Minor Annoyances (Vol 2)

• Paid Members

People with no fucking bar etiquette.

I was at a wedding on Saturday, and took half an hour to get served because it was just a succession of dickheads being served in front of me. One bloke borrowed his mate's crutch so he could push to the front of the bar by trading on sympathy, openly told me that's what he'd just done when he got there (where I was already waiting to be served), and then still shouted over me and made sure he got served before me. The golden rule of the pub should always be that when you're asked who's next, you gesture to the person who was there before you, and that means you get served next.

Meanwhile, one person was ordering a ton of cocktails (only two bar staff, so basically cutting response time by at least half), and the woman in front of me acted as if she'd never been at a bar before. Ordered "a bitter", which somehow turned into a five minute conversation over whether each individual beer was a bitter or not. Got three or four drinks served, then said, "could I also get three gin and tonics?", because apparently ordering everything at once is too difficult. The bloke started pouring them, and she decided that actually she wants flavoured gins, and asks what they've got. She makes him go through every individual bottle of flavoured gin, reading the flavour aloud and showing them to her. Once he's shown all of them, she asks, "have you got an orange one?". Were any of the flavours he just gave you orange? No? Then probably fucking not, right? She eventually settles on whatever flavour, and there's only enough for one - barman apologises, and asks if she'd want another flavour for the other two. "Have you definitely not got any more anywhere else?". Yeah, he's just fucking choosing not to serve it to you, right? To his credit, he very bluntly said, "even if I did, I'd have to leave the bar and there's no one else here, so no". Just the fucking worst.

Also, there seems to be a trend towards actively queuing at pub bars now. Like, an actual line starting at the bar and working backwards, rather than using the whole length of the bar. I see it in the pubs near my work a lot, so I don't know if it's chiefly due to students who didn't learn how to behave in a pub because of the pandemic, or something else I'm missing, but it's really, really annoying. 

21 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

People with no fucking bar etiquette.

I was at a wedding on Saturday, and took half an hour to get served because it was just a succession of dickheads being served in front of me. One bloke borrowed his mate's crutch so he could push to the front of the bar by trading on sympathy, openly told me that's what he'd just done when he got there (where I was already waiting to be served), and then still shouted over me and made sure he got served before me. The golden rule of the pub should always be that when you're asked who's next, you gesture to the person who was there before you, and that means you get served next.

Meanwhile, one person was ordering a ton of cocktails (only two bar staff, so basically cutting response time by at least half), and the woman in front of me acted as if she'd never been at a bar before. Ordered "a bitter", which somehow turned into a five minute conversation over whether each individual beer was a bitter or not. Got three or four drinks served, then said, "could I also get three gin and tonics?", because apparently ordering everything at once is too difficult. The bloke started pouring them, and she decided that actually she wants flavoured gins, and asks what they've got. She makes him go through every individual bottle of flavoured gin, reading the flavour aloud and showing them to her. Once he's shown all of them, she asks, "have you got an orange one?". Were any of the flavours he just gave you orange? No? Then probably fucking not, right? She eventually settles on whatever flavour, and there's only enough for one - barman apologises, and asks if she'd want another flavour for the other two. "Have you definitely not got any more anywhere else?". Yeah, he's just fucking choosing not to serve it to you, right? To his credit, he very bluntly said, "even if I did, I'd have to leave the bar and there's no one else here, so no". Just the fucking worst.

Also, there seems to be a trend towards actively queuing at pub bars now. Like, an actual line starting at the bar and working backwards, rather than using the whole length of the bar. I see it in the pubs near my work a lot, so I don't know if it's chiefly due to students who didn't learn how to behave in a pub because of the pandemic, or something else I'm missing, but it's really, really annoying. 

I appreciate sometimes when it's really really busy they can't, but I find you can always tell a good barman/barmaid by them knowing who is next. A good bar person doesn't need to ask who's next. My local are shocking for this, 3 people at the bar the other day, she serves one, its clear the guy next to me is next as he was there before me as she ws serving the other person, and she looks at us both and ask who's next. Piss poor.

Edited by Doog

51 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

I thought this was a student thing as I first noticed it at bars near the uni, but it seems to be spreading to "people that don't go out much". It's going to make the next few weeks even more aggravating.

• Paid Members
23 hours ago, BomberPat said:

This is the one time it's perfectly acceptable to jump a queue. If there's a single-file queue 9 people deep and I can get served quicker by standing next to the first person, that's on everyone behind me for not knowing how a pub works.

Reply all is so fucking unnecessary. 

Case in point: I work in a team of 5. We all are in a Teams chat. 

Sometimes my manager sends out emails with attachments, information etc even though we all have and use Sharepoint. Cool, no problem. I'm fine with that. It's acceptable.

What isn't acceptable is for everyone to then spent the next hour REPLYING ALL with "Thanks for that", questions, comments etc when you could quite easily pop in the Teams chat and say "with regards to the email you just sent" and continue the conversation there, and where I can mute the chat and get on with my work.

