Minor Annoyances (Vol 2)

2 hours ago, Frankie Crisp said:

The whole [one artist] x [another artist] when they collaborate on a song.

It’s and or an ampersand. You don’t multiply Simon by Garfunkel, you bellends.

This unfortunately also extends to wrestling matches. A couple of local promotions have recently advertised [one wrestler] x [another wrestler], which made me feel slightly ill. I get that they've done it to seem all hip and with it, and the majority of people don't actually think about what they're looking at so barely anyone will even notice, but besides the fact that "vs" didn't even need replacing, swapping it for an x - which is intended to denote an amicable crossover between two parties - makes it seem like the wrestlers are going to be teaming up rather than pretending to fight each other. It's fucking bollocks.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Frankie Crisp said:

It’s and or an ampersand. You don’t multiply Simon by Garfunkel, you bellends.

I think this is something that's come from Japanese culture. It's "cross" like a shortening of "crossover"

Yeah I noticed this on a few posters too. Assumed it came from Forbidden door and people were just getting the use wrong. 

Being an English teacher I am now spending my morning wondering if this is an example of evolving language and is X will replace Vs in matches and 'and' or 'feat' in songs. That's annoyed me more. 

11 hours ago, Frankie Crisp said:

I remember a sort of explanation for this that sort of made sense during the COVID times - there was a gourmet burger type place in Birmingham that was allowed to open as they just sold food but they were too small for people to come in and there was a pub with a good kitchen that wasn't allowed to open but had a serving hatch so the burger people used the pubs kitchen and served it through the hatch, it was on the poster as OPM x the British Oak, the x was being used in a "six by seven" way rather than word multiply, so OPM by the British Oak as the pub kitchen made and served it but it was the proper burger place produce. So in that way if its artist x producer it makes sense as it's artist x done by producer.

But most of the time it's just bollocks.

45 minutes ago, Harry Wiseau said:

I remember a sort of explanation for this that sort of made sense during the COVID times - there was a gourmet burger type place in Birmingham that was allowed to open as they just sold food but they were too small for people to come in and there was a pub with a good kitchen that wasn't allowed to open but had a serving hatch so the burger people used the pubs kitchen and served it through the hatch, it was on the poster as OPM x the British Oak, the x was being used in a "six by seven" way rather than word multiply, so OPM by the British Oak as the pub kitchen made and served it but it was the proper burger place produce. So in that way if its artist x producer it makes sense as it's artist x done by producer.

But most of the time it's just bollocks.

Honestly sounds like someone just didn't want to say "We thought it looked cool."

• Paid Members

"Collab" is just shit anyway. When two people sing together it's called a duet. If that's too twee, I don't see the problem with "we made a track together." Collaboration is far too grand, it makes it sound like they worked on a project together for six months or something. A collaboration surely should be an album, not 3 minutes of end product.

On 7/29/2023 at 10:17 PM, CAREBEAR LUVVA said:

makes it seem like the wrestlers are going to be teaming up rather than pretending to fight each other

There are entire matches that feel like that too. "Look at this sequence we achieved with fantastic timing and athleticism!" - nah mate, I don't want to be impressed by how well you had to time it to not hit each other, I want it to look like you are trying to hit each other. A counter to a counter might make me believe the wrestlers know each others' tendencies or did their homework, five straight reversals with no breathing time in between just reminds me you planned this ahead of time and probably rehearsed it. Ospreay vs Ricochet and Sabre vs Scurll at their worst.

Edited by air_raid
rephrased

• Paid Members

The "x" thing comes from Japanese; it was used for collaborations between artists there, because the ampersand doesn't really exist in non-western European languages. It might have bled into western culture as more brands try and break into Asia, but more likely just because it's cool, and explanations like it meaning crossover or "X" meaning "by" have been justified by people using it after the fact without necessarily realising where it came from, such is often the way with language. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Well it took 3 minutes to listen to, so it must have only taken that long to create... 

OK, it was poorly phrased.