AEW Video Games

Merzbow

• Paid Members

the game's decent, but I'm terrible at it. The arcadey aspect to the gaming means it's difficult to have something that resembles a real wrestling match, but I imagine it's a lot more fun in multiplayer. I've only won one match so far, and can't really figure out half the controls, but that will all come with time, and if I try and play it again without having sunk three pints first. 

Create mode is pretty awful - the number of available names for the ring announcer is baffling considering the number of parts you can use is so miniscule, that you couldn't get even close to making any of the people whose names you can make up from it. 

I don't see it having much longevity in single player, but hopefully it does get more content over time. 

• Paid Members

The OSW review of it was that it was a decent starting point, and a sequel that built on this would be even better. They bemoaned a lack of visual options in the create mode, but praised the depth of the move list. I'd imagine if you had a couple of people playing against each other than knew the game well enough they'd be able to put on a good match. I've wishlist Ed it on my Switch, but will probably wait for a sale as I'm in no hurry or financial position to pay full price for it. 

EDIT: I hear there's an option that unlocks, or at the very least some random occurrence in the barb wire exploding ring death match where occasionally the pyro goes wrong like it did in the actual match. 

Edited by jazzygeofferz

• Paid Members

Just messed around with it a little so far, crushing Jungle Boy a few times with Wardlow. I think it's exactly what it looks like, a basic wrestling game. Which I need coming after the last WWE game I played that had me take a long seminar with Drew Gulak asking me to pat my head and spin the analogue stick to lock-up and I was still pretty lost. Here, I largely have the hang of it already. The hit detection's sometimes off, then other times Jungle Boy's bouncing off me like I'm a brick wall and I'm audibly OHOing taking his head off with a clothesline!

I'll have fun with this and I'm happy to support it, but as much as I find their willingness to update this in the short term admirable, if they think there's years or a generation's worth of legs in this game they're deluded. Make a great base game first, this isn't there yet and there's no shame in that at all. It was a long road from Vs The World to No Mercy, SD to HCTP, WM18 to DOR and Raw to... just kidding, all the Xbox ones were anal soup.

I skimmed through all the moves in CAW and I'm sad to say the exploding barbed wire Viscagra dream is dead. I even checked all the Full Nelson variants just in case they were really clever with the naming. Life's cruel.

• Paid Members

Do you get a sense of the wrestlers being increasingly worn down as it goes on? In the AKI games i liked that it took longer to get up when you’d taken more damage, but in the Yukes Smackdown games they’d pop up like they were the Woyah. 

2 hours ago, Cheapheat said:

What's the deal with characters like hook and ftr? Do I have to pay extra real life money for them?

Yes, ftr out today and Hook is out in August with Danhausen. You buy Cody with in game cash which is pretty easy to earn.

I thought Owen and Paul Wight were in it but I can't see them.

I've played a bit, is quite basic but quite fun. One of my joy cons isn't working properly but I have a new pastel set coming tomorrow anyway. The hit detection is a bit off at times but the moves generally look good. I'm glad I got it, what I've wanted from a wrestling game for a while.

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, westlondonmist said:

I thought Owen and Paul Wight were in it but I can't see them.

Owen unlocks for purchase (in game cash) after you've completed 100 exhibition matches.

Paul Wight requires certain things to happen in the Road to Elite mode to become unlockable - there's guides out there for the likely quickest ways to get there.

I absolutely love how it controls. Having adored all the AKI games from World Tour to Fight for NY I took to it pretty easily. I've played a few exhibition matches and it all feels very comfortable. Hitting Pac's Fosbury Dive feels brilliant.

My one gripe is that the matches so far are over probably twice as quickly as they should be. For a company that trades in epic matches you feel like there should be an option for realistic or fast damage.

4 minutes ago, Statto said:

Paul Wight requires certain things to happen in the Road to Elite mode to become unlockable

Tribute to his old man's unlockable in No Mercy?

7 minutes ago, Statto said:

Owen unlocks for purchase (in game cash) after you've completed 100 exhibition matches.

Paul Wight requires certain things to happen in the Road to Elite mode to become unlockable - there's guides out there for the likely quickest ways to get there.

100 matches shouldn't take me too long. Brodie Lee and Paul Wight seem a bit more awkward but I do enjoy unlocking things in games so I'm fine with them doing this with legends.

• Paid Members

Even though I've read mixed reviews I broke and got the Elite Edition for £24.32. Downloading now! 

Posted this before, main steps I used to get a Turkish PS account:

- tethered my PS5 to hotspot with free Turkish VPN on Android with WIFI turned off on your phone, also unplugged ethernet on PS5 to make sure it was on the hot spot - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=vpn.turkey

- added a new User/account with Turkish address:

Street: Tevkifhane Sk no 12
State: Fatih
City: Istanbul
Postal code: 34122

- added payment method using a Visa card setup on Crypto.com - using the same Turkish address used for the account.

- once it's set up you don't need to use the VPN and can plug your normal internet in, will just need to switch between profiles.

This has more info, but the steps above worked first time for me.

https://www.hotukdeals.com/discussions/new-method-no-vpn-required-buy-from-any-playstation-psn-region-inc-indonesia-turkey-at-face-value-with-disposable-revolut-virtual-visa-3458645

Edited by Weezenal