VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members
25 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

Cha Cha Real Smooth.

I really enjoyed this. Small narrative driven films are what I look for on streaming platforms and this fit the bill nicely. Cooper Raiff is pretty charismatic as a 22 year old embarking on the most depressing part of human life, the post college before you get your shit together phase. He stumbles in to becoming a a party starter at Bar Mitzvahā€™s and subsequently develops a friendship with Dakota Johnson and her daughter who is autistic. Very indie but not twee or Garden State-y. Worth a go on Apple TV and it has Robert from Everybody Loves Raymond in it.

It's very good, this. Raiff also made a romcom called Shithouse which, despite its awful name, was also pretty good. He's definitely one to watch, and I loved the way he portrayed autism here.

Thrashinā€™ (1986)Ā Amazon PrimeĀ 

Ā Highly enjoyable cult skateboarding movie. Ā Starring a very young and frankly gorgeous Josh Brolin amongst a cast of near-miss Brat Packers, thereā€™s a wafer thin Romeo and Juliet plot about star crossed lovers from two different skate gangs but the real star is the beautifully shot skateboarding sequences around LA, all low angles and tie-die colours. Cameos from Tony Hawks, some other skaters and an extremely early Red Hot Chilli Peppers.

Thumbs up!

Ā 

• Awards Moderator

Cocaine Bear

You know what? It is what it is. When I saw the trailer a while back I thought itā€™d be a bit more in keeping with the true(ish) story but they went balls out to make it as stupid as they could. And thatā€™s fine. Daft deaths, daft scenarios and very much hammed up by the main cast. Itā€™ll end up being one of those films I watch again when I canā€™t sleep and Deep Blue Sea is unavailable. Great fun.

3 hours ago, Loki said:

Thrashinā€™ (1986)Ā Amazon PrimeĀ 

Ā Highly enjoyable cult skateboarding movie. Ā Starring a very young and frankly gorgeous Josh Brolin amongst a cast of near-miss Brat Packers, thereā€™s a wafer thin Romeo and Juliet plot about star crossed lovers from two different skate gangs but the real star is the beautifully shot skateboarding sequences around LA, all low angles and tie-die colours. Cameos from Tony Hawks, some other skaters and an extremely early Red Hot Chilli Peppers.

Thumbs up!

Ā 

All I needed to hear. Iā€™m out!

I always struggle to get a movie both the missus and my son want to watch. She doesn't like cartoony things and he gets bored quick at more serious live action movies.

Anyway we watched Ice Cube's Are We There Yet the other day and they both found it hilarious. I know the reviews were shite but it was great to have a family comedy that wasn't too childish for the adults or too serious for the kids.Ā 

Soooo, anyone got any suggestions for decent family comedies? Preferably live action. My son is 7 years old btw, so anything suitable for that age.

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, LEGIT said:

a family comedy that wasn't too childish for the adults or too serious for the kids.Ā 

Ā My son is 7 years old btw, so anything suitable for that age.

I really liked john cena's firemen comedy Playing with Fire. It's quite childish but john leguizamo and Keegan michael key add a bit of quality and you get to see big match john.

10 minutes ago, LEGIT said:

Soooo, anyone got any suggestions for decent family comedies? Preferably live action. My son is 7 years old btw, so anything suitable for that age.

Any of the Diary Of A Wimpy Kid films. First two are genuinely really fun, with the others never dipping below good.Ā 

• Paid Members

Renfield is a mixed bag. Nicolas Cageā€™s Dracula is great, but it left me wishing he had done a film about Dracula and they cast someone else as Dracula for this film. Nicholas Hoult did a great job, the gore is ridiculously over the top. It had some funny moments but overall I didnā€™t love it.

• Paid Members

MissingĀ (cinema)

Pretty good first half, dreadful second half that overwhelms itself with twists and idiotic contrivances. A couple of laughs though and morcnically entertaining for the most part, but not a patch on Searching.

Operation Fortune: Ruse de GuerreĀ (Prime)

More or less continues Guy Ritchie's surprisingly good run without much ever happening. But if you can't enjoy a good caper with a Jason Statham and Aubrey Plaza partnership then there's no helping you. Bugzy Malone's good too and gets to keep his lovely Crumpsall accent.

Seraphim FallsĀ (Sony Movies)

Superb western that sank without trace on release and is in dire need of rediscovery. Pierce Brosnan is slightly miscast in the lead but largely good, and the final third is stunning. A real surprise.

Seems Like Old Times

Excellent Neil Simon comedy loosely based on the brilliant The Talk of the Town. A Goldie Hawn / Charles Grodin / Chevy Chase central trio shows you the quality you're getting and it's very funny even if the ending is shit.

IceĀ (1994) (YouTube)

Stupidly enjoyable crime thriller with Traci Lords handling some action stuff pretty well. The highlight is her sex scene in a shower - with her undies on. Her ex-husband was directing, which might explain that.

Mystery Train

Possibly my favourite Jim Jarmusch film now, and I love pretty much all his films. Especially Paterson. The final third is hilarious when Steve Buscemi and Joe Strummer share screen time together, but it's all brilliant.

Kiss the Girls / Along Came a SpiderĀ (Netflix)

These Alex Cross thrillers were shit and practically the same but they had Monica Potter and Ashley Judd in them so that's why I loved them back in the day. I still love them, too.

Islands in the StreamĀ (Talking Pictures TV)

Semi-autobiographical Ernest Hemingway adaptation. Very downbeat and slow-moving but George C. Scott, one of the best actors of his generations, gives one of his greatest performances. Really good film.

Nico, 1988Ā (Film4)

Biopic about the cult Velvet Underground collaborator and the final couple of years of her life. Not the most upbeat film I've watched lately but very good, as these things go, and the music is obviously a plus.