General Pinochet's All New Domestic Football 20/21. Arsenal and Spurs free!!!

PowerButchi

• Moderators

Other than Chelsea, as I like them. They're sound. 

I'm just wondering why the big 6 bottled it though? Gareth Bale's agent was on Radio Wales earlier saying he'd leave either Madrid or Spurs to keep playing for Wales at international level, but that's just Gareth Bale who's always made it clear he'd lose money to play for Wales. 

Or have the biggest clubs learned that no one particularly likes even the champions league these days so to make a more incestuous and insular version is bollocks? 

Or did they think Uefa would blink first? 

Or, for a change, have the ticket buying crowds finally won one? 

• Moderators

Swiss model was rubber stamped on Monday according to the Guardian. So it was all posturing anyway. Bloated Champions League that means nothing until the semis and teams like Ajax still not guaranteed entry to group stage. 

European football is fucking abhorrent

8 hours ago, gmoney said:

It'll never happen, but the 6 teams should be docked a healthy amount of points I reckon.

Yup. Have them start on something like -15 or -20 next season and fine them heftily, too. 

People have been relegated/kicked out of leagues for less. 

• Paid Members

With them all having left the ECA I reckon UEFA should wipe their coefficient as well if they even let them rejoin. Stick them in pot D for a few years and saddle them with some tough draws.

• Paid Members

I think this is a missed opportunity to move football forward.

Perez was exaggerating - I don't think it's true that young people are no longer interested in football, that's a generalisation. But I think there's enough evidence to suggest that attention spans, driven by the internet mainly, are dropping and a game that lasts the best part of two hours is a challenge for kids that are brought up enjoying watching stuff in bite sizes.

There's been total short-sightedness about all this. All this talk about "Oh, if there's no relegation then don't matches become meaningless for some teams after a while?" Doesn't seem to be much of an issue in the MLB, NBA or NHL. They play dozens of games a year, many of which are technically meaningless, yet they are still well supported and watched. Again, it's that typically arrogant British mentality - 'our way' is always the right way.

The Champions League needs to be torn up and started again. Adding extra teams to it means nothing. It will still be heavily swayed towards proposed Super League sides as it is. This was an opportunity to do that and UEFA should have made a point of sitting down and discussing it rather than threatening players for being members of clubs that just happened to agree to this. This is going to happen at some stage and I rather think it *has* to happen.

As for Chelsea and City with the claims that they tagged along because they didn't want to be left behind, pathetic. They're being painted as heroes by some because they were the first to fuck it off but they're arguably the worst of the bunch. Talking like they were handcuffed to the other 10 and held at knifepoint rather than doing what the German clubs did and not agreeing to do with it. They're absolutely gutless. At least the other clubs were clear about their intentions.

This is only time you will mobilise the Chelsea fanbase ... a lot of lads in Stone Island had their own mini Brexit last night. 

A true victory for real football and those great champions of the working man, Sky TV, Gary Neville and UEFA. Let's get back to extortionate subscriptions charges, inflated match tickets and Winter World Cups in Qatar post haste!

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, SaitoRyo said:

Yup. Have them start on something like -15 or -20 next season and fine them heftily, too. 

People have been relegated/kicked out of leagues for less. 

Hell no. Do it now and make it 30 so the North London love-in is a relegation scrap.

7 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I think this is a missed opportunity to move football forward.

Perez was exaggerating - I don't think it's true that young people are no longer interested in football, that's a generalisation. But I think there's enough evidence to suggest that attention spans, driven by the internet mainly, are dropping and a game that lasts the best part of two hours is a challenge for kids that are brought up enjoying watching stuff in bite sizes.

There's been total short-sightedness about all this. All this talk about "Oh, if there's no relegation then don't matches become meaningless for some teams after a while?" Doesn't seem to be much of an issue in the MLB, NBA or NHL. They play dozens of games a year, many of which are technically meaningless, yet they are still well supported and watched. Again, it's that typically arrogant British mentality - 'our way' is always the right way.

I don't disagree that this country often displays that kind of arrogance, but it's a fairly common attitude in North America as well. Swapping 'British is best' for their franchise model wouldn't really be an improvement. All the major European leagues eventually voluntarily copied the system of promotion and relegation after The Football League stumbled into inventing it. It's an important part of holding a competition based on sporting merit.

That said, you're right that adding 4 extra 'wild card' teams doesn't help the Champions League at all. Whisper it quietly, but the so-called 'Swiss system' format that UEFA approved on Monday is actually worse than the proposed 20-team ESL format. The main problem with the latter is that 15 of the 20 clubs would've qualified automatically every season, no matter how badly they did. That's far from ideal if some semblance of sporting merit matters at all. Which it perhaps only does to most of the 'legacy' fans and not to the global markets the owners are chasing after. 

• Moderators

American sports also has the fun of teams tanking for draft picks which puts a bit more in the game towards the bottom. That wouldn't have happened with the ESL. Also the topsy turvyness of teams in the American system over years due to drafting and salary caps.

Edited by PowerButchi

• Paid Members
40 minutes ago, Fog Dude said:

Yeah, we're not about to transform BUCS into the NCAA overnight. And a salary cap would only work in football if applied worldwide. 

That would require a competent worldwide governing body, which we hav...nope nevermind.