Minor Annoyances (Vol 2)

• Paid Members

When you get back from picking a takeaway up, dish everything out, the family are all sat in the lounge with their food, the film / tv show you’ve been looking forward to all week starts, you go to take your first bite and… one of your kids sits on the remote, changes channel, causing a complete panic of 1) where’s the remote gone and 2) getting things back how they were before you tuck in to your kebab wrap

• Paid Members

I can never, ever remember Bill Hader's name. It just won't lodge in my head. I'm a big fan, I think he's brilliant. Multiple times now I've been recommending Barry to someone and stumble and the hurdle of his name.

"It's starring and written by... um, that guy, you know... he was on SNL... er Seth something? No. Was in some Judd Appatow films..." *person walks away*

I think it's a combo of him not really seeming like a Bill, and starring in a TV show with a name that begins with the same letter. 

Maybe it's the Englishness in me, but I just don't understand how you can be so brazen that you can play music (and such shit music) knowing full well everyone around you can hear it. I live in a semi detached in a cul de sac so I'd say that about 30 houses can hear this.

You must know it annoys others. Its a kind of selfishness that I almost admire as it's so blatant.

Unless you live in a detached house on land, if you want to listen to loud music, put your fucking headphones on.

• Paid Members
18 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Maybe it's the Englishness in me, but I just don't understand how you can be so brazen that you can play music (and such shit music) knowing full well everyone around you can hear it. I live in a semi detached in a cul de sac so I'd say that about 30 houses can hear this.

You must know it annoys others. Its a kind of selfishness that I almost admire as it's so blatant.

Unless you live in a detached house on land, if you want to listen to loud music, put your fucking headphones on.

My neighbour does this all the time to the point I pray for rain every weekend just to have a bit of peace. What’s worse is they put Alexa in their garden and play Heart radio full blast. They are so dull they don’t even have playlists or listen to albums or anything. So I feel your pain today, it sucks. 

4 minutes ago, waters44 said:

My neighbour does this all the time to the point I pray for rain every weekend just to have a bit of peace. What’s worse is they put Alexa in their garden and play Heart radio full blast. They are so dull they don’t even have playlists or listen to albums or anything. So I feel your pain today, it sucks. 

The worst thing about living in an attached house is the bass. I'll be honest, I don't think I'd give a shit if it wasn't for the bass being so high.

Thank god it's not often this happens, but my last place I had to wage a war for 2 and a half years with the fucking cunts that ran the dry cleaners underneath me, who had a speaker that was right under my bedroom.

If it does turn into a long term thing, might have to bust my council ID out and pretend I'm from the Noise Abatement team or something 😂

Edited by SuperBacon

My next door neighbour used to be similar when he was going through his divorce a few years back. He'd sit at the end of the garden, getting pissed, with his Alexa blasting out same four or five Bon Jovi and Queen songs on repeat for the whole street to hear.

The plus side of his social ineptitude was his technological ineptitude was equally as bad. I think the reason his playlist was so small was partly because he really liked the songs, but also because he didn't know how to add more or change it. When he would nip inside for a piss or something, we'd walk past the end of his garden - which was surrounded by a six foot fence - and tell Alexa to play smooth jazz/death metal/whatever we found funny. He'd think the Amazon Echo was playing up and turn it off.

Although other times he'd play CDs on his HiFi in the front room, open the patio doors, and sit at the very end of the garden meaning he'd have to turn the volume up so high to be able to hear it from where he sat that it would make our house shake. To be honest though, I'd rather that than have his ex-wife living there again. Absolute nightmare she was.

• Paid Members

I might have mentioned before someone near me seems to think they need to shout at their Alexa to make it work, so while the music's not that loud the deafening shout of "Alexa, Play" every so often is another matter.

I'm housesitting this weekend with the whole of Netflix and Prime Video at my command, a novelty for me. So I've just searched for twenty of my favourite non-Disney films - all mainstream staples (I'm a man of simple tastes) - and only eight of them are available on either of these two leading platforms, without paying extra to buy or rent them.

What is the point? What are you paying for with these services? I always thought it was the convenience of watching pretty much what you want, when you want, with only the occasional disappointment of a licence expiring or a top rival securing the rights.

If you're just looking for "something to watch" so you're not staring at a blank wall for the next two hours, then I'm sure free streaming apps can spare you that much. Meanwhile if you're looking for something specific on any given day, well Britain's top pair of paid options are apparently more likely to shrug at you than justify their existence.

I remember WWE Network being heralded as the "Netflix" of wrestling. Maybe what we really needed was a "WWE Network" of movies. (And no, not just those starring The Miz or John Cena.)

I'd say things tend to switch between Netflix, Amazon and Sky/Now every few months to a year or so. There'll still be things that just don't pop up anywhere which is really annoying but you'll find most common things between those three. Then yeah obviously you've got shitloads on Disney as well for certain things.

Its definitely a lot more complicated and confusing these days to stream stuff and it has definitely lost that ease of sitting down and just finding something. Especially now you've got stuff like Paramount. There can be some crossover but not always. Or they're on time delay. Its a minefield these days really.