A thread in which for Arsenal and Spurs fans to have sexual tension and poor banter 20/21.

PowerButchi

• Paid Members
35 minutes ago, Dai said:

I can still see the gatecrashing, ala West Ham/Leicester, even with this new competition. I think everyone is in agreement that the FFP is a complete joke anyway, so being free from it wont suddendly open the floodgates to even greater spending in my opinion. 

The Super League clubs will be so much richer though, that the likes of Leicester and West Ham will require much greater financial investment. And if that investment doesn't equal results (in terms of sporting and financial), then those clubs could go bust.

22 minutes ago, air_raid said:

Still, might be nice to be allowed back into the real thread next year.

This is the real thread. 

2 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

The Super League clubs will be so much richer though, that the likes of Leicester and West Ham will require much greater financial investment. And if that investment doesn't equal results (in terms of sporting and financial), then those clubs could go bust.

Also, what is a players reason for staying at those other clubs now? Now, a player might stay at Leicester as you have the chance to actually play in the CL and europe. Now? No chance. You'll want to go and play in the ESL and earn a fortune. Its a monopoly. And so what if Everton suddenly finish 2nd? Whats their reward?

Its bollocks. There's no defending it.

1 hour ago, Dai said:

These elite clubs spend what they want even now, so I dont think transfers would be seriously affected if they are free from FFP, therefore the gap wont get significantly bigger I dont think.

Thing is, Spurs and Arsenal are not spending at all. I know you said elite, but for the purpose the argument we'll use 'Big 6'.

• Paid Members
36 minutes ago, Factotum said:

Also, what is a players reason for staying at those other clubs now? Now, a player might stay at Leicester as you have the chance to actually play in the CL and europe. Now? No chance. You'll want to go and play in the ESL and earn a fortune. Its a monopoly. And so what if Everton suddenly finish 2nd? Whats their reward?

Presumably they stay at the other clubs because they're still eligible to play in internationals and represent their country if they do, assuming FIFA manage to make good on their threats. 

Just now, jazzygeofferz said:

Presumably they stay at the other clubs because they're still eligible to play in internationals and represent their country if they do, assuming FIFA manage to make good on their threats. 

I don't see how FIFA can. 

Firstly, players have signed contracts with a team not knowing they would be signing up for this Super League. The players won't be able to tear up these contracts, so punishing them is really severe and unfair. 

Secondly, if there is a World Cup without Kane, Son, Sterling, Foden, Aguero, Messi, Ronaldo, Fernandes, Rashford, Jesus, Firmino, Allison, VVD, Trent etc. then sponsors are unlikely to want to invest huge sums of money to sponsor essentially a second rate World Cup.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

FIFA are paying lip service to UEFA by making empty threats here, if it was actually FIFA that made such threats. No chance in hell they'll stop players from playing for their national teams.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, PunkStep said:

It was open to every and any team in Europe. Apart from 5 invitation slots, this is a closed competition. The same 15 teams competing year after year. I don't like that at all.

So you don't like the Champions League then, because that is pretty much the same teams every year contesting the latter stages. The German clubs aside the last time a Champions League final was won by a team outside the proposed Super League teams was 2003. 

There already is a Super League, The Champions League isn't any better just because Ventspils, Krasnodar, or Rangers are occasionally allowed to play in the group stages. Arsenal and Spurs should consider themselves lucky that they are still considered relevant enough to be invited. 

1 hour ago, Factotum said:

Even these days, the allure of playing some group stage matches in the CL probably plays a miniscule factor in whether players stay at a smaller club. Even in your example of Leicester, look at how many players they have lost to the big 6 since they won the league. The CL/Europe factor is almost non existant for these players who left, so again, this new league has zero affect on this in my opinion.

Obviously there are no plans for this new thing yet, but surely if Everton finish 2nd, they probably get into the ESL for the following year, and get to play quite a few of the biggest teams in the world in front of massive audiences, something thats better than what you get if you finish 4th currently. Everton could get knocked out at the group stage of the CL, or they could beat Real Madrid at Goodison Park, which would live on for years to come. Far fetched I admit, but not beyond the realms of impossibility.

56 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

1. That wont happen as imagine a World Cup without any of the stars 2. Players would choose to play for their clubs over the country I am sure of it. Why would you want to be fucking about playing San Marino when you can get a fortune playing Barcelona every week.