I absolutely detest unnecessary emails. I now have 12 emails from the original and if you're looking at emails on a phone it automatically defaults to the latest, which is super annoying as well.

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

What isn't acceptable is for everyone to then spent the next hour REPLYING ALL with "Thanks for that", questions, comments etc when you could quite easily pop in the Teams chat and say "with regards to the email you just sent" and continue the conversation there, and where I can mute the chat and get on with my work.

This reminds me there was some training thing or other accidentally put into everyone's calendar, company wide (10,000+ people), to which people kept replying to the email about it with

"What's this?"

"was this meant for me?"

"Please remove me from this chain"

"Please stop replying all!"

"Requesting removal from the chain"

"Don't reply all!"

"What is this?"

"AAAAAAAAARGH, STOP REPLYING ALL!"

"I DEMAND you take me off this chain NOW!"

"Is this training intended for me?"

It went on for hours. Fucking great afternoon that was. 

• Paid Members
18 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Sometimes my manager sends out emails with attachments, information etc even though we all have and use Sharepoint. Cool, no problem. I'm fine with that. It's acceptable.

I absolutely detest unnecessary emails. I now have 12 emails from the original and if you're looking at emails on a phone it automatically defaults to the latest, which is super annoying as well.

Yeah I hate this as well. We had a guy send out an email to a curator about a damaged object which we were all in. She replied. That’s fine. They then start having a conversation. He replies unnecessarily with “I agree!” after a whole back and forth for half an hour when he would’ve been fine just to ignore her last message. Then someone else replies saying “Received” You don’t need to reply with that. Just shut up. It’s bad enough we have a WhatsApp chat that gets clogged up with shit.

• Paid Members
25 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

The flipside of this was a lecturer I worked with who, after an email sent to the department advising against using Reply All as it was unnecessary and cluttered people's Inboxes, replied "good point, I agree :)". He knew exactly what he was doing, and I admire the sheer dickheadery of it.

20 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

The flipside of this was a lecturer I worked with who, after an email sent to the department advising against using Reply All as it was unnecessary and cluttered people's Inboxes, replied "good point, I agree :)". He knew exactly what he was doing, and I admire the sheer dickheadery of it.

Absolutely acceptable.

• Paid Members
56 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

41 minutes ago, gmoney said:

This reminds me there was some training thing or other accidentally put into everyone's calendar, company wide (10,000+ people), to which people kept replying to the email about it with

"What's this?"

"was this meant for me?"

"Please remove me from this chain"

"Please stop replying all!"

"Requesting removal from the chain"

"Don't reply all!"

"What is this?"

"AAAAAAAAARGH, STOP REPLYING ALL!"

"I DEMAND you take me off this chain NOW!"

"Is this training intended for me?"

It went on for hours. Fucking great afternoon that was. 

31 minutes ago, TheBurningRed said:

Yeah I hate this as well. We had a guy send out an email to a curator about a damaged object which we were all in. She replied. That’s fine. They then start having a conversation. He replies unnecessarily with “I agree!” after a whole back and forth for half an hour when he would’ve been fine just to ignore her last message. Then someone else replies saying “Received” You don’t need to reply with that. Just shut up. It’s bad enough we have a WhatsApp chat that gets clogged up with shit.

29 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

9 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Absolutely acceptable.

Agreed.

45 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

One for The Daily Shithouse! Good Arrows!

• Paid Members
On 6/7/2022 at 1:28 PM, air_raid said:

If you want to get into bullshit generated by your CRM or internal email ;

re:re:re:re:re:re:re:re:re:re issue number 234508766

person Z said :

person Y said :

person X said :

..... the number of those where I've hit "Reply All" (remembering to delete the people no longer relevant to the conversation, I'm not a monster), deleted EVERYTHING from the reply field including every signature stupidly still included on an internal chain, and simply left ONE relevant detail in the subject line (an order/invoice/reference/ticket number) and just put "Sorted" in the reply, to close it off and shut everyone up. Hoping, a little, that the brevity upsets someone.

Bumping this because topical.

One guy writing to 10 “Please let me know your individual whatever.”

Prick that hits reply All : “Here’s some shite the rest of you don’t need to read and don’t care about.”

• Paid Members

We had an e-mail the other day to the whole department which should have been a long email asking for assistance on something, but he evidently clicked send by mistake and what he actually sent to everyone was "hello everyone, I really need some ass". 

It's second only to the women who once sent out she'd left some cum cakes in the kitchen. 

• Awards Moderator
On 11/28/2022 at 10:24 AM, BomberPat said:

Also, there seems to be a trend towards actively queuing at pub bars now

This sounds like a better system than hoping you get noticed / hoping person before you is courteous? With the added bonus of knowing how long the wait is? 

Note: I never go in pubs.