Whether or not it going ahead is a sensible thing (fair few Covid outbreaks already), the Olympics is always a fantastic event. I will sit and watch any of it to be honest, and just love seeing people compete at the very top of their field. It genuinely makes me cry more than any other sporting event. 

Skateboarding makes a welcome debut (with Sky Brown the youngest Team GB member at 13!!!), as do Karate, Sport Climbing and Surfing, and new disciplines such as 3x3 Basketball, and BMX Freestyle, and with rumours of Kabaddi joining it next time, things can only get better.

Opening ceremony is Friday, but it all actually kicks off in a few hours with some Softball and Womens Football around breakfast time tomorrow. Lovely stuff.

Here is the full schedule: https://olympics.com/tokyo-2020/olympic-games/en/results/all-sports/olympic-schedule.htm and the BBC schedule (which is missing the Softball, so hopefully that's on the Red Button or something) https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00cmh07/broadcasts/upcoming

A visually nice schedule here as well from The Grauniad. https://www.theguardian.com/sport/ng-interactive/2021/jul/16/tokyo-2020-olympics-complete-event-schedule

Speaking of which, this article has already made me weep: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/jul/20/weightlifter-cyrille-tchatchet-from-despair-to-an-olympic-dream

Lets get in the mood with a bit of the greatest ever athlete and one of my all time sporting heroes. A man I loved so much that I dragged my Dad to Nike Town in London just so I could see these shoes.

Poor Roger Black. Might as well have given up pal.

(the actual video from the Olympics official channel wouldn't embed, sorry)

Let the games begin! Enjoy everyone (until they close it down)

I had a good laugh at Bolt's "it's not fair that modern technology will mean athletes can best my world record." As if every generation of Olympic athletes havn't benefitted from newer technologies, not just in footwear but also monitoring performance, working out diets, etc. 

• Paid Members

I don't care for athletics generally but I do enjoy that 15 minutes of something I'd not normally see bigged up on the sports section of the news while I'm grabbing lunch; fencing, canoeing, teakwondo. Bonus points if I have 0 chance of working out what the fuck it's all about like rhythmic gymnastics or that one where the horses just walk around. 

Edited by Tommy!

• Paid Members

I'm not a fan of any sporting events being in Asia because the timezone is shit for us, and the lack of crowd will be an even worse TV spectacle now we're starting to become used to at least semi-full stadiums again.

Plus, for obvious Fuck Team GB reasons, I hope the women's football team gets trounced.

Edited by garynysmon

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Not all swimming is shit. This was a lovely moment.

He's still a better swimmer than me.

And me. I do love some Olympics. I think I prefer the winter Olympics. I remember spending so much time watching the curling with friends. 

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, garynysmon said:

I'm not a fan of any sporting events being in Asia because the timezone is shit for us

Might be now we're grown up but I've still got fond memories of sitting all morning watching the 1991 World Championships in Tokyo. Summer holidays and being a bit of an early bird, that was fantastic. 

5 hours ago, garynysmon said:

Plus, for obvious Fuck Team GB reasons, I hope the women's football team gets trounced.

Alright, Juncker, wind it in.

I love the Olympics, generally, but the lack of any crowd kills it for me. That video Bacon posted of Michael Johnson in Atlanta just hits home why (I miss camera flashes at big events btw). I'll catch ut if it's on but won't be going out of my way like usual. 

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

Alright, Juncker, wind it in.

The idea of putting the existence of the Wales, Scotland, England and N. Iron national teams and associations at risk just to play a poxy Olympic tournament is maddening.

But having just slagged off the shit timezone factor, its just dawned on me that working on home won't be that bad next week with something to play in the background. With the lack of crowd etc I'm not sure I'd be setting aside my evenings to watch the Olympics, but it beats Daily Politics or some posh bastards looking for £800,000 houses in the Welsh countryside.

Edited by garynysmon

It’s sports day on a grand scale. I used to wag it on Sports day with my mates and we’d go round Pete Piggotts house and watch dodgy horror films. Later in life, Pete got sent down for killing his baby. 

• Paid Members
54 minutes ago, garynysmon said:

The idea of putting the existence of the Wales, Scotland, England and N. Iron national teams and associations at risk just to play a poxy Olympic tournament is maddening.

Football shouldn't be played at the Olympics (Futsal and / or Beach Soccer deserve that spot) so I sort of agree with you to a degree, but to suggest the Olympics are a threat to the individual FAs is daft. Plus Scotch players get to play in a team that might win something.

38 minutes ago, Guy Bifkin said:

Good win by the Lionesses to kick off the women's football. 

And the US got smashed 3-0 by a really good Sweden team!

Obviously I hope the US go all the way to the final because I really, really fancy Alex Morgan, but that was a surprise result.

5 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Football shouldn't be played at the Olympics (Futsal and / or Beach Soccer deserve that spot) so I sort of agree with you to a degree, but to suggest the Olympics are a threat to the individual FAs is daft. Plus Scotch players get to play in a team that might win something.

Curling?