Non Fans Comments

ReturnOfTheMack

My wife loves to think she's taking the piss by telling people "He still watches wrestling on YouTube" and laughs. 

Then I give it "I don't watch any current wrestling and haven't for years, but I do love the mystique and history of the wrestling business... anyway did you see the football at the weekend?" and change the subject.

• Paid Members

My 4 year old doesn’t really know what wrestling is, but she knows I like it. She has a few wrestling figures in her toy boxes that act as all sorts of different characters. She obviously still struggles to rationalise. As usual, we’ve had great craic today.

her: Daddy, is he your favourite?

Me: What do you mean?

her: The wrestler next to the sandwiches 

me: That’s a security guard, we’re in Morrison’s.

her: But he’s Snow Whites brother and he likes pizza and remember a long time ago, he put Micky Mouse in jail, with the Lego?

me: No sweetheart, that was King Mable. 

She’s convinced that King Mable is a security guard at Morrison’s.

I used to stop over at my nan and grandads house every Friday night up to my mid-teens so I'd end up watching WCW on Channel 5. My grandad was someone that wasn't necessarily a fan but used to like watching wrestling in the 70s at the local leisure centre or on World Of Sport so he'd happily sit with me and watch it, even though he didn't think the modern American stuff was as good. He'd also take any opportunity to tell me about the time he had a pint with The Great Togo aka Oddjob from Goldfinger.

He hated the big lads like Hogan, Nash, Sid and Kronik but loved the cruisers. His favourites were Mysterio and Kidman.

Edited by cobra_gordo

4 minutes ago, PowerButchi said:

Dad: Off.

Yep. SNME used to be on Thursday nights but my dad watched Question Time. He’d always fall asleep though so we would gradually turn the telly down until he nodded off and put the wrestling on. He’d always wake up though and soon enough, Robin Day and his twatty bow tie would be on the screen. 

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, hallicks said:

My mum accidentally stumbled across TNA on terrestrial a couple of years ago, and when I spoke to her on the phone the next day, she was genuinely appalled about the way the men were hurting each other. 

The mention of someone being appalled by happenings in TNA has reminded me of my mum showing me an angry letter in the local King's Lynn paper the week after they'd had a story about Magnus winning their title.

The correspondent had apparently sought out the show having read the article, but had been appalled by Mr Magnus' tactics & the fact he'd needed to employ the help of the owner of the company & other cronies to defeat his valiant American rival. This was not the kind of behaviour he expected to see from our sporting ambassadors abroad, nor to see it lauded in the local press.

I honestly couldn't tell if it was tongue in cheek or it's still real in West Norfolk.

• Paid Members

I know I’ve shared this story before but what the hell. Papa raid took me to the European tour that came to Telford five days after Mania X and other than being agog at how tall Diesel was, his only real reaction was when Luna Vachon came through the curtain :

”What the hell’s THAT thing?”

Every wrestler with long dark hair and a beard “Is that Dude?!”

”No, Dad that’s the undertaker”

also my Nan once came around whilst I was watching live wire or some such and exclaimed “I don’t know how you can watch that American football”

Edited by The British Bushwacker

• 1 month later...
10 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Whilst I was watching the main event of this week's AEW Dynamite, my mrs looks up at the screen and goes "Is that the Biscuits and Gravy man?" 

Some of the random things she's picked up over the years and still remembers crack me up. 

Fair play to her, he's almost unrecognisable now compared to how he was in his Festus days. She's got a good memory.