WWE Royal Rumble 2021

tiger_rick

Just now, The Cutting Edge said:

I think fans have set they're expectations way to high and unrealistic, if Cena, Punk, Ronda, Lynch, Rock don't return it's gonna be shit and typical Vince not giving fans what they want.... tomorrow should be good reading thenĀ 

I mean there's surprises that have been leaked, Not spoiling, It'll be interesting to see the reactions.

30 minutes ago, The Cutting Edge said:

I think fans have set they're expectations way to high and unrealistic, if Cena, Punk, Ronda, Lynch, Rock don't return it's gonna be shit and typical Vince not giving fans what they want.... tomorrow should be good reading thenĀ 

This is actually the first year my expectations for the Rumble surprises are pretty low. Because of COVID, travel restrictions, protocols... I'm assuming WWE have figured it's more trouble than it's worth and will fill the remaining spots with the heroes of Main Event and NXT.

Ā 

6 hours ago, LWOLeN said:

Bookies had every match right so far, which predictsĀ aĀ Seth Rollins win in the main event.

Obviously on this occasionĀ this was incorrect, but given how accurate bookmakersĀ odds tend to be, I donā€™t think they belong in a thread like this without spoiler tags. Even if you watch a show thinking itā€™s been spoiled and that turns out to be wrong it can ruin your enjoyment somewhat.

As far as the actual winner goes, Iā€™ve always been fond of Edge, but as the match progressed I found myself really hoping this was Bryan or Big Eā€™s year. The fact Orton was taken out telegraphed very early on that it likely was not going to be.

I feel slightly deflated by the result, which I wouldnā€™t have expected if youā€™d told me Edge was going to win ahead of time.Ā 

• Paid Members

Dreadful experience but we knew that. The hideous ever present sound like the inside of a hoover is the worst. The atrocious camera work and directing is close behind. Guess people who watch all the time get used to it. Not sure I ever will again.Ā I occasionally try to count the people in the ring to check I've got the right number of eliminations. It was impossible here because the angle never stays still long enough. Had to pause.

I spent most of it wondering how much of wrestling Michael Cole has ruined for me in the last 20 years. He really is abysmal. He's utterly condescending too despite never having been any good. He gets faux excited over nothing and then puts no emphasis on Priest eliminating Kane in what should be a moment. He's useless.

Bryan/Kane and Edge/Christian reunions would have been great in front of fans.

I watched Rumble 2002 this week so itĀ was funny to see Hurricane do that same spot again. Shame Otis's spell was so short. That was the best bit. He's great. Fun cameo chucking people around. Christian was a nice surprise. No Brock though, boo.Ā 

Not sure what anyone will take away from this. On the men's side, there is zero investment in their future. As I say, no attempt to try and emphasise star making moments. Who came out of this looking strong? No one under the age of 40, that's for sure.

Not bleating, I knew what to expect. As you were.

51 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

Obviously on this occasionĀ this was incorrect, but given how accurate bookmakersĀ odds tend to be, I donā€™t think they belong in a thread like this without spoiler tags. Even if you watch a show thinking itā€™s been spoiled and that turns out to be wrong it can ruin your enjoyment somewhat.

As far as the actual winner goes, Iā€™ve always been fond of Edge, but as the match progressed I found myself really hoping this was Bryan or Big Eā€™s year. The fact Orton was taken out telegraphed very early on that it likely was not going to be.

I feel slightly deflated by the result, which I wouldnā€™t have expected if youā€™d told me Edge was going to win ahead of time.Ā 

I feel the same, and I love Edge. His return last year was my favourite Rumble moment ever, I was excited when he announced he was competing this year.

Been thinking about it for the last few hours. I think it's because he didn't need it. He's a legendary Hall of Famer. On the same show that Goldberg got a title match... umm, because he showed up and said so, it feels weird that Edge had to go coast to coast in the Rumble just to get the same opportunity.

That, and Edge vs. McIntyre or Edge vs. Reigns do nothing for me. I've been wanting Edge vs. AJ Styles and Edge vs. Seth Rollins since last year's Rumble.

I enjoyed the two menā€™s title matches, they were both good. I mean, Heyman sort of ruined the ending of the Universal title match but, besides that, they were both what they needed to be.

I love Edge. Heā€™s ā€˜Top 3 favourite of all timeā€™ category for me, but I just donā€™t see what the benefit is of him winning here. Him vs McIntyre or Reigns just isnā€™t a very good main event, and theyā€™re going to have to very awkwardly back into a story that makes it worth investing in. If they choose McIntyre, thatā€™ll be two programs in a row which have no narrative or logical foundation beyond ā€˜we need a famous face to prop this upā€™. Ugh.

Itā€™s the first Rumble show, as a whole, that Iā€™ve seen that leaves me none the wiser as To where theyā€™re going for Mania.

