The Official UKFF RAW thread (part 2)...

37 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Never said you did, just pointing out there are people who seemingly have hated it for years but can’t find the off switch

I was just quoting Brock Lesnar who, on being asked by Paul Heyman in the middle of a show if he'd seen something on the show, replied "I don't watch the show, Paul. Why would I watch the show?"

But I also do not watch the show.

22 minutes ago, 69MeDon said:

I was just quoting Brock Lesnar who, on being asked by Paul Heyman in the middle of a show if he'd seen something on the show, replied "I don't watch the show, Paul. Why would I watch the show?"

But I also do not watch the show.

Ah, I see. Having not watched the show I didn’t get the reference to the show that I have not watched, and nor had Brock. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

Ah, I see. Having not watched the show I didn’t get the reference to the show that I have not watched, and nor had Brock. 

And I can't believe that both I Can't Believe It's Not Butter and the stuff that I can't believe is not I Can't Believe It's Not Butter are both, in fact, not butter. And I believe... they both might be butter... in a cunning disguise.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, air_raid said:

And I can't believe that both I Can't Believe It's Not Butter and the stuff that I can't believe is not I Can't Believe It's Not Butter are both, in fact, not butter. And I believe... they both might be butter... in a cunning disguise.

This is why I tend to eat "Margarine? Bollocks!" 

• Paid Members

Kevin Owens heavily hinting he‘s fucking off to AEW in three months is very exciting. Everything he’s currently doing reeks of a company getting the most out of someone before they leave the territory, too. This man is done.

What on Earth was Finn Balor wearing though. It takes real effort to make a man this handsome look this bad. Is he in witness protection or something?! What a scruff!

85E0EF16-C432-4D4D-A352-9C55F5350E91.thumb.jpeg.b92112d229995e2701f2e27b371f624a.jpeg

The only explanation I can come up with is that Kyle O’Reilly is heading to Raw and he and Finn will team up as the Inbetweeners.

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members

They zoomed out on Kevin Patrick standing with his legs apart again so that Rey Mysterio doesn't look even smaller. What a pro. Kevin, not the director.

Do you reckon they think they're doing the Bret Hart turn with Becky? She came back, nicked the belt off a babyface champion and is walking around like a knobhead calling herself Bigtime Becks. Do they think this is subtle?

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Supremo said:

Kevin Owens heavily hinting he‘s fucking off to AEW in three months is very exciting. Everything he’s currently doing reeks of a company getting the most out of someone before they leave the territory, too. This man is done.

Whilst I am pretty certain he will leave, if anything, KO hinting with the '3 months or 3 years' line has actually got me slightly doubting him leaving. Everyone bemoans how scripted WWE promo's are, so I doubt that line was ad-libbed. Especially with the 'Mount Rushmore' mention. 

47 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Do you reckon they think they're doing the Bret Hart turn with Becky? She came back, nicked the belt off a babyface champion and is walking around like a knobhead calling herself Bigtime Becks. Do they think this is subtle?

My worst fear is that they'll end up with her and Seth as a double act on TV again and no one wants that at all. Although if it's on a show that I don't watch I suppose that's better.

I think another thing for us older fans is that we watched WWE grow from the advent of satellite TV to a hugely popular TV show worldwide. Plenty of mistakes along the way and stuff that really shouldn't have been on there, but there was enough there to keep it interesting week to week. Now it's established as a global brand and in its dominating position, WWE has forgotten how to get new fans hooked and invested in the story and shows long term.

6 minutes ago, Big'Olympic_Hero'Pete said:

I think another thing for us older fans is that we watched WWE grow from the advent of satellite TV to a hugely popular TV show worldwide. Plenty of mistakes along the way and stuff that really shouldn't have been on there, but there was enough there to keep it interesting week to week. Now it's established as a global brand and in its dominating position, WWE has forgotten how to get new fans hooked and invested in the story and shows long term.

See I refuse to believe that they've 'forgotten' - they can't have that many decent people involved and not know how to. It's just not their focus. They sell the brand and the name, not the individuals most of the time. If they wanted to book a decent wrestling show then I'm sure they've got more than enough capable people to do so. It's just not their thing - or at least not Vince's thing anyway. They're hugely removed from what they used to be.

• Paid Members

The Becky thing has gone exactly how anyone could have predicted when she came back at Summerslam. Stupidly comes in as a heel, it doesn’t really work, they slowly just give up, and Bianca, who was on the cusp of actually being something special, ends up looking like a fucking loser.

21 minutes ago, Nick James said:

Whilst I am pretty certain he will leave, if anything, KO hinting with the '3 months or 3 years' line has actually got me slightly doubting him leaving. Everyone bemoans how scripted WWE promo's are, so I doubt that line was ad-libbed. Especially with the 'Mount Rushmore' mention. 

Dean Ambrose’s exit has completely changed the game. Everything they did when he was leaving suggested there was some type of clever swerve coming, but no. He just left. This feels exactly the same. You can almost see the internal struggle of how they want to approach it. In the meta WWE of 2021, jobbing him out too much just makes him more sympathetic and an even bigger star for when he leaves. Similarly, making direct references to him leaving feels like their attempt to somehow be above it all and not so obviously gotten to that yet another lad is jumping ship.

It’s going to be fun watching them try to strike a balance and save as much face as possible, whilst still getting the most out of him. You can already see the cracks forming though. Big E attacking him last night felt completely out of character and did nothing to help Big E at all. He’s the most loveable man in the company and in struggling to deal with this Kevin Owens situation they somehow make Big E feel like a bit of a dickhead. Incredible.

• Paid Members

I wonder if there's some element of them thinking that if they treat him nice on the way out he'll come to his senses and sign a new contract?

It's not just the mad Dean Ambrose thing, where they were shoehorning in Shield reunions and Network specials, it's Daniel Bryan main eventing Wrestlemania on his way out, or all the way back to CM Punk in 2011. We remember it as a great angle now, but the reality is that they were booking him in pay-per-view title matches with no guarantee he was sticking around, or that he wouldn't try and Jeff Jarrett them. They're mental. 

Part of it might be Daniel Bryan and CM Punk breaking their brains in terms of how they interact with "smart" fans, but I'm amazed they haven't gone down the Billionaire Ted route yet, or put a load of stuff on the Network and in highlight packages showing Cody, Punk, Ambrose etc. taking pins from current talent, or the Young Bucks being used as enhancement talent. So many people in AEW came through the WWE developmental system, they must have a ton of cringeworthy videos of promo classes and early matches to make them look like jokes.

Letting the likes of Bryan, Cole, and probably Owens look great on the way out when it's almost a dead cert they know where they're going is bizarre. At least with Moxley you could argue that he was taking a risk and they didn't know if AEW was going to work out, but now there's no excuse - practically every wrestler seems to want to work there, and WWE must know it.