WWE Royal Rumble 2021

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

My interest in WWE is at an all time low. I'm really struggling to muster any enthusiasm for it at all. Shows like this don't help that. I didn't have a problem with Edge winning, looking at the match on it's own merits he was a good shout for the winner. I don't like the options for him though as a title challenger.

Edge Vs McIntyre or Edge Vs Roman don't do anything for me, and really, Edge should also be losing to both of them, so the whole story idea they are going to play up, that of Edge chasing the title he never lost, will fall a little flat. Unless they switch the champions before then (I hope they don't do that either, Drew and Roman are the best place for both titles to be at the moment). 

A poor show overall, with the Rumble being an incredible drop off from last year's effort. As well as that, the match I expected to deliver, Reigns Vs Owens, was a mess. 

• Paid Members

@theringmaster I'm pretty sure she gets the free pass because she's the Rock's cousin. Like the way David Otunga was featured so heavily while he was married to Jennifer Hudson. 

• Paid Members

I know it's his job and he's historically not been that great at it, but can you imagine being forced to get excited by the shit Cole has to every bloody week. Seth Rollins' return got the exact reaction it deserved. Poor guy sounds like he's fully aware this is utter toss. As BomberPat points out, when Cole is allowed off the leash and in the right environment he's shown he can be very good. No fans, Vince shouting at you, announcing the worst show on telly - Cole is in hell.

55 minutes ago, WeeAl said:

My interest in WWE is at an all time low. I'm really struggling to muster any enthusiasm for it at all. Shows like this don't help that. I didn't have a problem with Edge winning, looking at the match on it's own merits he was a good shout for the winner. I don't like the options for him though as a title challenger.

Edge Vs McIntyre or Edge Vs Roman don't do anything for me, and really, Edge should also be losing to both of them, so the whole story idea they are going to play up, that of Edge chasing the title he never lost, will fall a little flat. Unless they switch the champions before then (I hope they don't do that either, Drew and Roman are the best place for both titles to be at the moment). 

A poor show overall, with the Rumble being an incredible drop off from last year's effort. As well as that, the match I expected to deliver, Reigns Vs Owens, was a mess. 

Certainly agree here. Edge v McIntyre has 2010 midcard written all over it. I also don't really feel Reigns v Edge either. It's all so beige, nothing exciting even though both would be new.. 

• Paid Members
42 minutes ago, ColinBollocks said:

I know it's his job and he's historically not been that great at it, but can you imagine being forced to get excited by the shit Cole has to every bloody week. Seth Rollins' return got the exact reaction it deserved. Poor guy sounds like he's fully aware this is utter toss. As BomberPat points out, when Cole is allowed off the leash and in the right environment he's shown he can be very good. No fans, Vince shouting at you, announcing the worst show on telly - Cole is in hell.

I see this argument all the time, and it's true to an extent, but I don't care. That accounts for about 0.00001% of his output over the years. In his main role, to be the voice of at least one WWE TV show, for the past 22(?) years, he's never been good. He's the most inauthentic aspect of a fake business. People used to say he and Tazz were good on Smackers but watch any of that stuff from what the teenyboppers call the "Ruthless Aggression Era" back and he's fucking dreadful. His fake laugh and the need for one or both of them to fill every second of dead air is intolerable. I'm giving every episode of TV back then an extra snowflake for carrying them two.

1 hour ago, jazzygeofferz said:

@theringmaster I'm pretty sure she gets the free pass because she's the Rock's cousin. Like the way David Otunga was featured so heavily while he was married to Jennifer Hudson. 

Is it really as simple as that though? That's seems to be the general explanation but I feel there has to be more to it than that. Is the Rock really going to be offended if they let her go? I have never even see a picture of Rock and Nia, are they that close? Surely he understands 'Business is business'? I honestly put a lot of her botches down to her fitness, they often occur late on in the match where she is breathing heavy. 

