Non Fans Comments

ReturnOfTheMack

On 2/25/2021 at 10:25 PM, air_raid said:

I know I’ve shared this story before but what the hell. Papa raid took me to the European tour that came to Telford five days after Mania X and other than being agog at how tall Diesel was, his only real reaction was when Luna Vachon came through the curtain :

”What the hell’s THAT thing?”

I couldn't fucking believe when I moved to Telford in the Summer of 94 and kids were wearing wrestling shirts telling me the WWF was there recently. It was like a kid bullshit story that everybody was in on so I had no choice but to believe it.

• Paid Members

I remember being home from Uni one weekend and putting Royal Rumble 2010 on. I think as it's the first time I'd been home in a few months my old man wanted to spend a bit of time with me, so had a go of sitting through this wrestling bollocks he usually hated.

The first match was Christian vs Ezekiel Jackson. 'There's no way the white lad can beat the black one in a fight'.

Ten minutes later after Christian wins; 'I'm going down the pub'.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Liam O'Rourke said:

I couldn't fucking believe when I moved to Telford in the Summer of 94 and kids were wearing wrestling shirts telling me the WWF was there recently. It was like a kid bullshit story that everybody was in on so I had no choice but to believe it.

Similarly I couldn’t believe I had to go to Telford! Imagine my delight when I got to go the the UK Express tour in actual Birmingham - which I’m pretty sure you went to too.

Ah yes, the Bret/Mankind match...Telford is such a random place to travel to do a show. A Bret/Owen main event! 

To contribute my own, we'd taped Summerslam 99 and watched it the next day at my Nan's house. She was pottering around doing housework, and she walked through the living room to her bedroom right as Road Dogg replied to Chris Jericho, "Why don't you shut up, bitch?" My Nan stopped in her tracks and with ample disgust goes, "Oooooh, when did this get so ruuuuude."

I also remember my uncle stopping over on a Saturday when Scott Steiner just debuted. On some Smackdown, Steiner is walking backstage shirtless and just smacks and grabs Nidia's arse. My uncle just replied with a loud and slowly delivered "FUCK-IN ELL!". Still not sure what it was that got the reaction, Steiner's physique, Nidia's arse or the sexual assault, but it was like all three combined was too much for his senses and he reacted the only way he knew. 

I would badger my Mom for her favourite wrestler when I was a kid, even though she didn't give two shits. She would always reply with Sid Vicious. Around 96 time, Shawn Michaels was on TV and she mentioned she kind of liked him. As he was my favourite wrestler I was thrilled. Until she said, "But he's no Sid."

Edited by Liam O'Rourke

Dad: "it's crap these days. Back in the day it was all real, now its all staged"

Grandad: "he didn't even hit him!" 

Wife on Fiend: "I don't get it. He get is a maniac who gets the production guy to put bugs in the ring on a projector? Why would they go along w that?" 

Wife on Okada v Suzuki @ Royal Quest: "That was brilliant! Though I'm tired now"

Wife on Eye For An Eye: "so he popped out his eye and it was a ping pong ball colored with a sharpie? Er... Right!" 

Ex boyfriend on dives to the outside: "why don't they all move out the way? It was blatant he was going to jump on them" 

Lad from school: "blokes oiled up grabbing each other. Bit gay innit?" 

Mate on barbed wire AEW match ending: "that was embarrassing wasn't it!" 

Same mate on Mick Foley: "what sort of twat hurts himself intentionally like that? He'll be in a wheelchair in a decade" 

Nan on Shawn Michaels cira 97: "He's a bit of alright isn't he!" 

My future wife when I got powerbombed at my first show: "I thought you were dead!" 

A Dad with his teenage son at the NJPW show: "fuck I wouldn't mess with him! (Suzuki)" 

Yes many times I've tried to talk to or show non fans wrestling. My wife and best friend are the only ones that have bothered showing a remote interest. Looking at some of the shit over the years I can see why they think most of it is a joke. 

Edited by Michael_3165

• Paid Members

Yeah my stepdaf used to talk about how fake it all is nowadays compared to the old World of Sport stuff. We still used to love watching it together though. When we had Sky at my Mum's pub we'd sometimes stick the PPVs on the big screen and a load of the lads from our little backyard fed would turn up to watch them. They'd be some good nights. The first one was Survivor Series 2002 for the first elimination chamber. 

Mrs Jazzy's Uncle used to watch when Sky had it, and he'd ways moan about it being rigged, especially when a smaller guy beats a bigger guy. He doesn't get why they've got different names in AEW, either. 

• Paid Members

My Dad isnt much of a fan of wrestling, but knows enough to have a hilarious chat where I see he doesnt quite know what's going on. When Chavo Guerrero joined TNA back in 2012, I'll remember this until the day I die. Not because Chavo had developed form that made me take an interest in him for once in his career. But because my Dad told me "I was watching WWC the other night and Chatcho showed up."

Chatcho from WWC. Couldnt even get "WCW" correct when he was mistaking them for TNA.

• Moderators

My dad liked exactly one match in his life.

he saw Taz vs Johnny Smith on Bravo in 1998 and declared it "proper that. Real!"

Then after it I went back to TNT and Stevie Ray was on teaming wiht someone, probably Horace or something. "Fucking shite, I'm going to bed".

I lent a friend CM Punk: The Best In The World bluray and when I got it back, I asked her what she thought and her reply "the documentary was really good but I don't get it".

"What don't you get?"

"He wrestles in the big matches, he gets to make a ton of money...so, why is he such a miserable bastard?"

I couldn't argue against her summation of Punk.

Edited by CL Punk