Darkside of the Ring season 3 discussion

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, mim731 said:

Depends how much Flair is worth to Khan I guess. Is he worth money like Darby Allin, or is he more expendable like Jimmy Havoc? (Havoc is shit, but that's beside the point).

If Flair will make them money, he'll be brought in when this blows over, you'd imagine.

As for Dreamer, he's tight with Cody, so he'll be fine I suspect. 

Wrestling really is pretty grim sometimes. 

Sexual assault for decades from Flair isn't the same as being in an emotionally abusive relationship like Darby. I believe Havoc was accused of rape and admitted to it. I don't see how this would blow over to be honest. And for someone happy to ban Hogan, he couldn't allow Flair in. 

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

2 minutes ago, Winston said:

Really grim viewing.

Vince's lack of intervention or taking any responsibility came across really badly for me.

There was no mention of him grappling with Kurt Angle either, was that not the same plane ride?

Nah, that was the year before for Insurrextion 2001. 

Angle wouldn't have been on this flight. It was the Raw crew and he was on Smackers.

• Paid Members

I haven't watched any of the Dark Side of the Ring, but this one really intrigues me to the point that I will try and locate it while working today. It intrigues me for the reason that I've always heard of 'The Plane Ride From Hell', but didn't know of the story behind it. Watching the snippet above, just confirms how I already felt about Dreamer in that he is such a mark for anyone of status, that he would do whatever he could to get a pat on the head and a 'Good Boy'. 

To play down the Flair incident as though he had stuck a Vimto bottle down his trousers and ask the flight attendant if she wanted to see the Eiffel Tower, is just low. There are no words for the Flair accusations. 

Edited by Nick James

48 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Sexual assault for decades from Flair isn't the same as being in an emotionally abusive relationship like Darby. I believe Havoc was accused of rape and admitted to it. I don't see how this would blow over to be honest. And for someone happy to ban Hogan, he couldn't allow Flair in. 

Not sure if it’s intended but the wording here comes across as hugely apologetic towards Allin. 

I've not watched the episode yet, but the fact Ric Flair has a track record for this kind of behaviour has been openly acknowledged for some time, and ignored by wrestling journalists who should have done better. Jim Ross, in his book, alleges that WCW absolutely panicked about a potential PR nightmare after Flair exposed himself to two women. It's a deeply unpleasant story. Similar stories have been told by wrestlers and wrestling personalities on podcasts.

A culture where this kind of thing has no consequence, is a culture that allows #SpeakingOut to happen. 

Clearly, no one can go back and change decisions made years ago, but they can make decisions that shape the landscape going forward. Refusing to use someone like Flair going forward at the very least sends a message that actions, regardless of who you are, have consequences. 

• Paid Members

We've all read wrestling autobiographies and watched shoot interviews that are full of "ribs" that are basically just physical, emotional or sexual assault, or heard old-time wrestlers laughing it up about drugging and abusing women. Whether they've been held up as funny road stories or Wrestling Sleaze, it all falls under the same "boys will be boys" umbrella, and all of those stories are well overdue reframing as the stories of abuse that they are.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Ironic Indie Lad said:

Thank god for Tommy Dreamer going on there to put over the size of Flairs todger and bury the women who got assaulted. 

I mean EVERYONE was laughing about Flair doing the Ric Flair thing but you know, bloody woke warriors HAVE to take offense don't they? If we can't have a ruddy bloody laugh at a man sexually assaulting a female at her job then what can we laugh about?

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I’ve not seen it yet, and something I thought maybe a fun watch… well the reality is it lives up to its name. If Tony Khan is serious about things, Flair never debuts in AEW. Also, fuck Tommy Dreamer as well.

Why would anyone have any respect for Tommy Dreamer in the first place? He's always been an absolute twat. Plenty of ECW ghouls on Twitter defending him like it's still 1997, for my lunchtime reading amusement.