I got to feel for Tamina, same type of wrestler,  just as useless (but at least she isn't a hall of famer on Botchamnia) but barely gets TV time

• Paid Members
52 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

I see this argument all the time, and it's true to an extent, but I don't care. That accounts for about 0.00001% of his output over the years. In his main role, to be the voice of at least one WWE TV show, for the past 22(?) years, he's never been good. He's the most inauthentic aspect of a fake business. People used to say he and Tazz were good on Smackers but watch any of that stuff from what the teenyboppers call the "Ruthless Aggression Era" back and he's fucking dreadful. His fake laugh and the need for one or both of them to fill every second of dead air is intolerable. I'm giving every episode of TV back then an extra snowflake for carrying them two.

As I said, he's historically not been very good, but if he sounds worse now then I can't say I blame him. It's mostly drivel.

1 hour ago, tiger_rick said:

I've said before, but I think Michael Cole is equally as responsible for the gradual decline/popularity of the last 20 years as any of the booking, talent, characters, writers, camera work etc.

Trouble is, the guy is fantastic at his job, because, presumably, he is just doing what he is told and he's really good at what he does, just what he does is generally awful beyond his own fault.   You have to assume he's not coming up with lines like "I've heard of a flying squirrel....but a flying bunny?!?!" himself.

I watched the 2015 Rumble on Sunday afternoon and when The Boogeyman comes out, Bray Wyatt is alone in the ring and Michael Cole says "you could say it's the eater of words vs the eater of worms" and he sounds like such a massive bellend when he's saying it, but you know they only booked The Boogeyman and only had him come out while Wyatt is alone in the ring, just do they can tell Michael Cole to say that, which isn't really his fault.

3 hours ago, theringmaster said:

Anybody else notice how they always put Nia Jax into the Rumble late? It's pretty obvious her cardio isn't up to scratch and with this recent Yokozuna Documentary you would think they would be monitoring her a bit more? Just why does she have this massive free pass?

No way would anyone in any position of power in the company be allowed to say to her 'Nia, love, drop some weight, yeah?'
Not in this day and age. It would be considered a hate crime.
I have to concur with what has been said though - she is the absolute drizzling shits and can barely move. She is a charisma vacuum and injures people with alarming regularity so she serves absolutely no reason to be there but, hey 'She's related to The Rock' so....

22 minutes ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

No way would anyone in any position of power in the company be allowed to say to her 'Nia, love, drop some weight, yeah?'
Not in this day and age. It would be considered a hate crime.
I have to concur with what has been said though - she is the absolute drizzling shits and can barely move. She is a charisma vacuum and injures people with alarming regularity so she serves absolutely no reason to be there but, hey 'She's related to The Rock' so....

TBF you really can imagine her being the sort who sues WWE for calling her 'overweight' 🙄

• Paid Members

Not the worst show by some distance but is Edge really "the" guy to end Roman's reign (geddit!?) after the sterling work he's put in as dominant heel?

I would really like to see Drew retain at 'Mania to cap off a mental year and because there's no one better/up and coming that makes sense in my opinion. 

Sasha Banks is an absolute superstar, unsung in terms of best female wrestler in my opinion. 

Orton/Wyatt in a Firefly Funhouse match. 

Nothing else really came to mind other than how pointless so many of the current roster are. No story, no character, no motivation or reason to invest in them. 

But not a bad show at all. 

First show I've seen since MITB and think its the worst rumble I've seen in a very long time (think it will also be as forgettable as the Nakamura one, which I still always forget he won).

No big stars, no surprise entrants, no debuts, no big moments. Just felt flat and repetitive, I'm sure The Hurricane did the exact same thing last year, there were times during the Rumble where I thought I was watching the 2020 one both for the women and mens. 

I have no problem with Edge winning, just thought it was predictable that when Orton hobbled off he would come back again and the further the Rumble went on it became obvious to me that Edge would get to the end and Orton would come back, I'm sure the commentators alluded to this too when it was down to the last 5-6 (Cole went on about that there was 5 left, 6 as Orton wasn't officially out of the match) and then when it was the final 4 there was no mention at all of Orton and that there was now 4 left.

Usually I tune in from now until Mania, but nothing from the Rumble has made me want to watch last nights Raw. Might just skip the next few months and watch Mania without the repetitive shows in-between. 

Edited by Briefcase

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, theringmaster said:

TBF you really can imagine her being the sort who sues WWE for calling her 'overweight' 🙄

Much in the way I can imagine you and SBA to be the sort that obsess over a woman's weight.