WWE Royal Rumble 2021

tiger_rick

I maintain that the two men’s title Matches and Rumbles were good, but the More I think about it the more stupid shit I can think of.

Riddle basically eliminating himself was fun. Nob.

I’m amazed how bare the cupboard feels so close to Mania.

I haven't watched WWE in a long time, the commentary is absolutely hideous these days and makes it so difficult to get into anything, this along with the annoying piped in crowd noise, has WWE ever been worse? 

Let me add, I meant watching the rumble was my first time tuning in for a very long time. 

Edited by thevestofdeanambrose

3 minutes ago, King Coconut said:

Sounds like they at least didn't wheel out any racists, rapists or murderers. Things are looking up. 

Really? They regularly use Hulk Hogan, and although the allegations against them have not been proven Matt Riddle, Velveteen Dream and Austin Theory still get used pretty regularly, and there are multiple accounts (including a particularly disturbing one in JR's book) of Ric Flair exposing himself to women. Things are as morally grim as ever as far as WWE goes. 

Like a lot of people here, I don't keep up with the product nowadays, and I mainly get my news on events from Twitter or this forum but thought I'd check out the Rumble. 

The last Rumble ppv I watched live was 2017, when Orton won it, and he was feuding with Bray Wyatt. Glad to see things have moved forward since then. 

The returns for the mens Rumble were spoiled by the network match tags at the bottom, so that was great.

Saw the Goldberg vs Drew match last night as I couldn't sleep, and I just couldn't understand why it was happening, the video package made no sense. Goldberg going on about respect, when Drew hasn't said anything about him. Great way to start a feud. 

The match was what it was, standard Goldberg stuff, was weird to see one of the most physically imposing wrestlers of the last 20 years selling for an old man who was sweating profusely. 

Skipped to the Women's Rumble and then fast forwarded to the last 4, saw Charlotte was in it, and then carried on fast forwarding.

No interest in any of the other matches, so skipped them as well. 

Went to the men's Rumble, heard Randy Ortons music, that he's had for 10+ years, and the memories of sitting through countless boring Randy Orton matches came flooding back and I found myself forwarding 90 seconds to the next wrestler.

Sami Zayn comes out, not interested.

Ali is out next, not interested. 

Zigglers music hits, nope. 

Kane is here..... 53 year old Kane, is in the Royal Rumble in 2021. Why is he eliminating people? He's 53?

John Morrison and Carlito are here, it's 2009 all over again. 

Riddle (like Cher) comes out, playing to the non existent crowd, looking from side to side, good work being done at the PC I see.

The Miz comes out, existential crisis. 

They are 0 stars in this Rumble. 0. Edge is the closest thing to a star, and he's going to be 50 soon. 

Skipped through the rest of it, saw the final 4 of Braun Strowman, Seth Rollins, Edge and Christian, which may be the most boring final 4 of all time.

Edge wins but they do the same spot that they always do, heel runs in after not being eliminated, and this time boring Randy gets dumped out, making him the dumbest wrestler of all time.

Also, how do people put up with listening to Michael Cole every single week? He's the absolute worst. 

Unlike a lot on here, I quite enjoyed the Rumble but with a quite a few but.... moments

Drew beating Goldberg was what it should have been but as someone said earlier if people's reaction is "thank god Goldberg didn't win" thats a problem. It shows mistrust in those in booking that they can create stars

Carmella/Sasha was fine. Sasha vs Bianca should be great

The womens Rumble was OK with the last 10 mins being awesome. Ripley looked strong. Belair doing the Flair run including tears in her eyes was a good way to make her legit. She can be a star but this is WWE we're talking about. Also, lol at the people who thought bringing Jillian Hall would be a big deal. Betting that she would have got the Carlos Colon pop from the 93 Rumble?

Reigns and Owens was great until the end. That handcuff business was hilarious. To be to Cole who had a shocker with the "No. 3 is a bad number" stuff but he was right to say that it was a "key of some sort". It was a key, just not the right one. 

The mens Rumble told a great story with Edge going from the start to the end. The story of Edge trying to win the title he never got beat for will be fun to watch. 

The biggest problem however was that only 2 of the 30 in the men's Rumble were under the age of 30. That's a huge problem going forward. In 5 years who are going to be the guys to be the top guys and with the Peacock deal at 200 million a year and the brand being bigger than the wrestlers mentality, WWE television is going to be very meh in the next decade. 

12 minutes ago, King Coconut said:

Sounds like they at least didn't wheel out any racists, rapists or murderers. Things are looking up. 

Well they did have Matt Riddle, who actually put in a pretty decent performance until he inexplicably eliminated himself. Jerry Lawler's commentary in the Rumble was a bit off too, especially seeing as they want to move away from the sexualisation of the women.

