The Official UKFF RAW thread (part 2)...

• Paid Members
40 minutes ago, FUM said:

Are we at the stage where we accept the Womens Tag Championships are cursed?

Every team that has won them has had a member go out injured since Sasha/Naomi. I think then need to take them to Mount Doom and get some new ones made.

3 hours ago, MVP RULZ said:

Can't work out if your indicating that's a positive or a negative for him or for the fans.

Does it matter if the majority did or didn't see him in Impact, its not like he is playing the same character so anything that came before is irrelevant to him and the fans

This isn't AJ Styles or Shinsuke Nakmaura who are effectively playing the same guy as from New Japan and in Styles case TNA/Impact and the lineage I guess you can say of what they've done carries over

What I meant was is this the first time the WWE fan base has seen him. 

I bumped into someone who I used to work with who was a casual fan and he loves LA. 

• Paid Members
16 hours ago, Tsurutagun said:

What will happen is once he's in main events he'll be rejected cause he'll be exposed as a meh worker

Fucking hell, this didn't take long to come back round, did it?

On 7/20/2023 at 12:05 PM, air_raid said:

I don't think the matches matter much. Get over, get the crowd noise up and the matches will instantly approve because perception is reality. Steve Austin was a chore to watch when he was having "good wrestling matches" in early 96 with Savio Vega because nobody gave a shit, Rocky Maivia always worked a bit loose and sloppy for his first year on TV and beyond, but once people invested and made a noise, we were excited to watch them both.

I'm probably the wrong person to comment having never seen an LA Knight match, to be fair. But Hogan said the best worker is the one that gets them to make the most noise, so that's all that matters in my book.

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, air_raid said:

Fucking hell, this didn't take long to come back round, did it?

He was the guy they put in there with American Badass Undertaker when he came back, a position most would have killed for. They trusted him with the Mountain Dew match, which on paper is a dud for fans but in terms of sponsorship and pleasing Mountain Dew you can't just shot anyone in that role. He was at the Mets game throwing the first pitch last night and got audible "YEAH"s from the crowd.

I'd rather have that than know how to put on a Sharpshooter a bit more snug, and I imagine most wrestlers would.

• Paid Members
Just now, FelatioLips said:

I'd rather have that than know how to put on a Sharpshooter a bit more snug, 

That's cos I mentioned Rocky innit.

And on the subject of awful takes, in looking for an image of Rock's Sharpshooter to potentially post, I discovered a post by the KINGS of missing the point or getting everything wrong, WhatCulture, titled "10 Main Eventers Who SUCKED At Great Moves (But Did Them Anyway)" - and the photo was of Rock doing it to Steve Austin, in one of their matches that made a live crowd go ballistic and made tons of cash at the gate and on PPV.

• Paid Members
14 hours ago, ReturnOfTheMack said:

Maybe it's supposed to be French.

He be called LA Nuit then, though. 

@mim731or LA Noche

Edited by jazzygeofferz

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, FelatioLips said:

He was the guy they put in there with American Badass Undertaker when he came back, a position most would have killed for. They trusted him with the Mountain Dew match, which on paper is a dud for fans but in terms of sponsorship and pleasing Mountain Dew you can't just shot anyone in that role. He was at the Mets game throwing the first pitch last night and got audible "YEAH"s from the crowd.

I'd rather have that than know how to put on a Sharpshooter a bit more snug, and I imagine most wrestlers would.

I agree with points 1 and 3, but that Mountain Dew match is a bad call. You could have had pretty much anyone in that spot because it was a showcase for Bray and the spectacle of it was all the black light and glowing effects.

I love it when talent get themselves over when they aren’t getting a push. Just because I don’t get it, I’m glad people do.

• Paid Members
Just now, Hannibal Scorch said:

I agree with points 1 and 3, but that Mountain Dew match is a bad call. You could have had pretty much anyone in that spot because it was a showcase for Bray and the spectacle of it was all the black light and glowing effects.

