AEW Video Games

Merzbow

3 hours ago, Vamp said:

The mini game thing is weird. I assume they were easier to cobble together than everything else they could have done. 

The gamble might have been to grab people's attention with some unexpected, over-the-top fun that sets it apart from safe, predictable WWE games.

In which case they must be seething that IGN's review doesn't even mention them.

7 minutes ago, Uncle Zeb said:

The gamble might have been to grab people's attention with some unexpected, over-the-top fun that sets it apart from safe, predictable WWE games.

In which case they must be seething that IGN's review doesn't even mention them.

I've read quite a few reviews and none have mentioned them. 

• Paid Members

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1858386219 My woeful attempt at playing. I’ve done some training and exhibition matches. It’s good, not great. It is more bare bones than expected, the roster is weird with a few wrestlers I went WHO? And the counter reversal system feels really tricky. £40 it’s a tough one for me to really recommend. £30 or less is much better value for what it is, especially at the moment. I reckon there is a decent sequel to be made, and for a first game it’s good. But not Elite.

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, BrodyGraham said:

The plan is not to sequelize it for a few years and to fill it up with content over several updates. The classic Capcom formula apparently!

Oh I know that’s what they have said, but we’ll see because as recently as last week someone said that while that’s the plan, if sales are good, that may change.

Put about 2 and half hours in last night. Personally think it's great; I'm bored to death of wrestling 'simulators' so to have a arcade game is really refreshing. 

The best way to describe it is a modern take on a n64/ps1/ps2 game. It feels limited but then again i would argue that modern wwe games where there are 200 wrestlers, every arena in history, create options with limitless options etc kind of take away a lot of fun from wrestling games because as a kid it will always part of the fun knowing what game can do what and what wrestlers it has (or hasn't). I have already got that 'my character' in Cody Rhodes, which, again, i think is loss in modern wrestling games. It just really fun to play a wrestling match in the game, i really hope the online is good because i can definitely envision me and my mates giving it a go late one Saturday night with a few cans.

Road to Elite is a lot of silly fun, I wonder if the novelty of taking selfies, choosing workouts etc will wear off after a couple of hours but first impressions are fun.

Barbed Wire Death Match is just hilarious .Lack of steel cage is just odd, that seems like the most bog standard match type in every video game in history (the game boy games even had them). Tag matches are actually ok, they are chaos that play more like a tornado tag but they're are not frustrating (not to wwe 2K game developers-1 count pins don't get broken up by faces!).

No create a belt, one of my favorite features in modern games but titles can change hands in exhibition. I really hope they can add community creations in a future update.

So yeah, a lot of fun. Worth £60? Depends on what kind of gamer/wrestling fan you are. I'm essentially a casual gamer these days (full time job and a 1 year old means i'm lucky to get more than 5 hours a week on my xbox, i only got so much play time last night because i literally chose it over sleep) I mostly just have a couple of games on fifa, so i can see myself dipping into this for quite a while .If you're  a hardcore gamer who devotes 30+ hours a week to gaming then i imagine you will find it far to bare bones

Edited by theringmaster
missed a word

6 hours ago, BrodyGraham said:

The plan is not to sequelize it for a few years and to fill it up with content over several updates. The classic Capcom formula apparently!

They will have a sequel if response to this is good enough. It may not be an annual thing but 18 to 24 months I think they will. 

I hope they add some bits for free, such as some extra CAW or the odd match type, it needs a cage match of some form but I can see a 2024 pass with new wrestlers and maybe extra storyline in a year and sequel a year later. 

• Paid Members

I just need to know if there are a ridiculous number of spring board and Plancha! Style moves near the ropes and if you can do the Doomsday Device in tag matches? 

Edited by Silky Kisser

Evil Uno has apparently compared the game to No Man's Sky, I'm not sure he meant that to sound as damning as it does.

Oh there better be the ability to do a springboard doomsday like in No Mercy, I've seen a bunch of awesome looking double team moves already.

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

The essential question - is it anything like WWE All Stars?

I'm going to try and find a shop that has it today and buy it, but if the answer is yes, I'll be extra excited to get home and try it out.

Far more like Def Jam/No Mercy then Allstars (no huge bounces, slower).

@Silky Kisser definitely springboard moves, did some with Orange Cassidy and  Darby Allen.