Goldberg has no real route back in, I donā€™t know who Edgeā€™s opponent is going to be, Kevin Owenā€™s has no obvious route back in and the best acts on the shows - Daniel Bryan, AJ Styles to name the two most prominent - have no real program or foreshadowing of one.

The only program that feels alive today is The Fiend/Randy Orton and a) no one wants that, b) they didnā€™t even mention The Fiend last nightĀ and c)Ā theyā€™ve just made Randy look fucking stupid.

The whole company is completely absent of direction and ideas, it feels like. Thereā€™s a couple of months till Mania and it feels like all they have is an empty board with ā€˜Edgeā€™ written on it.

WWE is still capable of good moments/matches, in a vacuum, and has a tonne of talent at its disposal -Ā but the company as a wholeĀ hasĀ no purpose or direction or reason. Itā€™s sad.

*edit* - I should add, the quality of the show was very good (again, in a vacuum). Good matches, great talent. I enjoyed it. I just donā€™t know why anyone should tune in again next week, beyond ā€˜itā€™s what youā€™ve always done guys and the matches can still be fun.ā€™

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

12 minutes ago, Shane O' Mac Version 2 said:

I feel the same, and I love Edge. His return last year was my favourite Rumble moment ever, I was excited when he announced he was competing this year.

Been thinking about it for the last few hours. I think it's because he didn't need it. He's a legendary Hall of Famer. On the same show that Goldberg got a title match... umm, because he showed up and said so, it feels weird that Edge had to go coast to coast in the Rumble just to get the same opportunity.

As weak as his booking has been recently, if you'd taken Big E and put him in the Edge role - that is, have him come out at number 1 and go the distance - he would have come out of this show looking like a massive star. If you want to keep the belt on Reigns - which is understandable, he's been incredible - Bryan seems like a better option to win. The elation of Bryan finally winning the Rumble followed by the devastation of Reigns absolutely crushing him at 'Mania would benefit Reigns as a heel far more than defeating Edge will, should that end up happening. You could still have Bryan/Reigns at 'Mania of course, but it would have greatly benefitted from the momentum Bryan would have gained from a Royal Rumble win.Ā 

McIntyre/Edge doesn't do much for me, if that's the route they take. Given that Edge is an all time favourite of mine, I can't quite put my finger onĀ why I feel so cold about him winning.Ā 

22 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

I enjoyed the two menā€™s title matches, they were both good. I mean, Heyman sort of ruined the ending of the Universal title match but, besides that, they were both what they needed to be.

I love Edge. Heā€™s ā€˜Top 3 favourite of all timeā€™ category for me, but I just donā€™t see what the benefit is of him winning here. Him vs McIntyre or Reigns just isnā€™t a very good main event, and theyā€™re going to have to very awkwardly back into a story that makes it worth investing in.

They sort of started the story last week with Edges promo of having to retire as Champion and never losing the title which he feels is still his.

Granted he has been back a year and it feels slightly forced that he suddenly now realises he never lost the title but he went straight into the Orton feud so it never really had the chance to have that as his motivation last year.

So I'm guessing that is the route they will go down the next few months storyline wise if they go face vs face In Edge Vs Drew

• Paid Members

I can't see where they go from here with Edge as Rumble winner unless Orton is getting the title at Elimination chamber. It's another example of them not having any faith in anybody on their current roster in that spot between this and Goldberg getting to challenge McIntyre for the title earlier on.

I was chatting with a friend while I watched it, and as we were getting towards the end we were managing to come up with angles or possibilities for Mania matches involving a few of them. Daniel Bryan getting that Rumble win then either getting demolished by Reigns or having a classic against Drew was one idea. Babyface new dad Rollins against heel Reigns, even Strowman Vs Roman with the heel/face dynamic flipped for a fresh take on it. No idea what they could do with Edge, and they're going to have to be careful he doesn't get injured on the way into Mania as well.Ā 

There are fresher options for Bel Air as winner of the women's rumble. Do we turn Sasha Bank heel? Have her drop the belt to Bayley? Do we go with Bianca Vs Asuka? I thought it ended strong, but it got a bit cliche that almost every entrant seemed to do "come into ring, perform signature spots, disappear into brawling"

Can they save Heyman's failure to unfadten Reigns' handcuffs in time in the edit? It was amusing how the ref decides to stop his count and go to check on Owens. Good job it wasn't Micky Jay from WCW counting as he's notorious for going fast.Ā 

I thought it was pretty obvious Edge was winning after the way they announced him on Raw.

I suppose it's cool for him but I suppose it only underlines where WWE are at right now where they are relying on someone like Edge.

I'm down for him facing Drew or Edge. Let's just pray they keep Orton the fuck away from the belt.