General Pinochet's All New Domestic Football 20/21. Arsenal and Spurs free!!!

PowerButchi

• Paid Members

Despite the disappointment of losing in the play-offs, it's been one of the 3 or 4 best seasons I've had as a Barnsley supporter in over 30 years. To go from staying up last year with the final kick of the final game to finishing 5th and breaking club record after club record was a fantastic achievement. 

I'm now just praying we don't do a Barnsley and sell the spine of the team for a pittance, and give the gaffer an excuse to move on(he's already linked with West Brom). Hopefully the owners will see how close we've come this year with very little investment, and actually speculate a bit to add that little bit of quality we have been missing. There was numerous times this season where we needed that one player who can turn a game on it's head with a bit of magic, just like Andre Ayew and Grimes did for Swansea in the play-offs.

But overall, I'd have to give this campaign a B+.

• Paid Members

United playing the fastest front three of all time (Elanga, James, Amad) in front of the slowest midfield three of all time (van der Beek, Mata, Matic) was a rollercoaster ride, I tell you.

• Paid Members

Top 6 finish was the polar opposite of where I hoped we’d finish at the start of the season. 6th from bottom!

Sure, we fell apart in the last 3rd some what with Lingard doing his best while losing Declan Rice to injury, and with a bigger squad I believe we could have had a CL spot. But Moyes has had his first truly great season since Everton and our net spend in the summer was £0. 

I doubt we’ll keep Lingard which is a massive shame if we can’t, but I’m hopeful that if we can get a few new players in the summer I can hope for another top 10 finish next year.

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I doubt we’ll keep Lingard which is a massive shame if we can’t

I don't know. He's clearly had a great time there, fits the system, is trusted, knows Moyes, has a good relationship with everyone. Then again, his stock is high now and he may be wanted by bigger teams.

I actually think moving there during the no crowd era helped him a lot. I reckon there's a chance West Ham fans might have given a mixed reaction when he first went, which would have knocked his confidence. He's just been able to be himself and I'm really pleased for him.

Depends on the asking price really. If United want money for the real Lingard, tidy, reliable, decent, then West Ham should bite their hands off. Moyes has had loads of success with players like that. If United want £40m based on his red hot form then they should probably pass. 

A lot of talk of the mystical swap deals this summer, almost never actually happen them do they? If there’s any truth in that being a way for clubs to make deals during Covid days then Lingard could come in handy if United were looking seriously at Sancho, Kane, Grealish or Rice. Could see Lingard making a good fist of it at Dortmund in particular.

• Paid Members
41 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

A lot of talk of the mystical swap deals this summer, almost never actually happen them do they? If there’s any truth in that being a way for clubs to make deals during Covid days then Lingard could come in handy if United were looking seriously at Sancho, Kane, Grealish or Rice. Could see Lingard making a good fist of it at Dortmund in particular.

Kane will depend on City wanting him. He's not choosing United over City if the latter go for him, unless he really is as stupid as is commonly believed. But if you're City, do you go for him and risk missing Haaland next year, presuming reports are correct and he's definitely not moving this summer. Because I can't see him at anywhere other than City, with his dad's history especially.

United's priority has to be at least one central midfielder. Fred is fucking shit. McTominay can be left to doing tackling if they put someone good next to him. Then a centre back next, then a forward.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Kane will depend on City wanting him. He's not choosing United over City if the latter go for him, unless he really is as stupid as is commonly believed. But if you're City, do you go for him and risk missing Haaland next year, presuming reports are correct and he's definitely not moving this summer. Because I can't see him at anywhere other than City, with his dad's history especially.

United's priority has to be at least one central midfielder. Fred is fucking shit. McTominay can be left to doing tackling if they put someone good next to him. Then a centre back next, then a forward.

I think City would be daft not to go for Kane. Haaland is a fantastic player, but we don't know how he will do in the Premier League. I mean, look at all the "world class" talent that has come over with huge transfer fees and reputations and failed miserably. Veron, Robinho, Shevchenko, Adrian Mutu. All came over ad did fuck all when you would think they would tear the league up. With Kane, you know he's going to get past the 20 goal mark consistently. 

Thinking about that City team with either Kane or Haaland up top is terrifying. They have won this years title at a canter, and that is with a top scorer with "only' 13 goals. They may be near on unbeatable with a prolific striker again...

• Paid Members
36 minutes ago, Cod Eye said:

I think City would be daft not to go for Kane. Haaland is a fantastic player, but we don't know how he will do in the Premier League. I mean, look at all the "world class" talent that has come over with huge transfer fees and reputations and failed miserably. Veron, Robinho, Shevchenko, Adrian Mutu. All came over ad did fuck all when you would think they would tear the league up.

I mean, those are all terrible examples.

* Veron - United is where playmakers go to die, until Bruno Fernandes broke that run. He never stood a chance.

* Robinho - went to City for the money, was never going to be arsed.

* Shevchenko - was on his retirement tour.

* Mutu - wait, what?

• Paid Members

Thinking back now, I don't know where I got Mutu from to be honest. Maybe I was thinking of someone else(that's happening lately thanks to some medication I'm on, and is ver disconcerting).

My point does still stand though. In Kane, you're getting a player that is as nailed on be in the top couple of scorers in the league each year. Haaland probably would too, but until he gets here nobody knows for sure.

• Paid Members

In fairness, Mutu had a cracking start at Chelsea under Ranieri didn't he? Pre Mourinho (and the drugs ban) he seemed like a pretty handy player if I remember rightly.  

Sorry @Cod Eye I wrote this before I saw your reply above, feel free to ignore me!

Edited by mim731

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, Mr_Danger said:

Just pretend you meant Crespo.

I'd kill to have a striker "flop" like Crespo again.

7 hours ago, mim731 said:

In fairness, Mutu had a cracking start at Chelsea under Ranieri didn't he? Pre Mourinho (and the drugs ban) he seemed like a pretty handy player if I remember rightly. 

He was incredible for the first month or so and that's about it. I blame him removing the bandage from his hand, he was never the same player again.

As far as first goals go, his is up there with Stanic and Casiraghi's.

• Paid Members

Is Iwan Roberts involved? Nicest man in the history of football, is Iwan. Possibly in the history of the world.

Always says hello to everyone around the city, seemingly replies to every tweet he's ever been sent, once (figuratively) dragged my fat arse up a challenging hill (well, as challenging as hills in Norwich get) when we crossed paths while out running.

Proper legend is Iwan.