WrestleMania 30-something.... have you lost track??

air_raid

• Paid Members
21 minutes ago, KingofSports said:

spacer.png

Is what? Leaves, prawn-onions(?!) & cucumber raita

Donner meat and garlic Mayo. Wouldn’t dream of sullying that meal with veg.

I have an eidetic memory of every main event up to around 32 then it becomes fuzzy for the last 4, feel free to correct me if any are wrong

1 - Hogan/Mr T vs Piper/Orndorff

2 - Mr T vs Piper, Dream Team vs British Bulldogs, Hogan vs Bundy

3 - Hogan vs Andre

4 - Savage vs DiBiase

5 - Hogan vs Savage

6 - Hogan vs Warrior

7 - Hogan vs Slaughter

8 - Hogan vs Justice

9 - Hart vs Yokozuna, Hogan vs Yokozuna

10 - Hart vs Yokozuna

11 - Bigelow vs Taylor

12 - Hart vs Michaels

13 - Undertaker vs Sid

14 - Michaels vs Austin

15 - Austin vs Rock

16 - Rock vs Foley vs Big Show vs Triple H

17 - Austin vs Rock

18 - Jericho vs Triple H 

19 - Angle vs Lesnar

20 - Triple H vs Benoit vs Michaels

21 - Triple H vs Batista

22 - Cena vs Triple H

23 - Cena vs Michaels

24 - Edge vs Undertaker

25 - Triple H vs Orton

26 - Michaels vs Undertaker

27 - Miz vs Cena

28 - Cena vs Rock

29 - Cena vs Rock

30 - Batista vs Orton vs Bryan

31 - Lesnar vs Reigns into Lesnar vs Reigns vs Rollins

32 - Triple H vs Reigns

33 - Undertaker vs Reigns

34 - Lesnar vs Reigns

35 - Lynch vs Flair vs Rousey

36 - Undertaker vs Styles, McIntyre vs Lesnar

I genuinely had no idea that WWE had stopped using the Wrestlemania number, which is odd as I've still watched most of them in recent years.

I've no problem knowing which number is happening in a given year as it is simple maths, but after 20 or so I couldn't tell you what the main matches of each event were. The earlier ones are probably seared into my memory due to either growing up with them and/or having them on VHS.

Scary that I could probably still rattle off the match order and finish of every match in WM 6 or 10 for example, but struggle to confidently name two matches for any of the last 10+  events.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Onyx2 said:

Is that where someone sprays tartare sauce on your face? 

It's one of my oldest and dearest friends. He lives in Cornwallcestershire. We once spent a whole new year's day playing Smackdown 2 on PS1. We feuded when we were backyarders. 

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, RoryFice said:

I've no problem knowing which number is happening in a given year as it is simple maths,

Let’s not confuse memory with maths. Off the top of my head V was 1989, 19 was 2003, 31 was 2015. If you asked me cold what year was 34, I don’t know, but MATHS!1 clearly makes it 2018.

• Paid Members

I've got a WWF mug at work with a picture of Hogan and Warrior on it, that a colleague gave me when he left last year. Someone recently asked me what year it was from, and then was slightly taken aback when my means of working it out was to start at Wrestlemania 1 and work my way forward from there, naming each main event as I went. That led to a bit of a challenge to see how far I could get.

Generally there's a couple that come easier than others, but it goes properly downhill after Wrestlemania 20. Pretty much everything between 20 and 30 I'd struggle to have even an educated guess at, 30 I remember pretty well, while 31 onwards I can usually sort of figure out as they're more recent, but no chance I'd get them in the correct order.  And that's just main events, sod remembering what the undercard matches of Wrestlemania 26 were.

• Awards Moderator
3 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

I've got a WWF mug at work with a picture of Hogan and Warrior on it, that a colleague gave me when he left last year. Someone recently asked me what year it was from, and then was slightly taken aback when my means of working it out was to start at Wrestlemania 1 and work my way forward from there, naming each main event as I went. That led to a bit of a challenge to see how far I could get.

Generally there's a couple that come easier than others, but it goes properly downhill after Wrestlemania 20. Pretty much everything between 20 and 30 I'd struggle to have even an educated guess at, 30 I remember pretty well, while 31 onwards I can usually sort of figure out as they're more recent, but no chance I'd get them in the correct order.  And that's just main events, sod remembering what the undercard matches of Wrestlemania 26 were.

Triple H and Sheamus must have been 26, because Sheamus was only around from 2009 and Triple H went part-time from his Undertaker matches onwards which began at 27. Orton, Cody and Ted Jr had their triple threat at 26 ... which must mean Orton didn't face Punk, so Punk vs Mysterio as well? 2011 was 27, which always sticks in my mind because it's the last one I watched with friends before the shows became a day-long trial to get through. Which makes 26 a 2010 ... what was in 2010. Edge and Jericho for the title? Edge won the Rumble that year, so that makes sense... and I don't think I could go beyond that, now I think about it. Oh wait, Undertaker and Michaels as well.

Even that, as you can see, involves a lot of convoluted memory logic tricks. Whereas X-Seven, off the top of my head, without even thinking about it I can go Jericho-Regal, APATazz-RTC, Raven-Kane-Show, Test-Eddie, Angle-Benoit, Chyna-Ivory, McMahon Street Fight, TLCII, Gimmick Battle Royal, Taker-HHH, Austin-Rock.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, air_raid said:

Let’s not confuse memory with maths. Off the top of my head V was 1989, 19 was 2003, 31 was 2015. If you asked me cold what year was 34, I don’t know, but MATHS!1 clearly makes it 2018.

Let’s not ask when the 25th anniversary of WrestleMania was, then…

• Paid Members

To be fair, there are loads of memorable moments from the recent WrestleManias, just none of them in the show itself. You've got:

• The time the stadium Wi-FI crashed and they couldn't scan anyone's ticket to let them in.
  • The time the show ran so long the main event started the next day. (And god bless Wikipedians for always getting the subsequent title change correctly dated.)
  • The time the show running late meant the last trains from the venue had gone so everyone had to queue for hours in the rain for an Uber.
  • The time WWE was so lacking in creative they couldn't even make up a fake crowd number so they just took the real one and added exactly 10,000.
  •  The time they exploded fireworks just behind the back row and scorched some fans.
  • The time people nearly got crushed on the staircases leaving the SuperDome.
  • The time they put up massive pillars round the ring to look like palm trees and some people couldn't see all of the ring. 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, BomberPat said:

I've had similar conversations to that - but each time, it turns into a 'Hey, what happened to [wrestler]?' 'Dead.' 'Oh man, I loved them. What about [wrestler]' 'Dead too.' 'Oh wow. [Wrestler]?' 'Dead.' '[Wrestler]?' 'Dead, along with wife and child.'

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, Chris B said:

I've had similar conversations to that - but each time, it turns into a 'Hey, what happened to [wrestler]?' 'Dead.' 'Oh man, I loved them. What about [wrestler]' 'Dead too.' 'Oh wow. [Wrestler]?' 'Dead.' '[Wrestler]?' 'Dead, along with wife and child.'

My brother stopped watching wrestling in 2001, and has admirably kept up a running joke for twenty years that he doesn't realise Kurt Angle is bald now. That often segues into a discussion of how everyone is bald now.

Most recently, I pointed out that Scotty Too Hotty is bald now. He asked if Grandmaster Sexay was, to which I responded, "no, he's the other thing".