France Is Bacon

Keith Houchen

A friend of my Nana always used to say "Jesus wept and as well he might" but because of the way she said it I honestly thought that she said "and Willie Might"  I actually thought that good ol' Willie Might was Jesus best friend during his early teen years and I could never work out why he wasn't mentioned during RE classes in secondary school.

when I was young and used to watch the football results on Grandstand, I thought that if you got relegated from the GM Vauxhall Conference you went and played the Scottish Premier Division because that was the order they read the results out. It only clicked after realising that neither Rangers or Celtic ever moved divisions as champions

• Paid Members

I also misprounounced Hermione and hyberbole when I was younger. I also heard a TV show mention 'al fresco dining' and thought there was a Harry Ramsdens-esque chain called Alf Rescos. 

My extended family used to caravan at a place called Holt Fleet Farm but all of them would pronounce it as Al Fleet. Was only a few years back when I was trying to see if the place still existed that I found out it was Holt Fleet. 

It was only a few years back that I realised Dusty Rhodes was a play on dusty roads. Completely over my head that one.

5 hours ago, Carbomb said:

You have just given my little sister an unexpected Christmas gift, of not feeling entirely alone.

We've sometimes teased her about it (just because it was quite sweet, not to be mean), but when she was quite young, she thought the guy we know as Gerry Adams was called "Sinn Fein", because, every time they were in the news, we only ever saw him. She didn't find out he was Gerry Adams and that Sinn Fein was a party until the mid-2000s.

I too thought this until embarrassingly recently.

• Paid Members

When I was little I thought God was called Harold due to “Hallowed be thy name”, I thought Allah was called Alan, and that Cadbury Creme Eggs were soft boiled eggs wrapped in chocolate and the thought sickened me.  Worse part about that was my dad worked for Cadburys for a while, and pinched tons of the bastards that I wouldn’t touch.

Edited by Thunderplex

• Moderators

I knew t what albeit meant from a young age but I never understood how it was pronounced. 

In year 6 we were studying the snow spider. A Welsh book. And as a pretentious little fuck who liked the sound of his own voice, Mr Griffiths asked me to write a 4 page script based on the themes of Gwyns massive family from it and narrate it to go to assembly. He had faith so it was never ran through. It went swimmingly until the last few lines when Noddy Roberts playing Gwyn said "But I'm a magician" 

Dickhead Narrator at Friday afternoon assembly when the parents come in: I'll Bite, it won't be that easy for him though. 

I still remember my dad sinking his head into his hands. 

Edited by PowerButchi

• Paid Members
On 12/26/2020 at 2:40 PM, BigJag said:

There's an area of Leicester called Belvoir. However for some ridiculous reason it's pronounced Beaver. It makes no sense. Complete nonsense that lots of people blindly follow. 

Really?? I'm from Leicester and have had my haircut on that street for years and always thought it was pronounced as written. I'm sure I've never been corrected any time I've taken a cab there too..

Edited by Murtz

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, Murtz said:

Really?? I'm from Leicester and have had my haircut on that street for years and always thought it was pronounced as written. I'm sure I've never been corrected any time I've taken a cab there too..

Yep. Working for the council I'm often corrected by older members of staff. They insist that it is pronounced Beaver. 

https://www.belvoircastle.com/about-us/history/

The name Belvoir – meaning 'beautiful view' in French, and pronounced today as 'beaver' – dates back to Norman times. 

Edited by BigJag

• 1 year later...

This kind of fits this thread but I’ve always thought “Revenge is a dish best served cold” meant to be ruthless and emotionless when carrying out revenge, but I was listening to a podcast about Chairman Mao and they recanted a story about how he waited years to act out revenge on an enemy, and how the dish was very cold after waiting to be served for all those years. 

So it means bide your time doesn’t it? As in the food has gotten cold because you took ages serving it up!