The One Where Taker Leaves Again.

The Gaffer

• Awards Moderator
1 hour ago, Arch Stanton said:

It also seems mental to have all these old boys flying in from all corners of the country during the middle of a pandemic

That photo of the BSK from over the weekend was hardly socially distant. Bunch of 5%ers.

• Paid Members

Finally watched the full show, it was class. I don't know if it's because I'm consuming less wrestling than ever, or because I set my expectations incredibly low, but I've enjoyed most of the WWE PPVs I've watched this year.

Roman vs. Drew was fantastic, if a bit too much of a "WWE main event" in places. Roman going over was the right decision, but there were two points where I found myself wishing it had ended with either man on top - Drew reversing the Spear was too good a spot to waste on a near fall, and there was a really close two count where Roman hit a Spear that I thought might be it, and as McIntyre hadn't hit the Claymore yet it would have left things open for a sense of "okay, Roman beat him this time, but if Drew had only managed to hit the Claymore he might have got him".

Assuming that the Undertaker send-off stuff wasn't pre-recorded and actually happened on the same night as the rest of it, it feels a missed opportunity to have had Rikishi there and not involve him in the Roman Reigns story. You're going to do backstage segments where Roman complains at the Usos and calls himself head of the family, and their dad is just going to sit back and let him get on with it? I just think it would flesh out the story more by incorporating the broader family, even in brief cameos.

The Survivor Series matches were probably the weakest part of the whole thing, largely because "brand supremacy" is utterly meaningless. Sasha vs. Asuka and the tag match were both superb, though. Lashley vs. Zayn was weird as a sort of heel-vs-heel thing, as much as I love Sami's current schtick, but fucking hell the commentary team drag it down by shouting about conspiracies and just hammering you over the head with how they see Sami's gimmick. It's obviously a weird edict from above, but it seems that half of Michael Cole's commentary is now just shouting adjectives, because they don't trust their talent to get their character over themselves. Such a shame, because for the most part Tom Phillips and Samoa Joe had a blinder of a day on commentary, with lots of talk of why certain moves work, and stuff like The New Day's finish not being as effective as usual because it lacked the additional power of Big E. 

Speaking of commentary, one thing I noticed was that Cole said Dan Engler's name in the main event - I don't know if they've relaxed the "don't acknowledge referees' names" rule, or if it was a slip-up, but it caught my attention.

38 minutes ago, The Cutting Edge said:

Has anyone mentioned when Vince introd Taker he said something like "no one has meant more to the WWF and now WWE" unless I misheard him, but if not that's gotta be a first for him openly saying WWF since the change 

Yeah some news sites managed to make whole articles over that.

14 minutes ago, The Cutting Edge said:

Hahaha really? What did they say? I just thought it was bit odd but that was pretty much it

I won't link to the S*n but I saw a headline pop up of "Vince McMahon shocks fans after referring to WWE as WWF for first time in 18 years!" alongside a lovely picture of him looking half dead.

• Paid Members

One thing I thought about watching that really great montage of Undertaker’s thirty year career is how there are guys on that roster now who are a third to a half way to thirty years themselves. But can you imagine any of their career retrospectives? Nobody changes their character or look anymore. They just exist for years and years and years.

Imagine the montages for The Miz (SIXTEEN YEARS) or Dolph Ziggler (FOURTEEN YEARS). They both got their go at being a World Champion. And Dolph had brown hair for about a month once. That’s it. Otherwise they just wrestled Kofi Kingston forever.

Edited by Supremo

11 minutes ago, Supremo said:

One thing I thought about watching that really great montage of Undertaker’s thirty year career is how there are guys on that roster now who are a third to a half way to thirty years themselves. But can you imagine any of their career retrospectives? Nobody changes their character or look anymore. They just exist for years and years and years.

Imagine the montages for The Miz (SIXTEEN YEARS) or Dolph Ziggler (FOURTEEN YEARS). They both got their go at being a World Champion. And Dolph had brown hair for about a month once. That’s it. Otherwise they just wrestled Kofi Kingston forever.

Bit harsh. Dolph's changed career loads of times. Cheerleader, caddy, comedian..

Even Miz has gone from reality star to.. yeah okay.

• Paid Members

The Undertaker / Stone Cold Network special is fun to watch. I’m more convinced than ever that they’re leaving money on the table not doing a show on the Network where we can just watch Stone Cold watching some wrestling. It’s brilliant watching how much he loves it and gets into it.

Undertaker’s massive winter coat and beanie in a studio setting is super distracting though. He’s like a nan who can never get warm.