WWE Royal Rumble 2021

tiger_rick

• Awards Moderator

First WWE show I've watched since Survivor Series, and enjoyed it. Not amazing but not bad at all. Although, when did they start doing that weird fade-focus thing on entrances that makes it look like a videogame? I hate that and it can get in the bin.

McIntyre vs. Goldberg was a standard Goldberg match, but Drew won so it was fine. Reigns vs. Owens was a standard WWE stunt match, but Roman won so it was fine. I've already forgotten what Banks vs. Carmella was like, but I think Sasha won, and that, too, was fine.

Women's Rumble was decent, with Billie Kay being a proper highlight - she brought it all to life more than anyone else in there, and I would have been happy to have her stick around longer before her elimination (or go back onto commentary). Belair is a good choice to win, though I remember her performance last year when she didn't win being more impressive.

Edge worked fucking hard in the Men's Rumble, seriously impressive work from him. He was bumping for nearly an hour, which is crazy considering the state his body must be in. The Rumble itself was good-not-great, with the usual mix of good moments (Damian Priest looked strong, E&C reunion, Dominik getting rid of Corbin) and disappointing ones (I'd have had Bryan in the closing stretch instead of Rollins, but the way it happened, Bryan vs Rollins at Mania would be alright?). As I said in the Raw thread last year, I'm up for Edge vs. Reigns or Edge vs. McIntyre so quite happy with him as a winner, and he certainly didn't half-arse it to victory, what a performance.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator
Saying 'fine' even more than I intended

“Stand back! There’s a Hurricane...”
“oh for fucks sake, I knew he’d fucking show up”. 
Had Carlito returning spoilt for me this morning, but the appearance of An Advert at #26 was quite the surprise.

It wasn’t bad, but it wasn’t particularly great either. Hopefully they blow off Orton/Edge between now and Mania rather switching one of the belts to Orton.

Belair winning was great, but they hardly did anything with the Charlotte/Lacey storyline. 
“A great effort tonight by Shotzi Blackheart” - she was in for less than 3 minutes. 
Tamina missing out on the #30 spot to end coming in at #25, didn’t really miss on much did she.

• Paid Members

Usually when you lose the match for number 30 you end up having to be number 1, but then imagine Tamina coming out at number 1 and having to start a Rumble. That would have been rough. 

• Paid Members

It was interesting to see who's come along since Mania, but predictably not very much has changed. For example, the commentary equivalent of an eggy fart, Byron Saxton, is still somehow employed and announcing on the proper shows. The production is still an expensive-looking assault.

Drew v Big Bill was as decent a match as you'll get out of Goldberg, these days. Granted, the Jackhammer was nasty, but the rest felt like heavyweights throwing haymakers. Drew absolutely looks like a million bucks and a "proper wrestler". You can definitely see his confidence has massively bumped up since Wrestlemania. The Goldberg star power is absolutely squeezed now and I have no clue what they do next - every time I see him in a match he seems to lose. 

Booker T looked like he was trying his hardest not to pish himself laughing during that performance. Never forget "Rap is Crap".

Women's Royal Rumble highlighted how much better the women's roster are at presentation to the men. Bianca Blair, Naomi, Shotzi Blackheart etc all with their great colourful outfits and entrances stood out massively. The dudes need to take more risks with their presentation. The ring was so populated with colour that it made Bailey's all black attire stand out much more.
Anyway, the match itself was really forgettable, sadly. I can imagine Supremo's reaction to Charlotte Flair being in the final three and then laughing when she got knocked out, which made her look like an idiot. Delighted for Bianca - no idea if she's actually any good but I liked her attire and daft Kardashian ponytail. Naomi is the GOAT.

The final stretch of the men's Rumble was pretty good and Edge v Drew or Roman will be a good feud leading into Mania.

Absolutely nothing on this show has made me want to tune into their shows this week, so can't say it was all that great. 

Edited by ColinBollocks

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Usually when you lose the match for number 30 you end up having to be number 1, but then imagine Tamina coming out at number 1 and having to start a Rumble. That would have been rough. 

Is there anyone on the roster stealing a living more than Tamina? She's in her mid 40s, completely out of shape and can only do punches and superkicks and she comes out dressed like some mam nipping out for fags. She's been there 11 years and she's never done a single thing worth watching.

Didn't enjoy it that much, the show was alright. Absolutely fuming that Big E was cheated and the commentators didn't care. "It's no disqualification," one of them said nonchalantly. I immediately imagined Jim Ross yelling "Well that's a damn shame! A damn shame! That big nasty bastard has screwed Big E!"

Good to see Carlito from my boy stable make an appearance, and I love Bianca Belair and was super chuffed for her. In general though I hate people winning Rumbles from the early spots, it happens far too often. The winners worked damn hard but it just makes later huge entries (Strowman for example) look like complete mugs for not doing more.

• Moderators
6 hours ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

I love Edge. He’s ‘Top 3 favourite of all time’ category for me

steve brule GIF

Can't think of many wrestlers I have less interest in than Edge. Be it now or historically. Shame he won and he looks like a baghead these days.

Skipped through it there out of morbid curiosity. I enjoyed the women's Rumble slightly more than the mens, probably just due to there being less lifer dullards in it comparison to the mens being stocked with Miz, Ziggler, Sheamus, Cesaro etc. Hilarious seeing how out of breath Nia Jax was after being in about 3 mins, she barely had the energy to throw her shitty punches in her face off with Baszler.

At least they went with someone new too, no offence to Edge but the first time he won the Rumble didn't matter, and this one matters even less. Only slight upside is that Bryan might get a win next year when fans are hopefully back. Was hoping one of the commentary autobots would do the whole "its, its....Christian?.." to cement their underwhelming reaction to his return.

Edited by DCW

5 minutes ago, PowerButchi said:

steve brule GIF

Can't think of many wrestlers I have less interest in than Edge. Be it now or historically. Shame he won and he looks like a baghead these days.

Oi, I like Impact. Leave me alone.

I do have a soft spot for Edge. His career seemed to grow with my interest as a fan.

He debuted when I was like 10/11 so I followed him throughout, which I guess made me like him more.

My list isn’t very exotic though, it’s mostly WWE guys who were good at some point between 2000 and 2010.