The One Where Taker Leaves Again.

The Gaffer

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, Gay as FOOK said:

Easy to forget they were nearly going to do away with this pay per view entirely a few years back. God knows what would have been put in its place. WWE Get Stuffed or another gimmick centric show probably.

That's the thing I don't get, they went balls to the wall with turning meaningful gimmick matches into an arbitrary gimmick PPVs and at at the same time thought about dropping their first one rather than push the elimination tags. 

Survivor Series was created primarily to fuck with crockett wasn't it? Running against Starrcade with a threat that unless it was carried exclusively Vince would pull their rights to Mania 4? It always felt lower on the totem to Vince than mania, summerslam & rumble. Especially that year it was little more than a lead in to Tuesday in Texas. 

I forget who suggested it but I still love the all 'on a Pole match' PPV "pole position". 

• Paid Members

Fully expecting the Undertaker's farewell to be similar to that Triple H celebration thing, where Vince comes out to do some awkward, incomprehensible, "banter," and then the show goes off the air with everyone wondering why they haven't staged an intervention yet.

Edited by Supremo

Remember when we started having an imagination as to what 'Taker's farewell would probably be? I think my brain kicked in to high gear on that after seeing what they done for Flair in 2008. This is when WWE seemed fool proof for this sort of thing. Even something as precarious as retirement. Which Flair rubbished anyway, but still. 

After seeing what they done for Nature Boy I pretty much assumed 'Taker would have a Legend Vs. Legend WrestleMania classic, culminating in an (either way) brilliant final loss or win, where he'd smoke trick up to the rafters as the rest of the locker room circled the ring and bit the canvas in his honour, or something. 

Edited by Gay as FOOK

I think this is the real retirement. He's been all over the media this past week talking about his farewell on sunday. You can even see it in his face in all his interviews that he knows its over now and is at peace with it. He also has all the living members of BSK apart of his big day. (It's funny that back in 95 I always thought Undertaker's Survivor Series team was abit random as I didnt know they were all his real life best friends). Its the perfect ending with it being 30 years to the day he debuted on tv 22/11/90 - 22/11/20.

4 hours ago, MEGABUCKS said:

I think this is the real retirement. He's been all over the media this past week talking about his farewell on sunday. You can even see it in his face in all his interviews that he knows its over now and is at peace with it. He also has all the living members of BSK apart of his big day. (It's funny that back in 95 I always thought Undertaker's Survivor Series team was abit random as I didnt know they were all his real life best friends). Its the perfect ending with it being 30 years to the day he debuted on tv 22/11/90 - 22/11/20.

It definitely feels that way. And under any normal circumstances I'd agree that it's almost the perfect ending for him. But it's depressing me thinking about him actually retiring in front of a piped in "Thank you Taker" chant.

• Paid Members

I hope I’m wrong but I can’t imagine they’ve got anything planned that’s going to be a better send off that what he got at Wrestlemania.

Murdering AJ in a super fun match, arguably the best Wrestlemania main event in years, his logo lighting up as he drives off into the night with Metallica playing? Perfect farewell to the character.

6C07491F-F446-4C6B-BF49-4F486EECBE3A.thumb.jpeg.47d878e79ecf26be40e3df10a33883ec.jpeg

Him hobbling out to an empty arena whilst all the wrestlers stand around the ring  awkwardly chanting and clapping at him? Fuck that.

The only way they can top Wrestlemania is if his Survivor Series send off is a surprise Boneyard match against Sting that they filmed in secret.

Edited by Supremo

The thing is, its The Undertaker. Even if it is a genuine retirement ceremony and not a set up for WrestleMania  there's still going to be the possibility that he'll come back anyway.

Its weird though. I always thought that he'd retire still very much in gimmick and then just appear at big shows to chokeslam a random heel and bugger off.