AEW Video Games

Merzbow

• Awards Moderator

It’s no All Stars, but while it’s quite good fun so far, I can’t help but still be a little disappointed. In a lot of ways it’s sub-SmackDown 1 on the PS1.

I’m still getting the hang of controls - dives seem trickier than they should be considering how many of them you get in real AEW, and I haven’t figured out kickouts yet - but the matches are generally easy enough to get to grips with. The barbed wire death match is my favourite. I’m surprised at how few match options there are. Blood & Guts or Coffin Matches or Dog Collars might be a bit tricky, but things like Ladder Matches only being possible as a one-on-one, or Falls Count Anywhere only actually being Falls Count At Ringside Or On The Ramp feels very barebones.

You'd also have thought the game could handle more than four people in the ring at once. SmackDown on the PS2 could deal with six, so I’m not sure of the thinking there, especially considering how reliant AEW has always been on Trios Matches.

I expected the roster to be on the smallish side so wasn’t too surprised at that, but I had hoped for more unlockable people. If CAW was better that wouldn’t matter - even if they did what SmackDown 1 did with the likes of Viscera or Mideon, and just have the basic template ready for you to put the character together - but it’s not, and that makes it more disappointing.

For the other stuff - Career mode seems fine. Online isn’t for me. The mini games are quite fun but it’s a shame there aren’t more. I’m surprised they couldn’t stick in something like Create A PPV - again, that’s something SmackDown 1 managed on the PS1. Overall, I think I might tire of this one fairly quickly despite the fun elements, but if they’re able to make some improvements with patches, that’d be good.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

• Paid Members
20 hours ago, Merzbow said:

It'll be X on Xbox or square on Playstation after you've selected the item.

Yeah once you select the item (we’ll use boots for this example), when you go back to the list of things to choose at the bottom of the screen you’ll see it say Change colour at the button. Also worth noting that if an item doesn’t have a paint pallet in the corner you can’t change the colours.

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Lorne Malvo said:

That option is coming later. £12 DLC.

Only if you're subscribed to the battle pass. 

Because I'm out of touch with gaming these days, does this support multilayer on a single screen for up to 4 players? I'd like to think it would but can't find anything to confirm it online, just multilayer via online. 

• Paid Members
48 minutes ago, gaz2050 said:

Because I'm out of touch with gaming these days, does this support multilayer on a single screen for up to 4 players? I'd like to think it would but can't find anything to confirm it online, just multilayer via online. 

I thought that died out on the N64. Why would a wrestling game be multilayer?