I love it when talent get themselves over when they aren’t getting a push. Just because I don’t get it, I’m glad people do.

In that case they could have just shot Akira Tozawa or a jobber in. Yeah it was to get Bray over but they still have to run it by Mountain Dew and they're not going to want any old shit in it.

• Paid Members

8 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

He be called LA Nuit then, though. 

@mim731or LA Noche

No, LA Chevalier, a much better name than LA Knight. I was right.

@FelatioLips Would that match be any better or worse if they did? That match was bad straight up, there was no-one they could have put in there that would have made it better imo.

If it led to him getting a bigger push, then fine, but I don’t think it did, I think he’s done that despite that match. I’d have rather Carrion Cross in place of LA Knight because he’s into that spooky nonsense too. I’d say well done on him for surviving the match as we haven’t seen Bray since.

PS isn’t “Any old shit” the ingredients of Mountain Dew Pitch Black?

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

No, LA Chevalier, a much better name than LA Knight. I was right.

@FelatioLips Would that match be any better or worse if they did? That match was bad straight up, there was no-one they could have put in there that would have made it better imo.

If it led to him getting a bigger push, then fine, but I don’t think it did, I think he’s done that despite that match. I’d have rather Carrion Cross in place of LA Knight because he’s into that spooky nonsense too. I’d say well done on him for surviving the match as we haven’t seen Bray since.

I think you're misunderstanding me. I'm not saying the match was better for having him in it over someone else, because as you (and I) have said it was a dud. I'm not saying the match directly lead to him getting a bigger push either, though him staying over after it was a miracle.

I'm saying that in a match sponsored by a worldwide brand like Mountain Dew, LA Knight had enough star power to begin with that both WWE and Mountain Dew chose him to be in it over some no-name jobber, which shows they think highly enough of him to be in that position regardless of the quality of the match.

• Paid Members

I think that's a perfect summary of where I think LA Knight fits - he's a good hand who you can trust not to shit the bed when the sponsors are watching. Whether that translates into anything bigger, I don't know.

The Mountain Dew match itself split my wrestling brain and fan brain in two - on one hand, I hated every second of it and thought it was fucking horrendous telly. On the other hand, Bray Wyatt managed to find a way to have a match where he did fuck all and then got someone else to take the big bump for him, and it's hard not to respect that. Either way, that LA Knight not only came out of that shitshow with dignity and credibility intact but with people wanting to see more of him tells me that he definitely has something, I just really struggle to see what that "something" is. 

But that's fine. Sometimes stuff gets over and you'd never see it coming, and you have to run with it. You can plan something out for months and have it fall flat on its arse, or you can do something in the moment without thinking about it and it'll sell T-shirts for years to come. I doubt Danhausen or Billy Gunn or The Acclaimed ever thought that Danhausen calling the Gunns "Ass Boys" on a YouTube video would lead to a Billy Gunn career resurgence, or give the Acclaimed a massive catchphrase.

To be self-indulgent for a moment, I booked a show back in June, and at the very last minute managed to add James Mason vs. Shigehiro Irie to the card. We sold more tickets in the few minutes after announcing that match than we did from anything else we announced. It was a fantastic match, one that got a lot of love in the room, and one that I was convinced would have people talking and sharing the video once it was uploaded. And you know what? It has under 300 views on YouTube. The other matches are hovering around 500-1000. The match that has more than 200,000 views, that got literally millions of engagements on Twitter, and had people talking in the most unexpected of places, was Jerry Bakewell vs. Blue Kane, a match I never announced, and figured would be a good laugh in the room. If I had the money to be running another show, I'd be spinning off from that match and booking something else with Blue Kane, not building from any of the other matches on the card. I don't have to understand why that was the match that got over so big (though, obviously, it helps if you do), I just have to be smart enough to run with it when it does.

• Paid Members

Are you allowed to mention Blue Kane for legal reasons? He got cease & desisted, didn't he? In spite of being a parody.