France Is Bacon

Keith Houchen

Is there anything like this from your youth, or do you work with a Ricky Trailer Park who gets sayings wrong?

When I were a young lad, I’d look at the football scores in the paper and thought og was a great player because he scored every week in different games. This one was quite common but after Blank Space was on the radio, a colleague asked my why TayTay had Starbucks lovers. 

• Moderators

I don't know if this counts, but I was in my thirties before I realised mince pies did not contain mince. Up to that point, I'd always instinctively turned them down when offered, because it felt weird to be eating a meat pie with your Christmas cake and whatnot. My family thought I was mental when I finally twigged it, but in my defence, the whole confusion is basically this:

"Would you like a chicken pie?"

"No thanks, I'm a vegetarian."

"Eh?! What makes you think there's meat in there? In this case, 'chicken' actually refers to spiced fruits."

• Paid Members

Not following football I spent many an hour hearing people talk about Soccer AM, but it was years before I realised it wasn't Sacré 'em. I did wonder why a French football was so popular but never enough to ask. 

I also couldn't see the bat in the batman symbol, all I could see was the yellow bit that looked like comedy cartoon teeth. 

• Paid Members

Because of the dialect where I grew up I’ve got a few of these. I was older than what would acceptable before I learned that it was “chest of drawers” and not chester drawers and I think half the Scottish population is still singing “a wean in a manger” too, which makes perfect sense tbf.

Best one I’ve seen, but it was typed, was in a group chat with colleagues. We were talking about the pros and cons of the new helmets we were provided and one guy wasn’t happy with it affecting his “profiterole vision”. Probably an autocorrect but the guy is a tosser from facking Kent so he’s not getting the benefit of doubt.

I grew up with a girl who insisted it was pronounced "Graeme Le Socks" and was mercilessly ribbed for it.

Similarly to Keith, in the classifieds, I always thought (P) stood for Playing and was confused that a match was taking 2/3 hours to complete.

I'll give anyone who mis says something leeway, as who am I to judge, but I draw the line at specifically/Pacifically. That's just being thick.

38 minutes ago, Astro Hollywood said:

I don't know if this counts, but I was in my thirties before I realised mince pies did not contain mince. Up to that point, I'd always instinctively turned them down when offered, because it felt weird to be eating a meat pie with your Christmas cake and whatnot. My family thought I was mental when I finally twigged it, but in my defence, the whole confusion is basically this:

"Would you like a chicken pie?"

"No thanks, I'm a vegetarian."

"Eh?! What makes you think there's meat in there? In this case, 'chicken' actually refers to spiced fruits."

They were traditionally made with spiced mincemeat as in actual meat not the fruity pretender calling itself mincemeat on jars.

Not even that along ago I noticed some women on social media had the same strange middle name. Coming from Wales it’s not unusual to see normally uncommon middle names like ‘Haf’ even where I’m from where we’re practically an extension of the Wirral but I’d never seen the name ‘Prev’ before. As in Julie Harris Prev Davies etc.

• Paid Members
32 minutes ago, stumobir said:

profiterole vision

That's a Tim Vine joke. Something along the lines of I went to the doctor because I kept seeing choux pastrys, he said it was my profiterole vision. 

29 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

I grew up with a girl who insisted it was pronounced "Graeme Le Socks" and was mercilessly ribbed for it.

Off topic but as a child when I'd play fifa 96 on the snes I'd always sub him out because he sounded "too French" to be playing for England. 

Again I didn't follow football. 

11 minutes ago, Nostalgia Nonce said:

Like when the Scots say "Nee bother"?

No but this reminds me of when I read Trainspotting for the first time.

I'd seen the film a tonne of times (was probably about 16 when I first read it versus around 12 with the film) and was incredibly confused by Ken. I kept thinking "I don't remember any Ken character"

I asked a friend who's Mum was Scottish who duly informed me. Massively confusing as every other word in the book is Ken.