General Pinochet's All New Domestic Football 20/21. Arsenal and Spurs free!!!

PowerButchi

On 5/14/2021 at 3:49 PM, Cod Eye said:

OK, so now we know that Barnsley are officially the UKFF's 3rd team, what are peoples honest opinion of our play-off hopes? 

I've supported them a long time, so I'm automatically fearing the worst, but the play-offs can be a bit of a lottery and form can go out of the window quite quickly. If we can get past Swansea, then it's all there to play for! 

If I can be permitted one post in here this season, then here it is.

Surely, SURELY this is Brentford's year? Sorry @Cod Eyebut I think it has to be.

After the bottling last year for them to miraculously miss out on automatic promotion at the last (I am still baffled as to how they managed it) to this season AGAIN bottling automatic promotion (those 4 straight draws in late March/early April did for them) and then bottling that final (and they did, and the blame lays directly with Franks I'm afraid), they can only have learnt from last years experience.

The thing with them this season is that whilst they replaced Watkins with Ivan Toney, one of the best strikers I've ever seen at Brentford, they didn't replace Benrahma, and his creativity, and Mbuemo has not been the same player he was last year. Whenever I have seen him he has looked so devoid of confidence, and has half the goals he had last season.

Positives though are that they are coming into this in great form, just at the right time and looked really strong in those last 4 wins of the season. Vitaly Janelt has been a really promising addition as well, and they have the best defence out of the four as well.

Negatives:

If Toney doesn't perform, Brentford will struggle. 31 goals for him, but then the next highest scorer is Canos with 9 and Mbuemo with 8. Not great. 

It's Brentford. Their record in the play offs, and finals, is AWFUL. That loss last season to Fulham was so frustrating, as they belied everything that got them to that point, were defensive in their tactics, and just froze up. Such a shame...

...however, there is a slight possibility that if they had gone up last year, they'd have come straight back down, it would've obviously been played out in front of no one, so if they go up now, then at least fans will be able to see them (hopefully) in the Premier League. A slight silver lining of not going up I guess?

Absolutely buzzing for the games against Bournemouth. Be great to see fans at the new stadium as well.

Can't pretend that I have seen much of Swansea or Barnsley (games against Brentford aside) but have heard that you have a high pressing and counter attacking style so that will be good to see, and would really cause Brentford problems.

Swansea have been lucky this year on a lot of occasions so it's all set for a Brentford vs Barnsley final, with hopefully the pride of West London winning!

All the best. COYSB

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

If I can be permitted one post in here this season, then here it is.

Surely, SURELY this is Brentford's year? Sorry @Cod Eyebut I think it has to be.

After the bottling last year for them to miraculously miss out on automatic promotion at the last (I am still baffled as to how they managed it) to this season AGAIN bottling automatic promotion (those 4 straight draws in late March/early April did for them) and then bottling that final (and they did, and the blame lays directly with Franks I'm afraid), they can only have learnt from last years experience.

The thing with them this season is that whilst they replaced Watkins with Ivan Toney, one of the best strikers I've ever seen at Brentford, they didn't replace Benrahma, and his creativity, and Mbuemo has not been the same player he was last year. Whenever I have seen him he has looked so devoid of confidence, and has half the goals he had last season.

Positives though are that they are coming into this in great form, just at the right time and looked really strong in those last 4 wins of the season. Vitaly Janelt has been a really promising addition as well, and they have the best defence out of the four as well.

Negatives:

If Toney doesn't perform, Brentford will struggle. 31 goals for him, but then the next highest scorer is Canos with 9 and Mbuemo with 8. Not great. 

It's Brentford. Their record in the play offs, and finals, is AWFUL. That loss last season to Fulham was so frustrating, as they belied everything that got them to that point, were defensive in their tactics, and just froze up. Such a shame...

...however, there is a slight possibility that if they had gone up last year, they'd have come straight back down, it would've obviously been played out in front of no one, so if they go up now, then at least fans will be able to see them (hopefully) in the Premier League. A slight silver lining of not going up I guess?

Absolutely buzzing for the games against Bournemouth. Be great to see fans at the new stadium as well.

Can't pretend that I have seen much of Swansea or Barnsley (games against Brentford aside) but have heard that you have a high pressing and counter attacking style so that will be good to see, and would really cause Brentford problems.

Swansea have been lucky this year on a lot of occasions so it's all set for a Brentford vs Barnsley final, with hopefully the pride of West London winning!

All the best. COYSB

If Brentford had not drawn Bournemouth in the semi-finals, I'd have made them big favourites against both Barnsley or Swansea. We have seemed to have their number in the league this season(and last, to be fair), but they are due a win against us. 

You are right about Toney, though. Out of all the play-off teams, none are as reliant on one player the way Brentford are on Toney. But if he is on his game, he is deadly.

Bournemouth really should be going up this year, though. Their only real weakness is that they ave Woodgate in charge. If they play to their best, they can blow the other 3 teams away.

As for the UKFF's official third team, I'm pre-conditioned to always fear the worst. Even in February, I never stopped checking the bottom of the table in fear we were going to be this seasons Hull City and drop like a stone. But I suppose we are where we are merit, and as long as the young players in the team do not crumble under the pressure of playing in front of crowds again, we always have a chance...

It’s been a shit season but fuck me I've grown to love Nat Phillips. He’s just an honest to goodness cart horse defender who hasn’t been shown up anywhere near the amount someone with the pace and mobility of an oil tanker playing in a high line should. I’d keep him around next season for the ale house teams, he’d put his head through a brick wall to clear the ball. 

The Count Of Monte Bisto isn’t taking your play the right way shit anymore 

Take me down to the Allardyce City where the gravy flows and the football’s pretty. 

David Moyes’ West Ham criticising Sam Allardyce’s West Brom for shitball is like when one your geeky mates gets in with the popular kids and starts ripping you for kudos. At least Allardyce used to be entertaining to watch.

Edited by Mr_Danger

• Paid Members

I've kept schtum all season, because I've really nothing to add to the discussion on here except nonsense and moaning - with my being an Everton fan and all - but I have to let it be known that I love Ben Godfrey. He's everything I want to see in a baller, particularly in an era where it's grand for James Rodriguez to be a bit tired. I'd probably let Godfrey have a pop at herself while I stood in the corner with a scarf wrapped around my fist, while gleefully singing "Grand Old Team" and everything.
But now apparently, the media want him to fuck off to a big club. It's all very bittersweet for me when a player has a good season for Everton. Me pots do be gone from May until the closure of the transfer window. It's not on. I'm too old to be caring about this. But I do, and I breaks me own heart year on year...

Gravy Tits will have gone full Joe Kinnear within a couple of years. Him potentially fucking off for good along with, Woy and Harry retiring, Pulis, Pardew and Hughes not looking likely to come back up, leaves a Frank Lampard and Steven Gerrard shaped hole in the British Managers club. It’s like Saved By The Bell the New Class, Brendan Rodgers as the new shitter Zack Morris.

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

Gravy Tits will have gone full Joe Kinnear within a couple of years. Him potentially fucking off for good along with, Woy and Harry retiring, Pulis, Pardew and Hughes not looking likely to come back up, leaves a Frank Lampard and Steven Gerrard shaped hole in the British Managers club. It’s like Saved By The Bell the New Class, Brendan Rodgers as the new shitter Zack Morris.

Money money money money money