WrestleMania 30-something.... have you lost track??

air_raid

• Paid Members
As we all know, they removed the "number" from the WrestleMania title after 30. At some point this has caused a disassociation in my head between which number would have related to which year and (maybe this is my interest waning) I also now have difficulty remembering what happened at any particular show or what year certain matches happened.

It used to be easy, even in years of my declining interest I knew which Mania we're talking about. "Mania 27" immediately makes me think of Miz and his video, "Mania 29" is easily recalled as the most predictable top end of all time, where Cena/HHH/Undertaker predictably won the belt/got their win back/protected their Streak against Rock/Brock/Punk. The other day I caught myself falsely remembering that Rollins finally won the belt back - beating Lesnar - in 2017 - but that's wrong, isn't it? I realized not only could I not say which Mania was say, 34, but that I have no idea what number they're up to until I note that 40 will be 2024 and consciously work backwards. 

Do any of year have a moment you stopped being able to keep track? For me, its Mania 32. For a variety of reasons, Mania 31 stands out in my mind. The look of the show was somewhat different and it's easy to remember Seth cashing in, Sting trotting out againt Hunter and his Terminator entrance, and even little things like Orton's RKO to Rolins out of the stomp attempt, and Paige having her last match for ages. The 2016 edition/32 I also can recall in a pinch. Maybe it's because I'm a massive fan of AJ and 2016 was his debut year, so I automatically remember that's the year he wrestled Jericho, and as the year after Lesnar/Reigns (first time) its HHH/Reigns after Hunter hilariously won the Rumble, and since it's not the Reigns/Taker year, it will have been Taker/Shane.

After that.... it all blurs together. I can't recall immediately what year Reigns stupidly lost to Lesnar in a crap match, which year it was Rollins winning the belt, which year Taker squashed Cena, and at times there are some matches I forget even happened, like Lesnar/Ambrose and Rollins/HHH. Which year did AJ wrestle Nakamura and which year did he wrestle Shane? Who did Orton wrestle at Mania 28? Kane. Who did he wrestle at Mania 34? No idea. Was he on the card? I just read a post mentioning Cena/Bella vs Miz/Maryse, when the hell was that? Has Rey even had a Mania match since he came back?

Maybe this has become more of a point of me losing interest in the product in general or at the very least a state of cognitive dissonance but honestly, dropping the number from each Mania has really made it even harder to keep track.

• Awards Moderator

I feel completely the same. God knows what happened in any of the 30s. Given Superbowls religiously stick to roman numerals and Vince's obsession with wrestling being portrayed as a 'real' sport I'm surprised the numbers went away. 

In films a lot of series have ditched numbering as market research shows people won't chance into a film if they have missed previous entries (see: Marvels, recent Terminators). I wonder if someone has whispered that in McMahon's ear. 

This is probably going to sound stupid but it's likely around the time I stopped collecting the DVDs and Blu-rays and decided to just stick with the Network.

Over the years I'd rewatch the videos, DVDs and Blu-rays and know them inside out.. if not from the watching then from the covers at least.

Now it's really just watch them once on the Network and mostly forget about them.

I hadn't actually realised how insignificant most of it was until the Undertaker documentary series where I genuinely didn't remember some of it happening.

I’m ok with manias each year but the ppvs in between have become a blur to me from 2014 onwards, like David said I’m similar in that either watching tapes of the ppvs from 2000-2005 when they were on sky sports or watching the dvds afterwards on repeat I can remember all the matches,  but then from the network era I can’t pick them out the same.

I remember reading somewhere that they dropped the numbers due to the fact that the didn't want certain Legends appearing (say The Rock) at Wrestlemania 37 and then say that he wrestled Hulk Hogan at Wrestlemania 18 because it comes across as old (well, it actually is!).

It's all a bit vain and presumably, the rational behind the thinking is because they no longer have the numbers attached to the event they don't expect fans to look it up and see when it was and then twigg that it was 19 years ago.

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Your Fight Site said:

I’ve felt like this from about WrestleMania 21.

Genuinely the same. I know people scoff at them binning the numbers, and it is pointless, but since 2005 I have to work on the year rather than the number. 30 being the exception. 

• Awards Moderator

It’s 32 for me too. 31 is quite clear in my memory, and I’m fine for everything from 30 backwards (except 25 which I didn’t see at the time and have very little recollection of). But 32 onwards all blurs into one, getting blurrier and blurrier as it goes. I think I could tell you the main events but I’d have a hard job beyond that. It’s a shame, because I could tell you most of the cards of Manias 1-20 without even really needing to think about it.

Except the tournament from IV.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

As above I'm the same age as the Mania number that's about to take place apart from for about 6 weeks of the year where it's the same, so I'll always know which one we're on for as long as they've stopped numbering them.

Also, my older brothers who got me into wrestling don't watch it anymore, but they'll always ask me "what number Wrestlemania was it this year?" and then when I tell them they gasp, surprised at how old they are.

As for remembering specifics about the Manias, I was at 33,34 and 35 so I'll remember them.

I definitely need an extra few seconds in my head to calculate what Mania was on what year and what happened since they binned the numbers. I can do it, but it requires a little more brain power. Ask me what happened at WM19, WM23, WM29 and I can rattle off most of the matches in an instant. 

I went to WM33 so that helps things a little. My first Mania live. I have like one main thing about each Mania in my head that helps me identify them:

31- Seth cash in

32- AJ WM debut

33- Hardyz return

34- Ronda

35- Kofi-Mania

36- Rona

• Paid Members
29 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

Except the tournament from IV.

Unfortunately I can remember every dreadful match. Plus undercard. Bulldogs/Koko v Islanders and The Brain is a fun little match.