Minor Annoyances (Vol 2)

10 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

On the Halloween front, going pumpkin picking seems to have become massive over here in the past couple of years. When and why and what’s the point?

You've never been fruit picking?

I mean I absolutely hate it, as I'm a miserable sod, but the kids loved it when they were younger, and that's the point.

We're all old bitter bastards. 

We did it last year and it was good fun trudging around with the kids looking for the perfect ones. It was nice weather, the staff were all lovely and it was a bit of a morning out. Downside was that it was busy and a bit too chaotic for my liking.
A mate of mine went to the same place a week ago and said it was like World War 3. He said it was a nightmare trying to pick a good one because there were so many more people there all looking for good ones, probably because of how it's taken off. Queues to get in and a shambles getting parked so we sacked it off this year and went pumpkin picking out of the big cardboard boxes infront of Asda instead.

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, cobra_gordo said:

We did it last year and it was good fun trudging around with the kids looking for the perfect ones.

out of the big cardboard boxes infront of Asda instead.

I have this experience with Mrs raid. Strikes me as the same as getting them from a field but without getting muddy.

29 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

Yeah it never appealed to me whatsoever until we had kids. Now we go strawberry picking and pumpkins too. But it has to be somewhere that has a cafe with decent cake. That's the point for me.

I find most garden centres have decent cafes. The one in Chessington is absolutely fantastic, and we would go there regularly just to eat.

10 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

I find most garden centres have decent cafes. The one in Chessington is absolutely fantastic, and we would go there regularly just to eat.

Oh there's no other reason for a garden centre visit for me.

We've got some nice farm places around here too that usually have nice cafes attached to them. Decent homemade cake is essential.

• Paid Members

Strawberry picking makes sense because they are growing the strawberries on the land. All the pumpkin picking places around here are just a field that the farmer or landowner has had the pumpkins placed in, so that Hugo and Jemima can go and get a pumpkin for Halloween because it's important to show little Tarquin where food comes from.

Pumpkin picking is a scam. 

56 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

We live in a semi rural area which is littered with Garden Centres so they all try to out-do each other. A lot of them have soft plays and one has a 2 & 1/2 acre (free) outdoor gardens complete with play equipment and even a hobbit house. Most of them grow their own food too so have amazing cafes, the cakes are amazing..... We spend a lot of weekends at garden centres, something I never thought I would say.

40 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

Strawberry picking makes sense because they are growing the strawberries on the land. All the pumpkin picking places around here are just a field that the farmer or landowner has had the pumpkins placed in, so that Hugo and Jemima can go and get a pumpkin for Halloween because it's important to show little Tarquin where food comes from.

Pumpkin picking is a scam. 

Have you been reading the Mail again?