The One Where Taker Leaves Again.

The Gaffer

5 hours ago, BomberPat said:

Assuming that the Undertaker send-off stuff wasn't pre-recorded and actually happened on the same night as the rest of it, it feels a missed opportunity to have had Rikishi there and not involve him in the Roman Reigns story. You're going to do backstage segments where Roman complains at the Usos and calls himself head of the family, and their dad is just going to sit back and let him get on with it? I just think it would flesh out the story more by incorporating the broader family, even in brief cameos.

Ah yeah great shout. A backstage segment where Roman punked out the always-lovable Big Kish would've been great. Would be great heel work if Jey had to take Roman's side over his Dad's.

Anyone watched the latest Taker/Austin sit down on the Network? May as well talk about it in here since it's related to the final farewell. Much more enjoyable than the first one, I found. More on his matches, the discussion with Vince about losing to Brock etc. He's noticeably looser than he was in the previous one. 

One thing stuck out though, with reference to Survivor Series. They acknowledged that the sit down was recorded prior to Survivor Series, but that what was happening was a final send-off angle. When pressed if he wrestled his last match, 'Taker gave the stock "Look, I feel I'm done. But who knows what the old man will say?" answer. 

Meaning this was in all likelihood just a placeholder angle in the event nothing comes together for them again. Nothing startling, I know. 

9 hours ago, Gay as FOOK said:

Anyone watched the latest Taker/Austin sit down on the Network? May as well talk about it in here since it's related to the final farewell. Much more enjoyable than the first one, I found. More on his matches, the discussion with Vince about losing to Brock etc. He's noticeably looser than he was in the previous one. 

One thing stuck out though, with reference to Survivor Series. They acknowledged that the sit down was recorded prior to Survivor Series, but that what was happening was a final send-off angle. When pressed if he wrestled his last match, 'Taker gave the stock "Look, I feel I'm done. But who knows what the old man will say?" answer. 

Meaning this was in all likelihood just a placeholder angle in the event nothing comes together for them again. Nothing startling, I know. 

I think he knows that 'one more match' is a way riskier way of going out on his arse looking like a right twat. As we saw in the series, it happened a few times and I think he's finally at that place where he accepts that he's almost found the perfect send off at this year's Mania - out on a high, covering up his old age flaws and looking awesome.

But he's also incredibly loyal to Vince. Clearly those two have a very special relationship - you don't see much genuine emotion from Vince but he was clearly choked up at Survivor Series - and Taker finds it hard to say no to him. But at the same time he's as close to being happy with 'retiring' as he probably ever will be. So I think he knows he can't say 100% because Vince but still. I hope he makes the tough decision which is to never wrestle again.

I wouldn't be against a proper send-off in front of a Mania crowd because I do think he deserves that. Something like Survivor Series but less dragged out, and less random oldies. I assume a HOF entry at some point followed by a nice entrance pop and a salute to the crowd in full gear etc. He aint coming out to wave on the stage.

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, Gay as FOOK said:

Anyone watched the latest Taker/Austin sit down on the Network?

I spent the whole thing being distracted wondering how someone the size of The Undertaker managed to find a jacket too big for him.

In terms of getting another send-off, he's obviously going into the Hall of Fame. I wouldn't be surprised if - particularly they're planning to run Wrestlemania with a live crowd next year - they hold a ceremony for everyone intended to have been inducted in 2020, and tag The Undertaker on as the headliner. That way he gets to say his piece out of character at the ceremony, and then get the big spooky entrance in front of an audience at Wrestlemania, in a context that won't have people crying about it being an angle, or complaining that he said The Undertaker was done and still came back. 

Chances are there will also be a backstage documentary filmed that day for the Network, either of him going into the Hall of Fame, or with The Undertaker experiencing Wrestlemania from the sidelines. 

Reading @tiger_rick's post, something else that stood out about Orton vs. Reigns which, if I were a star rating type, I would knock an entire star off for at the very least - WWE, yet again, completely failing at "show, don't tell".

At one point Roman Reigns literally said, out loud, "this isn't the same Drew McIntyre I beat before". The only way they trust their talent to express emotion or tell a story, or trust their audience to understand it, is if it's literally spelled out for them. 

