Wrestlemania 37 - April 10th & 11th

Supremo

1 minute ago, Yakashi said:

According to Sasha, her match is main eventing whatever night her match is on.I’d guess the world title match with drew or Roman would go on first then to get the crowd into it

That would be Night 1

It was rumoured that Mcintyre vs Lashley would be the opener a few days ago which looks to be the way it will go then

I remember the time a Wrestlemania main event was the match of the card and went on last. All the promotion went into that match. All the spotlight was on these 2 involved. These days all matches on the show include mid card guys and they throw anyone last. There is no Wrestlemania main event anymore, its just you might get lucky your match might go on last

30 minutes ago, MEGABUCKS said:

I remember the time a Wrestlemania main event was the match of the card and went on last. All the promotion went into that match. All the spotlight was on these 2 involved. These days all matches on the show include mid card guys and they throw anyone last. There is no Wrestlemania main event anymore, its just you might get lucky your match might go on last

Which main events would you have changed in recent years then? If they're not actually the main event and just lucky.

1 hour ago, Perry said:

That's quite a coup for Belair, her first WrestleMania and she's in the main event match. Don't think anyone else has done that since Lesnar at Mania 19.

Not her first Wrestlemania technically, if you count kick off shows or not.

Edited by The Dart

36 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

Which main events would you have changed in recent years then? If they're not actually the main event and just lucky.

While I’ll agree that this year doesn’t really have a main event (they’re all basically tv matches outside of possibly the triple threat and the fiend debacle) as they have no stars, every other year the right match has gone on last with very few exceptions. It’s always been a title match or what they thought was Undertakers retirement match(es). They’ve done the right think almost all the time.

Sasha and Bianca absolutely don’t deserve to go on last in usual circumstances. Their story has been shit as they always are when they do these forced team up and break up angles. But the card is so weak that it doesn’t really matter. It’s fine. Drew and Lashley really is just a 10 minute raw main event anyway. I think if it was one night the trimmed down card would feel a bit more like wrestlemania.

Edited by Yakashi

• Paid Members

Nobody who has gone on last the past five or so years has been , “lucky.” Since  Mania became an exercise in endurance going on last has been a curse. Ask Becky Lynch and Kofi Kingston if they wished they could swap places the year they won their big matches. I know for certain how each would answer. Becky can even be seen on Network programming taking the piss out of how stupidly late her match was starting.

Of course, things might be different this year with the shows hopefully ending earlier, but either way the luckiest person on that card is Drew. The first man out in front of fans in over a year?Guaranteed huge reaction? Absolutely no pressure to go out there in front of exhausted fans that you can’t win around? He’s hit the jackpot!

I hope drew gets a super reaction. He’s been so great since he first won the belt. So reliable to have good matches and come off like a hard as nails monster (when not handicapped by some questionable booking). I hate the word deserves in wrestling, but that fella deserves a big moment.

9 hours ago, Perry said:

That's quite a coup for Belair, her first WrestleMania and she's in the main event match. Don't think anyone else has done that since Lesnar at Mania 19.

Not to rain on her parade - and I wouldn't blame them for bigging it up for her anyway - but it's not really the main event, is it? This is watered down, pandemic year two WrestleMania that's spread across two nights at the arse end of their biggest collective shoulder shrug of a year ever. It's not quite the factoid that it could have been.

I do wonder if it's even damaging the brand in the medium term somewhat, and if it'll have the same pull for people next year. Buyrates, attendance and interest in the event have fluctuated slightly from year to year but the modern WrestleMania up until now has essentially been a bullet proof international and domestic festival of WWE that's always done and felt about the same. This is from 23/24 on really, once Vince took it permanently back into stadiums. 

Financially impervious though they may seem, everything else about this company seems weirdly up in the air at the moment. WrestleMania being their flagship show might not change any time soon, but it's in a forced lull right now, and could take a few years coming out of that. 

It just feels different. And not in that usual disenfranchised fan way. 

• Awards Moderator

I suppose whether you consider the last match of Night 1 to be the main event of WrestleMania depends on whether you also consider the last match in each of the three venues from WrestleMania 2 to have been the main event. Doing it this way does turn the British Bulldogs into WrestleMania main eventers. And Greg Valentine for that matter. But if you only count Hogan vs. Bundy as the main event of WrestleMania 2, which I do, I would only count the last match of WrestleMania 37 as the main event - which would be the last match on Night 2. Last match of Night 1 is the last match before the interval, only the interval's 20 hours instead of 20 minutes and there's a chance for a sleep instead of a raffle.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

• Paid Members

Sasha and Bianca could very easily be a Wrestlemania main event - by the standards of this year's Wrestlemania, but only if they'd left it alone and more or less allowed the match to sell itself. Instead, they actively devalued the match with the shitty "can they co-exist?" storyline and making half the story about fucking Reginald. 

Still, the build for Wrestlemania 17 was about Debra's cookies.

• Paid Members

I was going to make a joke about how we should at least be happy that Sasha vs. Bianca hadn’t been turned into a Triple Threat involving Charlotte, but then I realised we’ve still got an episode of Smackdown to go. 

There’s still time. 🙁

• Paid Members

I wouldn't consider going on last on the first night of a 2 night Wrestlemania the "Main Event" but if that's the narrative they want to throw out to say it's happened then whatever. No better year to do it really because there isn't a single main event level match on either night.