WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 3.0

TildeGuy~!

I've started playing Faith: The Unholy Trinity on Steam Deck, and it's one of the creepiest videogame experiences I've ever had. Generally horror games don't work for me, and I probably wouldn't have expected an 8-bit style survival horror to buck that trend, but it certainly has. It's genuinely disturbing, and very effective at what it sets out to do. Here's the trailer, to give you an idea: 

• Paid Members

I recently finished Frog Detective 3: Corruption in Cowboy County, to bring an end to one of my favourite game series. It's simple, twee, and good for a few genuine laughs. I think what I love about it is that it's the sort of game concept that you sort of half-expect the developers to have thrown in a really shocking twist to make it all edgy or alternative, because you can't just don't expect indie developers to just be genuinely, earnestly nice in their games. Lovely stuff, can't recommend enough.

Still ploughing through Dragon Quest XI. I'm at a point where it's all a bit more wide open and less linear now, and the plot actually seems to be going somewhere, but it's still piss easy and I struggle to care too much about the story. It's just a bit too formulaic in the way you just repeat "go to new town, defeat monster, be lauded by people that initially misunderstood you" time and time again, and I'm hoping that it moves to something more interesting now that I'm pretty sure I've visited every town on the map.

• Paid Members

Fired up GTAIV for the time in about 10 years recently. A few observations - 

- It's so much darker/more dreary than GTAV. Deliberately so because of the setting etc, but the contrast is noticeably more stark when you return to it after years of playing GTAV. 

- I still can't understand Little Jacob even with subtitles as a visual aid. 

- I already can't be fucked to go bowling with Roman. It was funny at first hearing the call about going to bowling. But the friendship chores after a while are a source of great irritation. 

- For the side quests, the vigilante missions are fun, but looking for the flying rats is so fucking boring. 

- Brucie is a national treasure and one of the most joyous things about the game. There's an email where he talks about some photos not being used that he submitted to a website, and how he can't understand why they wouldn't use shots of him bench-pressing 400lbs with his pelvis. That character must have been an absolute joy to write for. 

I won't be gunning for 100% completion on this one like I did for the PS2 GTA's earlier this year. Fun to revisit but not for an extended marathon. 

• Paid Members

I hear it's a very good game. Some people weren't happy with the graphical style, but a good game is a good game however it looks. 

I've been playing through Pokémon Legends Arceus, and back on with Shield as well. I'm at the point in Shield where I have an existential crisis and decide that I need a whole new team to cover more types ahead of the big finale stuff, so I'm now training up every pokemon in my boxes in the hope that I can get them to the right level, but I have a terrible feeling I've missed out on them learning a lot of moves. 

I love Arceus's open world feeling with the different areas, the way they've turned learned moves into a load out system is pretty clever as well. I have a feeling from what I've seen of Scarlet/Violet that if they'd maybe made each route a separate area they might have been able to get it running better. There are a LOT of glitch compilations doing the rounds on YouTube at the moment. 

23 hours ago, RedRooster said:

I've started playing Faith: The Unholy Trinity on Steam Deck, and it's one of the creepiest videogame experiences I've ever had. Generally horror games don't work for me, and I probably wouldn't have expected an 8-bit style survival horror to buck that trend, but it certainly has. It's genuinely disturbing, and very effective at what it sets out to do. Here's the trailer, to give you an idea: 

That looks wonderfully fucked up. Might give that a go.

Sony's big exclusives just don't feel as exciting as they once did, too many sequels instead of anything fresh that makes you just need the new console. Plus the one game I'd actually want a sequel to seems to be almost forgotten by the company, not even a tweek to the original Bloodborne to get it running better on new hardware.

They let Kojima go to the competition, too.

Edited by Merzbow

• Awards Moderator
21 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

They let Kojima go to the competition, too.

The lack of any decent way to play the full MGS series on modern hardware is utterly baffling. Actual money left on the table. Konami just seem completely dismissive of gaming. 

55 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

too many sequels instead of anything fresh that makes you just need the new console.

To be fair, I can't think of a single console I bought new, or asked for, primarily to play an unfamiliar IP. It's always been sequels/franchises that have dictated which platform I invest in. (With the obvious exception of my first machine in the 8-bit days, when everything was fresh to me.)

Horizon Zero Dawn is my favourite PS4 game, but I only know that because they gave it away during lockdown. I wouldn't have bought the system for the chance to play it, but I knew I had to play the next instalment of my favourite existing series.

This isn't to say they shouldn't develop new IP, I just wonder how much influence it really has on hardware sales.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Onyx2 said:

The lack of any decent way to play the full MGS series on modern hardware is utterly baffling. Actual money left on the table. Konami just seem completely dismissive of gaming. 

Too busy making pachinko machines. Plus they're probably not doing anything with MGS to spite Kojima. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Uncle Zeb said:

To be fair, I can't think of a single console I bought new, or asked for, primarily to play an unfamiliar IP

For me and all my mates it was PlayStation 1 & 2, which was an astounding success.

Edited by Tommy!