The One Where Taker Leaves Again.

The Gaffer

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Ha! Yeah it was his video that he was promoting. Think it was some awful exercise one that involved him and inflatables. He did sign the I’m Your Man single for me, still got it. Far and away the nicest wrestler I’ve met. A total gent all day. 

I think I've got that video at my Mum's. Or some kind of self defence one. 

Edit: was it just me, or when Edge was talking about 'Taker did one of the little clips have Brian Lee as fake Undertaker from Summerlam 94 in? It was like a little montage of when he raises his hands and brings the lights up. Somebody's either not very observant or trying to sneak something under the RADAR... 

Edited by jazzygeofferz

Wow that was pathetic. Should have left it with him riding his bike into the unknown. He's never going away anyway, he will be back with Ted Dibiase and Sgt Slaughter at the next reunion show. 

Not a single fan in sight in the arena but he couldnt speak becuase all those fans not in attendance wouldnt let him talk. It just made him look silly. Plus why the fuck was Savio Vega, Foley etc even there? They could have atleast had them clapping him on from ringside like lumberjacks just so they did something instead of just hugging themselves.

One other touch they could have done was have Ted Dibiase introduce him again for the "last time" instead of Vince just for the story coming 360

So many questions. Why go through all that promotion and build-up for Taker to say about two sentences just confirming what the promotion was promoting? What was with that weird electronic theme intro, was that a sound fuck-up? Why didn't Taker lift the lights up/on? Felt like another mess-up to me. Why bring out all these old guys with a history of health problems, flying them in from god knows where during a terrible pandemic, for them to only hug each other over and over? And most importantly, where were the Godfather's hos?

Weirdly the only thing that felt right to me was Vince's words - he didn't seem to stumble much over them and they felt genuine, like this really was a huge psychological change for the entire company. I don't know if it is, but the segment for me summed up everything it has been in recent times - flat, pointless, nonsensical, over-produced, and dangerous for no reason.

Can I just give some major praise for the McIntyre/Reigns match? in terms of a champion vs. champion, main guy vs. main guy match, I enjoyed it thoroughly. The finish was just what it should be between these two at this point - if you're going to book this match now, you need to keep people wanting more - and for me it really solidified Drew as 'belonging' next to a clearly exceptional top guy like Roman. I've been mostly off WWE since 'Mania, but this was very enjoyable; and, once again, Roman is what makes it. 

1 hour ago, Mr.Showtime said:

What was with that weird electronic theme intro, was that a sound fuck-up? 

Looks like they used Tesla Coils or something similar in that intro. They've been used over the years in outdoor concerts and can be programmed to cover songs. It can come off pretty good with the right song.

Edited by LSM

There came a point during the final farewell in which it became pretty clear that this was genuine, but I couldn't shake off the feeling that someone was going to attack him right until the final moment. 

I just didn't think they'd say goodbye to this character without an audience in place, anniversary or no anniversary. Perhaps this is what he wanted, perhaps he didn't want to be in a situation where he might get emotional, and if that's the case fair enough. 

As a result though I found it a bit empty. It probably was about as strong as it could have been under the circumstances and the Paul Bearer hologram was a nice touch, but on the whole, the goodbye didn't quite feel like enough. 

• Paid Members

It was funny watching everybody hugging and "I haven't seen you in ages", then they get to the Godwinns and it suddenly becomes like a Royal visit and they're offering a handshake and a backslap. Almost like they're going to ask "and you are?".

Jeff Hardy thinking he was just getting the hand shake and Flair going in for the full hug instead was oddly touching. Then Foley reluctantly going to grab himself a hug when Flair was - I think - just going for the handshake was hilarious. As was Godwins and Kane showing up in their Halloween costumes of themselves when everyone else just got the smart casual memo. Kevin Nash looking healthy and happy warms a mans heart, too. 

Then they all disappeared and there was that entrance. It was a bit like a science segment on Blue Peter. Little lightning bolt generators and a farty kazzoo version of his theme. Then a weird pause and his real theme. Then he floats up the ring steps I guess - fine - but they constantly allow the platform he's floating up on to be in the camera shot. So it just looks like they've got a mobility device installed for him is all. It was proper kitsch even by 'Taker standards, and I'd be surprised if that edit stays on the Network. 

The speech was what you'd expect. I really wish they'd leave the crowd noises off though. It would have worked fine. Potentially ominous and emotional. Instead they done up the screens to resemble an actual graveyard and just piped in the chants like crazy anyway. "Rest in peace" followed by a booming, delayed "PEACE!". 

Yeah. Pffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff. Everything after extended BSK was done by computer and Vince has been dead for years. 

Edited by Gay as FOOK

• Paid Members

Being the nostalgia perve that I am, I obviously sought out this segment this morning just to see the state of some of the old guard by now (with an eye on next year's deathpool).

Fuck me, they might as well have wheeled out the Godwinns in their Tex Slazenger and Shanghai Pierce getup, at least Ric Flair would have had a fighting chance of knowing who they were then.

But echo was a lot of others have said really, the Undertaker's farewell belongs in front of a crowd. I know this was the 30 year anniversary and all, nothing comes across as it should in an empty arena and everyone would have understood had they held it back.

On a side note, I don't know how people can abide watching 3 hour shows with those bloody screens in the background showing smelly fuckers sat in their mother's bedrooms.

Edited by garynysmon

1 hour ago, Gay as FOOK said:

As was Godwins and Kane showing up in their Halloween costumes of themselves when everyone else just got the smart casual memo. 

I'm guessing it was to prevent the audience asking "why are Southern Justice here?" 

Guessing this is the right place to talk Survivor Series as a whole? 

Put my thoughts into a spoilers box in case

Spoiler

Can we have a different way of ending Battle Royales please. Also did The Miz really need to win

Booking RAW to win the mens Survivor Series match via clean sweep when Smackdown has the bigger audience and the bigger network and you need to build up contenders for Roman was.... interesting 

The women's elimination match was the worst booked match ever. Lana being the sole survivor was the obvious and smart play after the past month of RAW but the they got to it was just garbage. Belair looked like a geek being choked out and Bazler being dq'd and to have Lana win via crying on the steps (which I'm sure is punishment for her tearful monologue on Chronicle) was just bad. Is it really that hard to have Lana fight the odds, 2 vs 1 to win the match for RAW and get some redemption. Bayley was an afterthought despite being the best thing in the women's division in the Performance Center era. The person who eliminates Bayley is pinned quickly after.

Liked the tag match and the Roman/Drew match though 

Edited by Tsurutagun