The Official UKFF RAW thread (part 2)...

The one and only way PG is an impediment to good wrestling television is the overriding feeling that none of the writers have themselves had an adult social experience of any kind. 

Yeah PG has nothing to do with it. You don’t have to swear or get your tits out for good wrestling television. This show would be the shits if it was 12, 15, 18 whatever. It’s utter garbage.

That Shane thing, to me, was worse than anything on Sunday. Sunday was an unfortunate accident. They mean to do the shit that goes out on Monday. They do it on purpose.

• Paid Members
28 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

Yes and they should definitely turn John Cena heel so shut up damnit.

It worked for Roman Reigns... 

They probably should have turned Cena heel the night of the first Rock match in hindsight. I rewatched it recently and with P Diddy being there and all that it feels like 'the world is watching' moreso than any other moment in the preceding (or following) ten years. They had a chance to burn Cena into the popular imagination as 'that cunt who fucked over The Rock' there. I gather Cena is a household name in the states these days but it took fucking ages to get him over the line. Twatting Dwayne about with a chair in his big comeback would've made headlines.

• Paid Members
40 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

Roman’s run would probably have gone completely different if the feral goofs that attend live TV had had the chance to start cheering him and chanting for him.

Absolutely this. The fans would have been cheering him, and creative would have had him cutting pandering promos about Steph a week later then trying to figure out why he's suddenly being booed. 

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, buba3d said:

PG

Not this shit again. WCW did its best TV when it was PG. The WWF did great business with a PG product. PG is not your problem.

Other than a few Wrestlemanias I haven't watched any wrestling in years, but surely one of the biggest problems is the show being 3 hours every week. That's longer than most movies. Imagine how much the quality of shows like Breaking Bad and The Sopranos would have dropped if they had to write 3 hours of TV every single week of the year. And that's without adding in how many other hours of TV the WWE has to write every week

Edited by Pork Pie

I've always wondered how much the length is a contributor as in the US American Football Games go 3 hours, Baseball goes on forever etc. It seems like they have more of a history of presentations like this covering a large part of the schedule for the evening. The problem is the content unfortunately 

• Paid Members

I don't think they have to book football matches and baseball games, though. Any drama that happens during those sports is entirely legitimate, whereas all the stuff that takes place in WWE programming is written and prepared in advance. 

Edited by jazzygeofferz

I wonder if those who complain about RAW being PG have ever watched WWE footage pre 1992. 

The problem with RAW (and WWE in general) is simple.

Show is too long at 3 hrs. To be fair, if USA want it to be 3 hrs, there is nothing WWE can do about it. 

Scripted promos are a problem. Not sure if the Peyton Royce promo has been posted but god bless her, the rubbish one from the IIconics had a decent promo in her and none of it had to be memorised from a writers laptop print out. 

Let's try out unscripted promos. Give someone bullet points and let them talk. If someone has a lack of confidence in connecting the dots have a writer to help out. 

And finally, changes need to be made in production and booking. Kevin Dunn has been working there since the mid eighties. Maybe he's run out of ideas because it shows. The only innovative thing I've seen from WWE in the past few years is the 8K camera for entrances and I'm willing to bet thats a FOX idea. Vinces lack of knowledge outside of WWE is apparent. The hire Vince made when he took over the company 37 years ago that  helped make WWE what it is now was George Scott, who had made a name for himself as the best creative mind in wrestling at Jim Crockett. When he hired Heyman and Bischoff to be heads of the two shows he showed what knowledge he had of life outside the E and their replacement, Bruce Prichard, that tells you how stagnant WWE is right now. 

• Paid Members

Peyton’s Raw Talk promo is the worst of that style so far. Awkward as fuck. All these people trying to have their own Daniel Bryan moment on these supplemental shows and failing miserably. Bryan can do it because he’s the best at everything and everyone rightly loves him. Your Peytons and Cesaros just sound like moany pricks. It’s honestly a toss up on whether they’re better or worse than the run-of-the-mill over-scripted Main Show promos.

• Paid Members

Production is the biggest problem - I talk about this all the time, but an episode of RAW from 2020 looks indistinguishable to an episode of RAW from 2010. An episode of RAW from 2010, structurally, is still more or less identical to a RAW from 2002, just with a new lick of paint. There hasn't been the sort of sea change in production or presentation that you saw in the past - this point is hammered home all the time, but the WWF of 1985 doesn't look like the WWF of 1995, which sure as hell doesn't look like the WWE of 2005. The WWF of 97 looks totally different to the WWF of 1995, and the WWF of 2000 looks totally different to the WWF of 1997. Enough changed to make the product feel fresh.

Now, not only are we for the most part looking at the same faces we've seen every week for 10 years, but they're in the same gimmick, and hitting the same format points on the script. If you showed me a format sheet that had "The Miz and John Morrison antagonise celebrity guest" on it, I wouldn't know if it was from 2021 or 2007. 

The biggest shift in presentation or production they've done in years has been the Thunderdome, and it's dogshit. It's technically impressive, and can (but often doesn't) make for a cool visual, but all it actually achieves is illustrating how disconnected from the audience the product really is. When every match flows exactly the same, and the wrestlers still act the same, still pause for effect, when there's no audience - or just a facsimile of one - as when the building is full, all that does is prove that the audience have absolutely no input on the content of the show, and that's anathema to how pro-wrestling is supposed to work. The fans may as well never come back at all, because they're clearly surplus to requirements. One of the worst things I've ever seen in wrestling was The Undertaker in his retirement ceremony pausing to "soak up" piped in "Thank You Taker" chants. It's insane.

Scripting promos isn't inherently the problem - I wish they wouldn't, and think there's an awful lot of wrestlers held back by that, and every time someone does a great promo on Talking Smack or for WWE.com that's readily apparent - but that they have shit writers is. Three hours of TV a week is a struggle, but there are writers in other media churning out content too - in TV drama or movies, there are rarely complaints about how everyone sounds the same because it's the same few people writing their dialogue. It's rare that you see a complaint that every character in a novel talks the same way because it's only one person writing their dialogue. Yet in wrestling, it's taken as read that one or two people writing for everyone will lead to everyone sounding the same - that's only true for two reasons; one is if the talent aren't trusted to, or aren't confident enough to, put their own spin on the material, and the other is if the writers just aren't good enough. And, obviously, they're not. Whether that's because, as we're told over and over again, Vince McMahon gets final say and butchers their work (conveniently allowing every ex-WWE writer to insist that all their ideas were actually gold even if they turned out shit), or if it's because they hire non-union writers who couldn't get a job anywhere else in TV or movies if they tried.