France Is Bacon

Keith Houchen

• Paid Members
20 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

No but this reminds me of when I read Trainspotting for the first time.

I'd seen the film a tonne of times (was probably about 16 when I first read it versus around 12 with the film) and was incredibly confused by Ken. I kept thinking "I don't remember any Ken character"

I asked a friend who's Mum was Scottish who duly informed me. Massively confusing as every other word in the book is Ken.

I moved from England to Scotland at the start of secondary school and would hear people talk about doing or going for  a jobbie.  It took a good year to realise it wasn't a local way of talking about completing a task. 

Edited by ElCece

• Paid Members

When I went up to secondary school, I ended up with a similar situation. Like with all schools, the teacher had to be address as Mr, Mrs or Miss(insert surname here). Towards the final year, during a registration, our form teacher started a conversation about who our favorite/worst teachers were and if we had any that we'd never had a class with. I started going on about how I'd never even seen two of them, Mr Nicholli and Mr Silver, and asked out form teacher if they were only part time or had left.A confused murmer went round and someone said that I'd had detention with both of them, recently, so must know them. I mentioned that I can't remember any male teachers taking the detention duties for ages, when my form teacher clicked on. Turns out they were not men. They were MISS Da Nicholli and MISS Da Silva. I felt a proper dickhead and got some stick for it from the mates!

29 minutes ago, BigJag said:

There's an area of Leicester called Belvoir. However for some ridiculous reason it's pronounced Beaver. It makes no sense. Complete nonsense that lots of people blindly follow. 

Can’t really complain when you’re from “Lester”. Remember that MMA guy who was announced as hailing from Lye-Chester? 

• Paid Members
37 minutes ago, BigJag said:

There's an area of Leicester called Belvoir. However for some ridiculous reason it's pronounced Beaver. It makes no sense. Complete nonsense that lots of people blindly follow. 

We have an area in Barnsley called Barugh Green. But it's pronounces Bark Green. Causes no end of confusion for those who are not local.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

Likewise, I thought there was a prominent Irish politician called Shin Fayne. 

You have just given my little sister an unexpected Christmas gift, of not feeling entirely alone.

We've sometimes teased her about it (just because it was quite sweet, not to be mean), but when she was quite young, she thought the guy we know as Gerry Adams was called "Sinn Fein", because, every time they were in the news, we only ever saw him. She didn't find out he was Gerry Adams and that Sinn Fein was a party until the mid-2000s.

• Paid Members

For a while a few years ago I did think there was a TV programme called Celebrity Jews. I was aware it was on ITV2, but I had never seen the name written down. It turns out that Keith Lemon isn't Jewish and that programme is definitely not kosher.