutes ago, Chris B said:

I think this is somewhat harsh - I'd taken it as being Excalibur not being sure of the translation off the top of his head. He apologised for that and said it was something to do with the wind, which was right - it means 'Become the wind'.

It's not the most obvious battle cry and it's not an easy explanation even with the translation. JR didn't know that, and I honestly wouldn't expect even Excalibur to be able to instantly remember and explain the lyrics to a Japanese song about ascending and freedom, nor that it's the most important thing about Minoru Suzuki.

Was it mildly embarrassing? Yes. I'm not convinced it's a summary of Everything Wrong With AEW either.

I’m not so sure about that. If it wasn’t that important, why draw focus onto it during the entrance and mention the battle cry. I remember the fuss kicked up last year when they stopped his entrance before this bit, so as far as AEW presentation goes it seems to be a very important part of Minoru Suzuki. It seemed to me to be Excalibur clearly setting up for a follow up with more information about it - but we were actually just meant to take it as read that it’s just a thing, no explanation needed. 

Thanks for providing the meaning by the way, that’s a fucking cool battle cry and I wish Excalibur had had the information to hand because that’s great!

• Paid Members

I'm looking forward to Dustin Vs Punk this week. I'd be most surprised if that wasn't the opening match.