Darkside of the Ring season 3 discussion

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members
51 minutes ago, Tamura said:

So with all the Tommy Dreamer brouhaha I assume most people missed that in the same episode RVD said (and I'm paraphrasing from memory) that it was normal back then for wrestlers to drug women then rape them while they were unconscious?

You also missed that he wasn’t advocating or defending it, just pointing out it was something he knew others did. The opposite of what Dreamer was doing the whole episode.

36 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

You also missed that he wasn’t advocating or defending it, just pointing out it was something he knew others did. The opposite of what Dreamer was doing the whole episode.

Except I'm not suggesting people should be more angry at RVD than Tommy Dreamer. The focus seems to be entirely on Tommy Dreamer's excuses for Flair's behaviour, and completely ignores that it was apparently normal for wrestlers to drug and rape unconscious women.

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Tamura said:

Except I'm not suggesting people should be more angry at RVD than Tommy Dreamer. The focus seems to be entirely on Tommy Dreamer's excuses for Flair's behaviour, and completely ignores that it was apparently normal for wrestlers to drug and rape unconscious women.

Who do you want people to get mad at? Every wrestler in the 80’s and 90’s and 00’s for maybe doing it, or get mad and the ones accused of it?

36 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Who do you want people to get mad at? Every wrestler in the 80’s and 90’s and 00’s for maybe doing it, or get mad and the ones accused of it?

Since it's not a binary choice, how about they get mad at both? The rape culture from the time talked about by RVD shouldn't be completely ignored simply because Tommy Dreamer turns out to be a caveman.

• Paid Members
29 minutes ago, Tamura said:

Since it's not a binary choice, how about they get mad at both? The rape culture from the time talked about by RVD shouldn't be completely ignored simply because Tommy Dreamer turns out to be a caveman.

So, again, and pay attention this time, do we get mad at every wrestler at that time who may have been involved, or do we take our disgust and anger of those who were involved?

25 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

So, again, and pay attention this time, do we get mad at every wrestler at that time who may have been involved, or do we take our disgust and anger of those who were involved?

55 minutes ago, Tamura said:

Since it's not a binary choice, how about they get mad at both?

This isn't a difficult concept to understand. It's not "you can be mad at x" or "you can be mad at y", it's "you can be mad at x and y".

• Paid Members

I think it’s obvious this is a bigger, and more wide spread issue. The problem is who do we turn our backs on? Videos like this make it easier on who is an awful human, but don’t ignore the reaction by the interviewer here. Good old boys will be boys culture on display.

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

• Paid Members

I remember reading about flair giving willycopters to stewardess and goldust drunkenly singing to terri to "win her back" and a bunch of other stuff in 2002 and thinking what a right bunch of cunts they seemed. They were clearly people I'd enjoy watching or reading about but wouldn't want to meet. 

The fact it's been nearly 20 years for popular option to catch up that a lot of that isn't good form is sobering to just how much I'd write off as "boys will be boys" 20 years ago. 

Grim viewing, for most of them I bet that sort of behaviour happened on a frequent basis in previous years, it just seems that people and thankfully society started to change.

Although,  not related to the Plane Ride From Hell, on a side note, why the hell would Shawn Michaels and Marty Jannetty need to date rape people?  Both good looking guys (in the time period in question) and would not be short of attention. 

Guess it boils down to getting a kick out of the power and the "because they can attitude" either way, it is a Psychologists dream.

Edited by Abe_Knuckleball_Schwartz