Wrestlemania 37 - April 10th & 11th

Supremo

56 minutes ago, Mr Butternut Squash said:

I'm far from a "everyone deserves a spot at Wrestlemania" type of guy but it would be shocking if Jey Uso and The Street Profits can't even make a two night card after all they've invested in them the past year.

I'm not so surprised at the Jey Uso stuff. They haven't been pushing him because they want him to be the next star - they've been pushing him as part of the Roman Reigns family angle, and how many times has he lost? Sure he's been doing well but it's not like their long term goal is to get him over as a singles star or anything.

• Paid Members
26 minutes ago, garynysmon said:

As a total casual who doesn't watch weekly WWE any more, that looks like a piss poor card in terms of star power. Probably the weakest ever in that metric.

6 minutes ago, Perry said:

There was a time when a card like that wouldn't even cut the mustard for a SummerSlam.

For big names, they’re down Cena, Taker, Lesnar and Goldberg from the occasional appearances and Becky from the genuine superstars on the full-time roster, Charlotte at a push. They’re left with what they’ve done with rest of the week-in, week-out crew, which has AJ and Strowman devalued from where they were a year ago, Drew probably where you’d expect, Owens treading water, Rey being woefully underused, Randy Orton wasting time with the Wyatt retread and apparently Bobby Lashley being worth the WWE title. They’ve fucked themselves for getting guys into that “genuine superstar” position, apart from McIntyre (matter of opinion) they’ve only got Reigns and Bryan at peak level of over, and they’re going to be in the same match.

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, Perry said:

There was a time when a card like that wouldn't even cut the mustard for a SummerSlam.

There was a time when the attractiveness of a card to the viewing audience played a meaningful role in WWE's business.

• Paid Members

https://www.fightful.com/wrestling/triple-h-open-wrestlemania-match-aj-styles-needs-lighter-schedule-make-it-work

Man, Triple H vs AJ would have done this card a world of good. Thankfully it doesn't sound like it's been ruled out happening in the near future, hopefully with a full crowd. One of the last plausible dream matches left, for me.

10 hours ago, CL Punk said:

The Andre Memorial Battle Royal and The Smackdown Tag Team Fatal 4-Way have been added to the Smackdown before Mania.

That must suck for all involved, not even getting a match at Mania.

That your match doesn't even rate a spot on a kick off show.

Im surprised they're doing this, especially as it's two days. Usually they like to get as many people on the show as possible and, as I learnt on Wrestle Me!'s current round up of WM 34, there was 97(!) wrestlers on that years show.

3 minutes ago, Vamp said:

So what's the deal with the lack of returning legends? Can't be by choice, surely?

Because they can’t just rely on returning legends every year. Who in 2021 is there that they haven’t used the last few years already?

They’ve just used Goldberg at the Royal Rumble, Angle isn’t with the company anymore and shouldn’t be anywhere near a ring anyway, Undertaker “retired” less than 6 months ago but will be back one day. 
Im not against them bringing on a legend so long as it makes sense and it can help elevate someone in the process. Using them just for the sake of it doesn’t do anything for them long-term though 

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Im not against them bringing on a legend so long as it makes sense and it can help elevate someone in the process. Using them just for the sake of it doesn’t do anything for them long-term though 

We could have done with this thinking in 2011. Unfortunately getting in the “big names” for Mania whether they’re around the rest of the year or not has become so engrained in everyone’s perception that the guys that have been around all year don’t cut it for “WrestleMania” levels of aura now the old guard are coming to the end.

I think the card is fine as far as straight up wrestling quality. I can't see the matches being bad at all. But nothing on the card stands out as special. Drew vs Lashley should be a huge match, but it was on Backlash or Extreme Rules last year as a WWE title match, and neither man has elevated high enough to feel like a WM main event, even though Lashley is definitely doing better. I feel like Smackdown could have had something had they stuck with Edge vs. Reigns OR Bryan vs. Reigns- mashing them together just feels weird to me. Also, Sasha vs. Bianca could have been massive with the right build but feels like a mess too. 

9 hours ago, Perry said:

When you see the reaction to the card for WrestleMania this year, it just drives home the fact that WWE can no longer create stars.

Is it that they can't or they just haven't bothered? I feel like their mentality has shifted so much over the years that they're far more interested in investing time in WWE rather than in any particular wrestlers to try and create huge stars.