• Paid Members
1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

Rugby Sevens, whilst being an OK day out at Twickenham every so often, needs to be binned.

I might be going mad, but is it a full size pitch? It certainly looks it. Imagine playing 5 a side on a full size football pitch. Mental.

Not really, more like 8 aside and the 7 outfield are super fit. That would be a good watch. The 7s is great.

On 7/30/2021 at 9:42 AM, SuperBacon said:

Womens Archery Final went to a shoot off! Which would've been exciting but the South Korean bagged a 10 in her first shot and the 'Russian' couldn't match it.

If some South Korean men get their way, she’ll be forced to hand the medal back on the grounds of her being a short haired feminist. 

• Moderators

Moreover, why are the BOC pumping all this money into the already rich rowers, and we were still beaten by the potato mixed grill guys, when we should be looking into BMX and Wall climbers who haven't got a pot to piss in? 

Edited by PowerButchi

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, PowerButchi said:

Moreover, why are the BOC pumping all this money into the already rich rowers, and we were still beaten by the potato mixed grill guys, when we should be looking into BMX and Wall climbers who haven't got a pot to piss in? 

The fact we have these medalists now who have had to crowdfund to get to the games should make them give their heads a wobble. Absolute embarrassment for the BOC.

The Olympic "plan" was to essentially buy medals, so they put loads of money into disciplines that as a starting point not many people did anyway so it's a smaller pool to compete with. The positive from that is that the British public would be delighted with seeing a nice medal haul propped up by rowing and cycling success and if the odd gymnast, athlete or anyone else who sneaks in with something get through that's great. The counter to that is obvious to anyone, by spending all that funding with the ambition of dominating a couple of sports and barely giving money to anything other than those the odds of us getting success in those sports will be unlikely.

While I won't be holding my breath, I do wonder if the embarrassment of having champions in some of these things openly talking about how difficult it was and having to crowdfund just to be able to compete will lead to any change. More likely though is that they'll talk about their great achievements and wait for the few minutes of fame to disappear after the Olympics are forgotten about and throw more money at rowers to buy their medals back.

What an amazing photo. 

spacer.png

Was just watching the Mens Floor Final, which hurts my bad knees just watching. Some of the difficulties that they are now pulling out are absolutely mental.

Also lovely to see Djokovic finish outside the medals in the Tennis.

I'm sure he won't care given he's just won Wimbledon, and his thousand grand slams, but any opportunity to see that pleb knocked down a peg is well worth it.

I can't think of an elite level athlete I've ever liked less. I bet he's devastated. 

The documentary Gold Rush: Our Olympic Race to Glory on the iPlayer is well worth a watch if anyone is interested in this kind of thing.  Basically how Great Britain went from the embarrassment of Atlanta with only one gold medal and finishing 36th in the medal table to the heights of London 2012 (finishing 3rd in the medal table with 29 golds).

I was glad I stayed up to watch the mixed-relay Triathlon on Friday night, Jonny Brownlee finally winning a gold will go down as one of the highlights of the Games for me.  To jump in on something Butch posted, this is a sport that gets just £700K of funding and the British athletes have medalled in all three races, compared to the £25 million that Rowing gets and their paltry haul of just two medals (although I imagine the likes of Pinsent and Grainger will have the excuses to hand).

Athletics is going to be an interesting one to follow.  I'm not really as up with the sport as I have been in previous cycles, but with Dina Asher-Smith pulling out of the 200m there is a realistic chance we may not win any individual medals.  Hopefully Keely Hodgkinson can pick up something in the 800m, although Athing Mu has David Rudisha vibes about her with how effortlessly she makes it look, KJT is likely to be there or thereabouts in the Heptathlon and the only shout is potentially Laura Muir in the 1500m.  Considering athletics gets over £23 million of funding, to come back with no individual medals will be more of a disaster than the efforts of our rowers.

1 hour ago, Magnum Milano said:

Considering athletics gets over ÂŁ23 million of funding, to come back with no individual medals will be more of a disaster than the efforts of our rowers.

Is that not shared over the other 'track' disciplines as well?

Speaking of the athletics, watching the 100m Womens yesterday, what is the point of other nations bothering? Just make it an all Jamaica race, that would be much better.

Also, the awkwardness of the silver and bronze medallist not wanting to congratulate Thompson-Herah was amazing to watch. Beef between team mates always makes it more dramatic.

Edit: Dressagizzle

Edited by SuperBacon