Wrestlemania 37 - April 10th & 11th

Supremo

1 hour ago, Suplex Sinner said:

Given how much autonomy Randy Orton portrays when he's on podcasts or his own Twitter feed, I can't understand why he's going along with The Fiend feud

On that note, I’m all for sacking off the Fiend feud and just having Randy vs. Soulja Boy at Mania (NSFW language in tweet):

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, Daaaaaad! said:

On that note, I’m all for sacking off the Fiend feud and just having Randy vs. Soulja Boy at Mania (NSFW language in tweet):

Reveal hidden contents

You know it's probably just so Soulja Boy can turn up and do some weird mashup of Crank That and The Fiend's entrance music. 

44 minutes ago, Daaaaaad! said:

Look at the state of Drew’s poses on this animated match graphic.
🤷🏻‍♂️

It’s almost as if every single thing they do is the opposite of what they should do. Drew is about as cool as a 1000 degree molten hot bramley apple pie with all this shit they keep doing to brand him.

Edited by Yakashi

• Awards Moderator

Today's useless WrestleMania stat I found out - with the exception of Hogan vs. Yokozuna at WrestleMania IX, last year's main event with Lesnar and McIntyre is the only time in 'Mania history that the main event was the shortest match of the night.

I also discovered that despite 'Manias these days lasting forever, the modern ones still generally have at least one sub-five-minute match, unlike WrestleMania XIII where the shortest match went just under 10 minutes.

Basically, I'm trying to use stats to get myself hyped up for WrestleMania the way Rick's stats build up excitement for the Royal Rumble. It's not working

• Paid Members
On 3/30/2021 at 4:57 PM, HarmonicGenerator said:

Today's useless WrestleMania stat I found out - with the exception of Hogan vs. Yokozuna at WrestleMania IX, last year's main event with Lesnar and McIntyre is the only time in 'Mania history that the main event was the shortest match of the night.

I also discovered that despite 'Manias these days lasting forever, the modern ones still generally have at least one sub-five-minute match, unlike WrestleMania XIII where the shortest match went just under 10 minutes.

Basically, I'm trying to use stats to get myself hyped up for WrestleMania the way Rick's stats build up excitement for the Royal Rumble. It's not working

There was a run where Manias levelled out for sensible numbers of matches lasting sensible time for a sensible show length but prior to XI the notable shorter ones I can recall were Bundy squashing SD Jones in seconds at the first, the Rooster and Bobby Heenan going a minute or so at V, The Harts crushing The Bolsheviks in 40 seconds at VI, Owen embarrassing Skinner at VIII, the aforementioned Yokozuna v Hogan and Earthquake v Adam Bomb at X as discussed earlier in the thread.

There were several matches edited down on the Mania VII tape to make you think they only lasted two minutes or less, but I think Tito vs The Mountie is the only one that is.

EDIT- I’m a moron - LOD barbecued Power & Glory in less than a minute as well.

Edited by air_raid

If the spoilers for Raw next week are anything to go by, there's only 2 more matches that'll be added to the card which will make it 7 matches on each night.  I can only assume the likes of Rollins V Cesaro and Owens V Zayn will probably go almost 30 minutes to pad each night out to around 3 hours. They'll have no Undertaker entrance to waste a good 15 minutes either.

The Andre Memorial Battle Royal and The Smackdown Tag Team Fatal 4-Way have been added to the Smackdown before Mania.

That must suck for all involved, not even getting a match at Mania.

That your match doesn't even rate a spot on a kick off show.

• Paid Members
23 hours ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

Today's uninteresting WrestleMania stat is that John Cena has won more titles at WrestleMania than anyone else - he's beaten someone for a belt six times at Mania.

That is actually interesting for me. It’s a great representation of the changing times, the gradual transition from the coke ‘n’ roids 80s when stars burned out faster and turnover of talent kept moving, to the 21st Century where the athletes are drilled in fitness and wellness to the point where they’ll be able to go longer after being hurried to the top younger, and as a consequence everyone hangs around forever, magnified by no competition forcing them to freshen up/no bidding wars for top talents.

Of Cena’s peers, only Orton, Jericho, Hunter, Taker and HBK had the longevity to potentially match his achievements at the top. Ortons had about 16 years of Mania appearances but after his first reign his ascent to frequent World Champion was delayed for a couple of years because reasons and then in his peak years as well as defending the title he challenged unsuccessfully at 22 and 25 before settling into the common spot of being a credible main eventer 12 months a year but usually having “just a match” at Mania to beef the card up, with Punk, Kane, Rollins, AJ, Edge etc with the occasional handicap, tag or four way nonsense thrown in - apart from his defence at 30 and win over Wyatt in that shitshow at 33.

Jericho was never really in with a shout given his on-off relationship with the company and probably didn’t challenge for midcard titles at Mania as often as you’d think, only going into Mania in the challenger role at 16 (x2) and 28, mostly having high-profile singles matches without titles involved, some successful (Shawn), others not so successful (Fandango). Shawn also had a split career, obviously, and only challenged for any gold at 10, 11, 12, 20 and 23. The Undertaker famously built a career on not needing to be a champion but it’s worth pointing out that (somewhat obviously) in amassing his “Streak”, every time he challenged for the belt at a Mania (13, 23, 24) he won it, before said Streak became as big as a title by itself.

Which leaves us with Triple H. He obviously had a fair few defences on top  as (usually) the heel to be shot at, with mixed results (16, 19, 20, 21, 25, 32) but wasn’t the challenger as often (18, 22, 24) and he’s another that spent most of the second half of his career having grudge matches without titles against Sheamus, Taker, Lesnar, Bryan, Sting, Rollins and Batista. He might have spent about 257 aggregate years as a champion but he was never pre-occupied with winning it at Mania, probably because as a baddie most of the time he knew he shouldn’t.

So, as undisputed face of the company booked exclusively as a babyface for the whole time, maybe it’s not surprising that Cena has won gold the most times at a Mania, taking home a big belt at Mania 21, 25, 26 and 29, padded by winning the US title at 20 and 31. It should be noted that he could have won more still with his challenge for the WWE title being turned back at 24 and 27. Even Hogan couldn’t have come close to Big Match John as despite being top of the bill at the first 9 Manias, he only went in looking to win the belt at 4, 5, 7 and 9, as WWF Champion going into four others, the first three consecutively and as part of the same epic reign - a further difference in the culture of title runs and changes in the eras between the first Mania and Cena’s time.

Edited by air_raid

4 hours ago, CL Punk said:

The Andre Memorial Battle Royal and The Smackdown Tag Team Fatal 4-Way have been added to the Smackdown before Mania.

That must suck for all involved, not even getting a match at Mania.

That your match doesn't even rate a spot on a kick off show.

I'm far from a "everyone deserves a spot at Wrestlemania" type of guy but it would be shocking if Jey Uso and The Street Profits can't even make a two night card after all they've invested in them the past year.

Also, unless there's some personal issue, I can't imagine Vince is leaving Bayley off the show. I'm convinced she'll have some kind of talk show segment with a surprise Becky Lynch, even if it is wishful simp thinking on my part.