The One Where Taker Leaves Again.

The Gaffer

2 hours ago, Supremo said:

Exactly. I grew up with and followed the career of the mad, spooky, undead wizard. I wanted him to go out in a way that befit that ridiculous, over the top character. I don’t give a fuck about his backstage mates having a reunion or seeing the man behind the character getting his legit respect. Keep that for podcasts or Network specials.

Michael Cole or whoever trying to explain why the pig farmers were there and then taker doing his spooky pose to his dead managers ghost was quite the blending of real and fake.

• Paid Members

Doesn't Vince keep going until he can't go any more, then sleep for a couple of hours and get right back on with it? 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Somebody on Facebook had a go at me for nitpicking because I said it was decent, but could have been better with a live crowd. Left me alone when I said it was the best they could manage in the current circumstances.

That’s a completely fair criticism. For a WWE style match, in an empty arena, with piped in crowd noise, it was about as good as you can hope for. In front of a proper crowd it would have been even better. These two in their current form, playing the roles they were born to play? They’d have real fans going absolutely bonkers.

Those piped in chants though. Man alive. I’m not a big fan of the, “this is awesome!” chant at the best of times, but piping in a fake, “this is awesome,” chant? Fuck off. That might be the quickest way imaginable to take me out of a match and make think it’s not awesome. 

Edited by Supremo

I'm tired so:

New Day and Profits was great. I'd love to see that again.

Drew and Roman was fucking fantastic. Epic match. Loved it more than I'd even expected to.

Fuck that stupid Taker shit. I've just watched his cameos and been more entertained. I respect him but that was some boring dragged out crap with disappearing people and a half dead Vince. Ugh.

• Paid Members
19 hours ago, Supremo said:

Exactly. I grew up with and followed the career of the mad, spooky, undead wizard. I wanted him to go out in a way that befit that ridiculous, over the top character. I don’t give a fuck about his backstage mates having a reunion or seeing the man behind the character getting his legit respect. Keep that for podcasts or Network specials.

The backstage mates was the most jarring part. It's not like The Kliq where their friendships were acknowledged and became a significant part of their careers - why is anyone meant to be interested in Savio Vega being there?

My brother watched the retirement ceremony, having not watched any wrestling in nearly 20 years. Having - understandably - no clue what the connection to Undertaker was for half the people in the ring, he messaged me and said, "pretty embarrassing collection of old blokes. Was this the best they could get from who's left alive?". 

38 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

The backstage mates was the most jarring part. It's not like The Kliq where their friendships were acknowledged and became a significant part of their careers - why is anyone meant to be interested in Savio Vega being there?

My brother watched the retirement ceremony, having not watched any wrestling in nearly 20 years. Having - understandably - no clue what the connection to Undertaker was for half the people in the ring, he messaged me and said, "pretty embarrassing collection of old blokes. Was this the best they could get from who's left alive?". 

Apart from sitting there bored out of my mind, and then wondering why the fuck they'd all gone out there just to disappear, my next thought was 'what the hell are new (ish) fans thinking right now?'. At least with the Hall of Fame you'll usually get some sort of context. And I get that Michael Cole tried to read out his list of facts as they came down but fucking hell.

• Paid Members

On the face of it, it looked really odd to have all of Taker's 'mates' walk out for his farewell, only for them to have vanished by the time he came out. It also seems mental to have all these old boys flying in from all corners of the country during the middle of a pandemic just for that. I assume that they will have recorded lots of content for the Network though, so at least the decision to have them there might not be as weird as it seems.