Edited by BomberPat

• Paid Members
On 11/23/2020 at 6:48 PM, Supremo said:

Having now seen it, I have to echo the praise for Roman vs. Drew. What a little gem of a match. For years it's felt like everything in WWE was an exercise in frustration, where ridiculously talented guys were forever handicapped by bad casting, terrible characters, overbooking and wanky melodrama. This was the complete opposite. Everything clicked. Two guys perfectly cast, arguably babyface and heel of the year respectively, looking the business, doing some of their best character work ever, having an absolute banger. In front of a proper crowd, these two could easily headline Wrestlemania and I would fucking love it.

This match is everything that's wrong with the company. This isn't a rant or a shot at WWE. It's not justification for why I don't watch anymore. It's just an observation, as usual.

It's got nothing to do with the actual match or the character work. The guys are great. They had a match that bell to bell is five stars in the no crowd era. Can't be done any better. But the anticipation and the selling of the finish is absolutely fucking horrible. Why did Drew McIntyre lose to Randy Orton? I haven't seen it, I just read about it and had a natter with our kid about it. The only reason I could see ofor that is to avoid doing McIntyre vs. Reigns so you save it for Mania or beyond. And then you go and do McIntyre vs. Reigns. Only now, instead of being the clash of the two undisputed champs of Raw and Smackdown, it's the guy who lost to Randy Orton a month ago. I actually saw some of the pre-show for Survivor Series during some insomnic hours on Sunday night. And they were trying to sell this, as you would, on that basis but everything they're selling is undermined by the fact that McIntyre lost to Orton.

I just don't get it. I'd love to hear someone from WWE give us their thought process on this. I presume they just don't think it matters but I can't help point out that they are horribly wrong.

Then the finish. I don't know why you're having a finish in this match anyway. Matches don't always need finishes. Fuck Meltzer and the like who would cry about it. There's a time and a place for a non-finish and this is it. But if you're going to have a finish, then you HAVE to have Drew's next challenger cost him the match. Stakes and emotion are missing from every WWE program of about the last five years. Roman bragging on Smackdown every week that he's the best of the best eating McIntyre alive causing him to seek vengeance on the person responsible is something. Something to work with and from. And something to lead back to Reigns and McIntyre. They didn't go with that, they went with the Reigns/Uso soap opera end which some people might be into, I dunno, so not going to criticise that but the selling of it ... holy fucking christ. Where was it? Where was the drama? Where was the anger from Samoa Joe, the supposed Raw guy, that their champ was just blatantly cheated? It's not like they ignore it, Corey Graves does his usual bland as fuck recap over some replays. But for god's sake, sell it. Drew's your number on face in the company. Tell the world that these bastards have just cheated him and they are going to fucking pay for it. S-E-L-L.

How hard would it be to not job Drew to Orton and then come up with a finish that not only protects him but enhances his standing, his character and gives you something to write the next night?

Edited by tiger_rick

Agreed Rick. I wasn’t against Orton winning the belt per se if it freed Drew up to be positioned against Roman down the line. But switching it around like that to then just put it back on Drew did nothing for him. It’s like when they had Bayley drop the SD Women’s belt to Charlotte last year for 5 days and then win it back- what was the point?
Why not just have Drew go over at HIAC and build the match with Reigns for a month as opposed to 6 days, and he could still lose to Roman (screwy finish or not) and he’d still be strong having not lost to Orton a month earlier. Instead of losing once in 8(ish) months, he’s now lost twice in 4 weeks. Granted, he’s lost to two top guys, but for him to be one himself, he needs to be protected.

7 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Agreed Rick. I wasn’t against Orton winning the belt per se if it freed Drew up to be positioned against Roman down the line. But switching it around like that to then just put it back on Drew did nothing for him. It’s like when they had Bayley drop the SD Women’s belt to Charlotte last year for 5 days and then win it back- what was the point?
Why not just have Drew go over at HIAC and build the match with Reigns for a month as opposed to 6 days, and he could still lose to Roman (screwy finish or not) and he’d still be strong having not lost to Orton a month earlier. Instead of losing once in 8(ish) months, he’s now lost twice in 4 weeks. Granted, he’s lost to two top guys, but for him to be one himself, he needs to be protected.

I was a bit confused about it myself at the time. I haven't read/heard much since but I do wonder how much of it was last minute Vince changes or something.

• 1 month later...