Just remembered, I had a proper laugh out loud moment during the womens rumble. I was fuming that they had the 24/7 thing in the match, but when Truth pinned Alicia Fox and everyone was chasing Truth, about 3 seconds later just at the bottom of the screen you could see Alicia chasing too, made my chuckle.

5 minutes ago, sukhy said:

Like a lot of people here, I don't keep up with the product nowadays, and I mainly get my news on events from Twitter or this forum but thought I'd check out the Rumble. 

The last Rumble ppv I watched live was 2017, when Orton won it, and he was feuding with Bray Wyatt. Glad to see things have moved forward since then. 

The returns for the mens Rumble were spoiled by the network match tags at the bottom, so that was great.

Saw the Goldberg vs Drew match last night as I couldn't sleep, and I just couldn't understand why it was happening, the video package made no sense. Goldberg going on about respect, when Drew hasn't said anything about him. Great way to start a feud. 

The match was what it was, standard Goldberg stuff, was weird to see one of the most physically imposing wrestlers of the last 20 years selling for an old man who was sweating profusely. 

Skipped to the Women's Rumble and then fast forwarded to the last 4, saw Charlotte was in it, and then carried on fast forwarding.

No interest in any of the other matches, so skipped them as well. 

Went to the men's Rumble, heard Randy Ortons music, that he's had for 10+ years, and the memories of sitting through countless boring Randy Orton matches came flooding back and I found myself forwarding 90 seconds to the next wrestler.

Sami Zayn comes out, not interested.

Ali is out next, not interested. 

Zigglers music hits, nope. 

Kane is here..... 53 year old Kane, is in the Royal Rumble in 2021. Why is he eliminating people? He's 53?

John Morrison and Carlito are here, it's 2009 all over again. 

Riddle (like Cher) comes out, playing to the non existent crowd, looking from side to side, good work being done at the PC I see.

The Miz comes out, existential crisis. 

They are 0 stars in this Rumble. 0. Edge is the closest thing to a star, and he's going to be 50 soon. 

Skipped through the rest of it, saw the final 4 of Braun Strowman, Seth Rollins, Edge and Christian, which may be the most boring final 4 of all time.

Edge wins but they do the same spot that they always do, heel runs in after not being eliminated, and this time boring Randy gets dumped out, making him the dumbest wrestler of all time.

Also, how do people put up with listening to Michael Cole every single week? He's the absolute worst. 

I think... think... you might not like wrestling.

If I had zero interest in the talent of the past, talent of the present or talent of the future I would have hated it too.

There’s definitely a dearth of star power currently, but I think their major issue is a lack of direction (appreciate I’m banging on). They have a fantastic roster of talent capable of tremendous matches. They just don’t have any stories to get them there.

• Paid Members

@stewdogg I like the idea of Edge's "I want to try and regain the title I never lost", but don't think it needed a Rumble win to get it going. Maybe they could have had it become all consuming and a little return to the "ultimate opportunist" heel character. Have him in a money in the baki ladder match, keep him away from some of the higher risk spots, maybe Christian gets involved and helps him win it? I just worry that Orton is going to end up winning the title from Drew again between here and Mania. 

4 minutes ago, Tsurutagun said:

Also, lol at the people who thought bringing Jillian Hall would be a big deal. Betting that she would have got the Carlos Colon pop from the 93 Rumble?

The biggest problem however was that only 2 of the 30 in the men's Rumble were under the age of 30. That's a huge problem going forward. In 5 years who are going to be the guys to be the top guys and with the Peacock deal at 200 million a year and the brand being bigger than the wrestlers mentality, WWE television is going to be very meh in the next decade. 

Do you really think anyone actually though that? I mean nobody would have got a pop in an empty arena anyway. The biggest pop for an entry in the 93 rumble was for Max Moon.

I don't think it matters how old someone is, if they're booked well then it doesn't really matter. Most of the best stars of years past have always been in their peak in their 30's. Aside from the Rock were any of the other big stars under 30? Bret was at his best when he was 36, Steve Austin 32, Triple H 33, Undertaker 30, Macho Man 35 etc..

@sukhygreat insight, imagine all that time you wasted to watch it when it seems you were gonna hate it irrespective of what was presented to you.

10 minutes ago, Tsurutagun said:

Who were the 2? I'm guessing Dominick has to be one.

That is very worrying though.

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, sukhy said:

You're bound to get things spoiled if you are skipping things as frequently as it seems you were in the rest of your post. I watched it unspoiled and skipped a few times, but knew the tags would be at the bottom so just used the fast forward button and had nothing spoiled. Of all the things to get mad at, i think thats maybe one thats on you.