Also Discovery+ are showing pretty much everything.

I worked at London 2012 and its a phenomenal atmosphere being there at the Games. As a hockey player (albeit very very minor level) I'm obviously hoping the women's team defend their gold medal and the men do well.

This is surely going to be a shit show for Japan in years to come, isn't it? Half the reason anyone hosts the Olympics is because of the tourist benefits, considering it costs a bomb. Tokyo will get none of the benefits and all of the hassle, and even the participants will be on edge because surely there'll be plenty of quality athletes who aren't travelling or will miss out due to positive tests or isolation. I get that they won't want to cancel, especially considering there will definitely be athletes for whom this is their last Olympics, but I can't imagine it being any good to watch.

24 minutes ago, Daaaaaad! said:

This is surely going to be a shit show for Japan in years to come, isn't it? Half the reason anyone hosts the Olympics is because of the tourist benefits, considering it costs a bomb. Tokyo will get none of the benefits and all of the hassle, and even the participants will be on edge because surely there'll be plenty of quality athletes who aren't travelling or will miss out due to positive tests or isolation. I get that they won't want to cancel, especially considering there will definitely be athletes for whom this is their last Olympics, but I can't imagine it being any good to watch.

I'm not saying the lack of tourism wont hurt, but the TV and sponsor money will still make it incredibly worthwhile for them.

• Paid Members
32 minutes ago, Daaaaaad! said:

I can't imagine it being any good to watch.

Did you not enjoy any of the crowd-less sport that has been prevalent over the last 16 months or so then?

1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Did you not enjoy any of the crowd-less sport that has been prevalent over the last 16 months or so then?

I think this is different, though. I imagine, for example, an athletics fan will still enjoy it all regardless. But for me (and countless others no doubt) who’s only a very casual observer, many sports which I would’ve ordinarily enjoyed will probably lose some of their appeal without crowds around. The best example I could give is Gemma Gibbons in the Judo nine year ago. I’m not a judo fan but watching her defeat opponent after opponent while the crowd cheered her on would’ve had a very different impact if there wasn’t anyone there to give it that big event feel.

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

I'm not saying the lack of tourism wont hurt, but the TV and sponsor money will still make it incredibly worthwhile for them.

The IOC hoover that up. I'd imagine they'll compensate Tokyo for the issues from their cut but if not, it could end up having lasting repercussions as the man said.

2 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

The IOC hoover that up. I'd imagine they'll compensate Tokyo for the issues from their cut but if not, it could end up having lasting repercussions as the man said.

Interesting. Surely the pros of hosting it even without the tourist effect outweighs the cons. I can't imagine a robust economy like Japan taking a loss making risk like this without significant financial gain.

16 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

Didn't Rio end up with even more debt after the Olympics, because the cost of hosting it is so much greater these days that it outweighs any increased income?

Athens too. Brazil was doubly hampered by the WC and then the Olympics. Mad bastards.

Mexico beat France 4-1 in a really good game today, with Gignac, yes GIGNAC, scoring against his beloved Mexico.

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

It is slightly different now we've had the Euros etc, so the Olympics is on a bit of an island (yes, I know) in terms of empty stadia. 12 months ago it would have been par for the course.

It was the same with the Copa America, I tried watching a few games but gave up after 10 mins or so. After a day of watching Euro 2020 matches in various capacity stadia, Ecuador v Columbia in a cavernous and empty bowl was incredibly shit.