The Official UKFF RAW thread (part 2)...

I've been a big fan of LA Knight since he was in NWA.  I have no issue with the name, it's cool, and I have no issue with the in-ring work. At the very least, he's a safe hand, and with the right opponents and the right crowds I think he'll have some bangers.  And he's probably got a decade more in him at least, it's a safe "moveset".

The criticism of him being like The Rock and Austin I find just bizarre - is that a BAD thing?  If it was easy to emulate their charisma and crowd connection, why isn't every wrestler doing it?  They were two of the biggest wrestling stars of all time, that's surely exactly what you WANT in a wrestler.

What I'm NOT a fan of is this sort of segment, where WWE sends a trusted hand out to run an upcoming wrestler down with all the backstage criticisms.  It was rife under Vince, and more often than not it just alerts fans to the fact that the wrestler's not going to get a proper push.  Anyone remember HHH's frankly racist "people like you" speech to Booker T?  And the Miz is one of those feuds where people go to die, so yeah...

Knight handled it ok, but the closer he gets to the main event the more he'll be expected to read from the cue card, and we know from NWA that he's a fantastically natural promo guy.  I hope they just let him improvise.  And I think where he's a bit different from some of the other organically over wrestlers who've come along, is that he's a very experienced pro and knows he has excellent prospects outside WWE, so he'll be a bit more bullish about his booking.  

“I don’t like Knight, he talks like two of the greatest promo’s of all time!” Is a bizarre criticism. 

He’s someone ideally suited to be in the chasing pack but never be the guy. If he stays over there’s no reason why he can’t be an upper midcarder who cameo’s in the main event from time to time. 

2 hours ago, FelatioLips said:

Years of moaning nobody gets over (and rightfully so in most respects) and finally someone does and it's suddenly "no not like that".

LA Knight might just be a generic guy with a few catchphrases but he's over and he's moving merch and he's getting viral online and everything WWE want from a guy they probably haven't invested too much in.

People do get over tbf. They generally get their wings clipped though which is more the issue.

• Paid Members

It’s a testament to him that long before he was as over as he is now he went into a feud with Bray Wyatt that culminated in that shocking Mountain Dew match and he came out more over than he went in. Nobody does that, certainly not someone who’s “just a catchphrase”.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, DavidB6937 said:

That's not a discussion point? Why not? Because you don't like people disagreeing with you?

Because then I have to deal with the forums version of Colin Robinson which is why I muted you. Still you’ve reminded me to update my avatar so cheers. 

By the way anyone else that thinks the name is no worse than something like The Rock is insane. A man called the Rock is clearly hard. Though I agree that Seth Rollins is one of many bad names they have at least people are called Seth. No one has ever used the first name LA. And that’s in a country where people are called Brick.

@Hannibal Scorch  Are you ok mate?  Your posts have got pretty aggressive recently.

Edit: I'll leave this up, but there are other threads on this forum for this and I don't want to drag the Raw thread off-topic.

Edited by Loki

30 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Because then I have to deal with the forums version of Colin Robinson which is why I muted you. Still you’ve reminded me to update my avatar so cheers. 

By the way anyone else that thinks the name is no worse than something like The Rock is insane. A man called the Rock is clearly hard. Though I agree that Seth Rollins is one of many bad names they have at least people are called Seth. No one has ever used the first name LA. And that’s in a country where people are called Brick.

Just like Thatcher, you’ve forgotten Liverpool.

2 hours ago, Tsurutagun said:

Also wondering how much of the current WWE fan base attending live shows ever watched Knight in Impact. 

Can't work out if your indicating that's a positive or a negative for him or for the fans.

Does it matter if the majority did or didn't see him in Impact, its not like he is playing the same character so anything that came before is irrelevant to him and the fans

This isn't AJ Styles or Shinsuke Nakmaura who are effectively playing the same guy as from New Japan and in Styles case TNA/Impact and the lineage I guess you can say of what they've done carries over

• Paid Members
29 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

L.A. > LA

L.A. being his nickname. So yes, still stands. Wish I’d never mentioned his stupid sounding name, and yes, CM Punk is stupid too. Bring back Max Dupree.

God, if only wrestlers didn't have to wrestle with real names, and were allowed nicknames! 

Edited by gmoney