A thread in which for Arsenal and Spurs fans to have sexual tension and poor banter 20/21.

PowerButchi

So as someone completely unaware of the situation. Can I ask without being flamed (there's an old term), why this is happening? Are there any positives because it just reads like a horrific monetary based business decision by people who probably don't live or die by football I'm assuming. 

• Paid Members

The European Cup was expanded so the top clubs and UEFA could make more money by having more games. This Super League is just the natural next step from that. The only reason UEFA and FIFA are upset is because their snouts are not in the trough. The only reason I am upset is because of the inclusion of Spurs and Arsenal, who should just play each other 38 times per year so that their fans can be happy. 

I don't think they will be banned though, unfortunately the premier league, FA, and above all the other 86 clubs need the 'Big 6' clubs more than the big 6 need them. I'd go as far as to say it could be 90 clubs (including Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea and City) need Man United and Liverpool more than Utd and Liverpool need everyone else. They might get chucked out of UEFA competition but what does that even mean without the biggest clubs (Bayern excepted)?

It's going to create a massive disparity between clubs within the Premier League, no team will ever be able to break the Top 4, probably even the Top 6. Can you imagine if Spurs and Arsenal start spending like the other sides, it will totally destroy who is going to win the league. I guess you'll still have the fun of relegation, but it will be nigh on impossible for a team to break the 'Big 6'.

If these teams do leave the Premier League then the TV rights are gone. I'm sure Sky and BT are already looking for loopholes of what to do if Liverpool and United are not in the league and will try to recoup money from clubs. If the Big 6 give their money back to broadcasters, so what? They've just been given €300,000,000. The other 14 wouldn't be able to function without this money. That's without the foreign TV rights, and if we're honest who on earth, outside of the UK is going to pay (enough subscribers to make it a worthwhile investment) to watch Burnley, Norwich or Brighton? The Premier League IS Manchester United, Liverpool and to a degree Arsenal and Chelsea. The Big 6 know they have the league over a barrel, the league will fold without them, FIFA will relent as they are not going to want the best players in the world to not play at a World Cup, the only ones that may stick to their guns are UEFA, but they couldn't even nail City for blatant disregard of FFP, so they'll probably fall in line too.

7 minutes ago, stewdogg said:

I don't think they will be banned though, unfortunately the premier league, FA, and above all the other 86 clubs need the 'Big 6' clubs more than the big 6 need them. I'd go as far as to say it could be 90 clubs (including Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea and City) need Man United and Liverpool more than Utd and Liverpool need everyone else. They might get chucked out of UEFA competition but what does that even mean without the biggest clubs (Bayern excepted)?

It's going to create a massive disparity between clubs within the Premier League, no team will ever be able to break the Top 4, probably even the Top 6. Can you imagine if Spurs and Arsenal start spending like the other sides, it will totally destroy who is going to win the league. I guess you'll still have the fun of relegation, but it will be nigh on impossible for a team to break the 'Big 6'.

If these teams do leave the Premier League then the TV rights are gone. I'm sure Sky and BT are already looking for loopholes of what to do if Liverpool and United are not in the league and will try to recoup money from clubs. If the Big 6 give their money back to broadcasters, so what? They've just been given €300,000,000. The other 14 wouldn't be able to function without this money. That's without the foreign TV rights, and if we're honest who on earth, outside of the UK is going to pay (enough subscribers to make it a worthwhile investment) to watch Burnley, Norwich or Brighton? The Premier League IS Manchester United, Liverpool and to a degree Arsenal and Chelsea. The Big 6 know they have the league over a barrel, the league will fold without them, FIFA will relent as they are not going to want the best players in the world to not play at a World Cup, the only ones that may stick to their guns are UEFA, but they couldn't even nail City for blatant disregard of FFP, so they'll probably fall in line too.

Theres not a chance in hell of them leaving the Premier League, for all the reasons youve just stated. As for this 'creating' a disparity between the Top 6 and the others, thats already there and has been for years. I havent got any specifics, but you always hear on the commentary about how the big 6 have one or two players on the bench that cost pretty much combined the starting 11 of the opposition. Look at how much the combined value is of the average subs bench of a Man City or Untied.

Havent they said that 25% of it will be open for all other clubs? The sad fact is, a team like West Ham getting one of these open slots and getting smashed by the elite clubs during midweek would serve them better financially than the CL would, and give them a much more focussed audience on them ( a win against one of these clubs, where the viewing figures would be constantly huge, would surely be far better than getting knocked out at the group stage of the CL).

1 minute ago, SuperBacon said:

Me last night: I've never been more ashamed to support Spurs. They're dead to me.

Me right now: COYSCOYSCOYSCOYSCOYSCOYSCOYSCOYSCOYSCOYSCOYSCOYSCOYSCOYSCOYSCOYSCOYSCOYSCOYS

The last two days have been mental. It's like Vince Russo is finally booking all of the football.

The last 12 hours! 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

The European Cup was expanded so the top clubs and UEFA could make more money by having more games. 

It was open to every and any team in Europe. Apart from 5 invitation slots, this is a closed competition. The same 15 teams competing year after year. I don't like that at all.

11 minutes ago, Factotum said:

On the ESL. Anyone else think as a sports contest it looks horrendously boring? Whats the actual point?

Agreed. Look at what the likes of Atalanta and Ajax have given the Champions League in recent years. You can forget about that. 

48 minutes ago, Dai said:

As for this 'creating' a disparity between the Top 6 and the others, thats already there and has been for years.

It has, but there's still opportunity for others to gatecrash. West Ham and Leicester vying for Champions League places this season, Everton have had heavy investment to try and make them competitive, Wolves becoming the third biggest team in the world etc. That gap between the big 6 is going to widen much further. These teams will be free from UEFA's paper-thin FFP regulations and the PL won't have the balls to try and put something similar in place because they will need those clubs more than ever.

You'll have two Premiere Leagues in future- one made up of 6 and another of 14. Although despite attracting top talent we'll still spectacularly balls it up and battle with Leeds in mid-table.

4 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

It has, but there's still opportunity for others to gatecrash. West Ham and Leicester vying for Champions League places this season, Everton have had heavy investment to try and make them competitive, Wolves becoming the third biggest team in the world etc. That gap between the big 6 is going to widen much further. These teams will be free from UEFA's paper-thin FFP regulations and the PL won't have the balls to try and put something similar in place because they will need those clubs more than ever.

You'll have two Premiere Leagues in future- one made up of 6 and another of 14. Although despite attracting top talent we'll still spectacularly balls it up and battle with Leeds in mid-table.

I can still see the gatecrashing, ala West Ham/Leicester, even with this new competition. I think everyone is in agreement that the FFP is a complete joke anyway, so being free from it wont suddendly open the floodgates to even greater spending in my opinion. These elite clubs spend what they want even now, so I dont think transfers would be seriously affected if they are free from FFP, therefore the gap wont get significantly bigger I dont think.