General Pinochet's All New Domestic Football 20/21. Arsenal and Spurs free!!!

PowerButchi

4 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Maybe if the joke was logical and made sense it wouldn’t need explaining?

I'd go with that but last time I checked (a year and a half ago) it was most certainly cardio 🥵 unfit bastard

Edited by Sphinx

• Paid Members

That Balbuena red card is absolute disgrace. Sure I’m pissed because it’s West Ham, but I don’t even think it’s a booking, let alone a sending off. And with another 15 minutes played with stoppage time, that could have cost us an equaliser. VAR really is shite isn’t it?

• Paid Members

It's. The. Fucking. Refs.  The train of thought (I read the comments, forgive me) appears to be that it's a deliberate shift in position of the foot away from a natural withdrawl into a stamp.

Edited by seph

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, seph said:

It's. The. Fucking. Refs.  The train of thought (I read the comments, forgive me) appears to be that it's a deliberate shift in position of the foot away from a natural withdrawl into a stamp.

Is it a deliberate shift though? He’s looking at the ball the whole time and the player turns. About 5 minutes later there was a similar play Soufel maybe, can’t remember, but he caught his thigh rather then calf and there wasn’t even a VAR check

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

That Balbuena red card is absolute disgrace. Sure I’m pissed because it’s West Ham, but I don’t even think it’s a booking, let alone a sending off. And with another 15 minutes played with stoppage time, that could have cost us an equaliser. VAR really is shite isn’t it?

Nothing to do with VAR(the technology). The problem is two-fold as 1, the decision is still being made by humans and 2, too many rules in football are open to interpretation. It's worked with cricket and tennis as the majority of the rules are black and white, with little room for interpretation. The LBW rule in cricket for example, has 3 simple things that need to occur. Does it pitch outside, leg? If yes, does it hit in line with the stumps, if yes would it have hit the stumps. Three "yes" to those and it's out, which is why it works so well with Hawkeye tech.

Football doesn't work like that though, which is why it's all over the place. In my opinion, two things need changing. Firstly, they should develop an "umpires call" type of thing for the refs/linesman. So, as an example, a marginal offside call happens and the forward goes on to score. The linesman's call should be classed as a "soft signal" on if he thinks they are off or not(lets say he gives it offside), then the video ref, rather than trying to decide if he is categorically on or off, should just be trying to find evidence of a bad call(with "umpires call" style margin of error). As it stands at the minute, we might as well develop technology that replaces the officials all-together as you're taking the decision out of their hands.

Secondly, I'd change what VAR ref can look at. Anything that can be interpreted differently by different people should not something the VAR ref can look at. Anything like that, can be viewed on the screen by the match ref, but that's it. Keep the VAR for offsides, goal line, and confirming if a foul takes place in the box or not(again, all barring the goal-line tech should be based on the refs "soft" call with margin of error).

• Paid Members
38 minutes ago, Cod Eye said:

It's worked with cricket and tennis as the majority of the rules are black and white, with little room for interpretation. The LBW rule in cricket for example, has 3 simple things that need to occur. Does it pitch outside, leg? If yes, does it hit in line with the stumps, if yes would it have hit the stumps. Three "yes" to those and it's out, which is why it works so well with Hawkeye tech.

@PowerButchi can we have it next season that only people who also like cricket can post in the football threads?

• Paid Members

Aunt Flo and Real's paranoia is ridiculous. UEFA wouldn't let politics interfere with the on-field stuff. Real might be considered the Enemy of Football right now, but UEFA are hardly going to send a ref out to obviously fuck a team in a Champions League Semi, with the whole world watching, are they?

Edited by CleetusVanDamme