7 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

That high jump was magical.  We could both just have gold, yeah?

The false start was sad, but that rule is on the tactical false starters of the past.

I just watched it again and I reckon the Italian has Chiellini'd him. The judge says something about the jump off, then says about them both having Gold, "this is possible".

The Qatari lad looks like he doesn't know what to do and before he knows it, Luigi Highjumpio is hugging him and jumping all over him, basically making the decision for him!!!

Fair play. 

Yeah, I get the rules on false starting, and he moved very early, but I still think the one strike rule is harsh. What was even harsher was interviewing him after. Absolutely brutal viewing.

21 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

I just watched it again and I reckon the Italian has Chiellini'd him. The judge says something about the jump off, then says about them both having Gold, "this is possible".

The Qatari lad looks like he doesn't know what to do and before he knows it, Luigi Highjumpio is hugging him and jumping all over him, basically making the decision for him!!!

Fair play. 

Was a funny one, but it sounded to me like the official was trying to go through how a jump off would go and the Qatari lad says something like ‘Can we have two golds’. Before the official can get anything out about them both agreeing to it, the Italian lad just goes crazy and that was that. 

Yeah that was how I saw it

The Official comes over about to explain how the Jump off goes and its the Qatari athlete who asks "can we have 2 golds"

The official mumbles something about it being possible and before he can get any further the Italian Jumps up and down "wanting to make history"

Don't think the officials had any other choice after that but to award 2 Golds 

I watch quite a bit of Athletics and that was in essence a fairy tale ending to that high jump. Barshim and Tamberi are both extremely popular guys on the circuit, have both overcome awful injuries and crucially are good friends by all accounts. Lovely stuff, especially for Tamberi. 

I don't know if it's a deliberate thing for her but if Rojas had a decent step phase she'd have broken that WR ages ago. Another lovely ending of an event though.

Mental day for Italian Athletics with Jacobs taking the 100m!

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

I can't think of an elite level athlete I've ever liked less. I bet he's devastated. 

Same here. Like Rafa, love Federer and obviously Murray, but Novax can fuck off. Detest the prick.

So, that's the treble for Italy then. Euros, 100m and Eurovision.

Who knew Sailing could have me shouting at the TV at 6am on a Tuesday

2 Golds for Britain this morning in the sea

Both races with dramatic ends, Holding off the Germans to get 1st place in the race by a fraction and taking the Gold from New Zealand in the overall standings 

And then an hour later, in what looked an almost certain Gold heading into the race saw a real battle as Giles Scott had a poor start and got stuck down in the lower middle of the pack as the Hungarian got away out front.

Slowly fought his way back and just before the line got into the 5th spot which was all was needed for Gold

Britain won every Gold in this class since 2000 but its now being removed from the games apparently 

Great mornings viewing anyway

Gone ahead of Russia (sorry the ROC) in the medal table as well now

EDIT: As I type we take silver as well now on the waters

Edited by MVP RULZ

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

Keirin where they chase the Deliveroo driver on his moped is one of my favourite cycling events.

I'd forgotten it's name, but I've been awaiting this event to pop up. I remember it being a UKFF favourite during the last Olympics. Absolute spectacle. 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Big'Olympic_Hero'Pete said:

Fair play to Laurel Hubbard. She worked her bollocks off to be there but her snatch just wasn't up to standard

You won gold in the shit jokes event mate. Congrats, have a couple weeks off.

Oh and also Guy Bifkin for liking the post

• Paid Members

Maybe one more suited for the Lame Claim To Fame thread but the younger sister of a girl I went through secondary school with won Silver in the Sailing today. A Miss Anna Burnet. Pity it was "Team GB" but I'm sure days for "Team Scotland" will come!

I'm one of those people who finds the Olympics to be a permanent annoyance because despite my giving not even a shit about it, it seems to infest innocent escapism like  Pointless and also pub quizzes with some vehemence despite me never meeting very many people who are remotely interested in it. Nothing worse than watching the Pointless final round when the couple opt to go for the fucking Olympics instead of the European capital cities that you were baying to answer! Cunts. 

Edited by SpiritOfTheForest