Minor Annoyances (Vol 2)

24 minutes ago, air_raid said:

On an unrelated note, when I was a kid Somerfield used to do coronation rice which I absolutely used to cane. Along with potato salad from the deli counter which had probably been there days. Ah, to be young again.

'Member when it was Gateway??? Eh?? Eh????

13 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Well, that all stands to raisin

Gordon Ramsay Omg GIF by Next Level Chef

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

'Member when it was Gateway??? Eh?? Eh????

Vividly. Mama raid still called it Gateway for years after they were bought out. She's never made the mistake of calling Co-Op "Somerfield" since, because long before that, she'd discovered Lidl. Good job really, she was mortified when Braggs became Greggs, she'd only just stopped calling it Cranage's.

The town also boasts a Morrisons that used to be Safeway, though I understand a Safeway still exists, but it's not the same company.

father ted religion GIF

22 minutes ago, gmoney said:

My dad continually called the shop up the road "Sperrings" despite it being a Circle k, Alldays, Fourboys, One Stop and Tesco Express since. 

Our estate parade of shops had a Fourboys, a Gateway AND an MFI. What a defunct trio.

20 minutes ago, gmoney said:

My dad continually called the shop up the road "Sperrings" despite it being a Circle k, Alldays, Fourboys, One Stop and Tesco Express since. 

My brother and I have a running joke about a drinking establishment close to where we grew up. My dad is one of those who refuses to learn new names for things and always refers to boozers by the original name, with one exception.
Where we grew up is known as County Coundon due to the high percentage of Irish families who live there. One of the popular places was called The Lord Mountbatten, or Mountbattens to give it the local name. It’s an odd name for a place that was a hotbed for Irish clientele and indeed the cloak and dagger republicanism of those who supped the best pint of Guinness in the area.
Anyway, it changed hands and changed names and has been called “Flannellys”for decades. Whenever we would say we were going to the Mountbatten for a pint, he’d sternly correct us with “FLANNELLYS”, so of course being a spiteful petty repetitive bore, that’s what we’d instantly shout at him whenever he used an old pub name. When he’s over to visit we still try and shoehorn Mountbattens into a conversation. 

Mind you, the worst was when I went to visit him and he said he’d meet me in O’Donnells on Hill street opposite the steps. He came home enraged I hadn’t turned up and I explained I didn’t see anywhere called that. I saw one called The Sandman and asked if it was near there. “IT IS THE FUCKING SANDMAN” He looked perplexed when I asked is that what it used to be called or something. “No you dope, O’Donnell is the landlord”. Ah yes of course. 

6 hours ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

Good coronation chicken is great, bad coronation chicken is horrific. 

*Daily Mail Filter* Anyway lads you can't say coronation chicken these days can you, incase it upsets vegans *Daily Mail Filter*

I thought vegans caused cancer according to the Daily Mail or is it immigrants this week? I know one of them causes cancer and the other causes house prices to crash...

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

I'm getting increasingly sick of Sheeran in general anyway (Mrs raid likes him) but in particular, his reliance on what shite has befell him in the current/last year. I'm listening to the same whine over and over!

"I know there's been pain this year, but it's time to let it go" - Merry Christmas, 2021 - oh great, a Covid reference, right on the fucking nose, cheers Ed.
"It's been a hell of a year, thank God we made it out" - Bam Bam, 2022 - Pretty sure that's ANOTHER fucking Covid reference, right?
"I pictured this year a little bit different when it hit February" - Eyes Closed, 2023 - I know your mate died but... can you stop bellyaching about the year?? There are different ways of saying you've had a rough time. Twat.

• 1 month later...

spacer.png

They've given Donatello glasses.

I'm sure there's a case to be made that it's for inclusion, so that kids with glasses can see themselves on screen as a hero in a half shell.

But it's not Leonardo, who leads. It's not Raphael, who's cool but rude. And it's not Michelangelo, the party dude. It's Donatello, who does machines. The nerd. As always.

Ironically this kind of lazy reinforcement of stereotypes was rife in the era that the Turtles debuted, yet it's only now, in supposedly more conscious and enlightened times, that it's found its way into the franchise.

I didn't wear glasses as a child and even as an adult I don't walk around in them all day, so I don't really feel like a glasses wearer with a personal axe to grind, but it still ticks me off to see this characterisation not just still happening in 2023, but being introduced as an "improvement" to an existing IP.