WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 3.0

TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members

Picked up Townscaper in the Switch scale. It's not as much a game as just a little sandbox designing thing. You get a patch of water, and move the cursor around and put things in the water. You first put the ground down, then pop buildings on top, and an AI tries to determine what kind of building its going to be, so if you join a couple together it makes a bigger house, or will flatten the roof, if you stack several single layers on top of each other it'll build a tower. You can change the colour of the pieces you're putting down, so it's possible to build a red and white stripy lighthouse, for example. It's hard to explain in writing, and definitely something conveyed better in video form. There are entire communities that will create such beautiful cities and towns, but it can be a fun little creative outlet as well, and just a zen, chill time. 

• Paid Members

Got naught Ninja Turtles: Shredders Revenge. Does a great job of feeling like the original Konami games but with more depth. Great fun. 

Cuphead was bought because my daughter got right into the Netflix show. I warned my wife it was apparently hard, but oh boy isn’t it just.

So I'm fairly sure I know the answer to this question but it's worth me asking.

I bought my fiance a switch for Christmas and were both getting used to it slowly but surely, I'm wondering however is there a game pass sort of thing on the switch like Xbox and Playstation have.

I'm sorry if this sounds silly or whatever it's a completely new platform for me and my missus isn't a gamer so she is just as clueless.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Kfogg1991 said:

So I'm fairly sure I know the answer to this question but it's worth me asking.

I bought my fiance a switch for Christmas and were both getting used to it slowly but surely, I'm wondering however is there a game pass sort of thing on the switch like Xbox and Playstation have.

I'm sorry if this sounds silly or whatever it's a completely new platform for me and my missus isn't a gamer so she is just as clueless.

As Ralphy has said there is no Gamepass but the closest you’ll get is by having Nintendo Switch online. I think there are two tiers but they’re fairly cheap (the highest tier is only £34.99 for the year). Assuming you get the high tier you get this:

- Immediate access to a retro library of NES/SNES/Mega Drive/N64 games that already have most of the big names on there and get updated monthly.

- Online functionality, which honestly is only any good for Animal Crossing, Mario Kart and Splatoon. Nintendo’s online play is worthless junk.

- A few free games including the very addictive Tetris 99.

- Access to paid DLC for Animal Crossing, Splatoon and Mario Kart 8. If you planned on buying any of these it’s better just to get the Online Sub and unlock it all that way.

- Exclusive offers including a pretty decent one where you pay £80ish for two game tickets and can use them to get two full price games. If you’re after new releases you can usually save a few quid even compared to buying pre-owned.

If you enjoy retro games it’s a great little package. I’d argue it’s worth the cost for that alone. If not then it might not be worth your time.

• Paid Members

Finished GoW. The story was really good, although I seemed to blitz through it quite quick. Playing through the side bits I missed, done the fire mount doom bit and working through the grind of the maze. 

Got all the valkyries but the queen just mullers me every time. Time to pick up ragnorok now I guess. 

I also got Red Alert 3 for when I'm killing time at the pc. Not as good as the remastered OG red alert & C&C for me; I like the simplicity of the older games and the more 3D style doesn't really sit compared to the originals. My main complaint though is I can't zoom out far enough for my liking, I want to see more of the map. That said it's still great to play and the additions carried over from RA2 like garrison buildings is great. 

Don't think I've felt like as big a nerd all year with how much I laughed along to this. The fact that both guys clearly still love the roles and can dive into the lore of it for laughs made me grin ear to ear. Seeing Snake's voice come from an actual human will never, ever get old. 

• Paid Members
On 12/30/2022 at 2:51 PM, RedRooster said:

Has anyone here taken a chance on the Playdate? It looks like a lot of fun, and I'm seeing a lot of positive things said about it in end-of-year round-ups, but seems a bit pricey for what it is. If you've tried it, would you recommend?

I'm fascinated by it as well. I listen to the CU Podcast and one of the presenters got one. He said it was good, especially with the thing where the games are released on a fortnightly basis. 

2 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

I'm fascinated by it as well. I listen to the CU Podcast and one of the presenters got one. He said it was good, especially with the thing where the games are released on a fortnightly basis. 

I might take a chance on it, then. It looks like a lot of fun, and it's clearly a unique concept. 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, RedRooster said:

I might take a chance on it, then. It looks like a lot of fun, and it's clearly a unique concept. 

I can't remember which episode it was on, but it should be on YouTube. He said that there are good games and less good games, as there are with any system, but it sounds more like a case of his taste in games as opposed to the actual quality of them?