WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 3.0

TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members
On 11/29/2022 at 7:45 PM, CleetusVanDamme said:

Starting up Dark Pictures: The Devil in Me now, prepare for my biannual "It's no Until Dawn" synopsis. If it can pick up where House of Ashes left off I expect I'll like it more than The Quarry, and for half the price. Should get it done easily in a couple of nights

Okay, I finished it over the last couple of days (my timekeeping is always perfect). It was no Until Dawn. Still quite liked it though, about on-par with House of Ashes, the base storyline was better in this, but with less scope for screwing people over in great ways (tbf it's really hard to top being able to pull a husband's hand away while his wife's hanging over a cliff. BURN!). I respect that the game let me make the bold call to kill of the asthmatic girl ASAP. It was purely tactical, she only had 1 ammo left in her inhaler and would have been a wheezy burden during the hidey/runny parts.

I've grown really fond of The Curator over these last four games. A dick with mystique. Definitely down for season 2, which given I hated the first two is pretty impressive. The teaser for the next one looked interesting. Space horror is definitely back in vogue right now. Good!

14 hours ago, Gay as FOOK said:

I'm tempted to pick up Crisis Core: Reunion next week. It's pricey, but they do seem to have done an impressive job brushing it up to look a part of Remake. Then again it is still a PSP game. I've never played it before and I'm a proper FF7 mark so I'm going to need to get around to it eventually. 

I’ve pre ordered, never played the PSP game so I’m excited.

Hoping it answers some questions to the Remake ending too.

• Paid Members
42 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Death Stranding 2!!

I know Kojima splits the crowd here but I can't bloody wait, I'm going to replay the first game after I get totally bored of MG Survive which I only just bought to be a Metal Gear completionist. Four quid from CEX tho, not a huge loss.

Once I clear my remaining backlog I'm gonna replay with the Director's Cut. I'm unabashedly into Kojima's bullshit, glad we're getting another one.

• Paid Members

Started God of war. So far it's fun enough but doesn't feel as fast paced as the previous 3, I'm rolling out the way way to hit and run more than I expected. 

The little lad constantly shouting nisa or something has already got on my nerves too. 

I miss the "spectacle fighter" era of God of War, it was a silly little take on mythology and you could shag about. I think that style of combat truly peaked with MGR Revengeance though, it's stupidly deep at times and your nerves will be shot from the high octane nature but it's just so beautiful to play once it clicks.

Got Dead Rising 4 for a tenner on one of them PlayStation sales, and honestly for that price it's a great time, despite how it was shat on for removing the timer etc. 

It's just a big, dumb Christmas themed sandbox. I always loved just hopping in and out of shops and seeing what themed weapons I could pick up in them to batter hordes of zombers with. Now I can do it at a leisurely pace without the timer.

It's not a patch on 1 or 2 but loads more fun than the terminally dull 3. 

• Paid Members

Mostly enjoyed The Callisto Protocol. Definitely no Dead Space, but in combat I'm not sure it was even trying to be, tbh. Once you get into the rythm (and it's hard not to, it's the most forgiving and piss-easy dodge mechanic ever!) of dancing out of the way of everything like prime Anderson Silva, hucking aliens at traps with the gravity glove-thingy it can get pretty fun. Looked and sounded amazing too, great atmosphere, the completely clean display does so much for immersion.

It really ran out of ideas towards the end though. The recurring 2-headed guy was a pain, final boss was pretty shit as well. Weapon-switching needs work. Sort out these issues and sprinkle in some money set-pieces and they could make a great sequel. As it is, it's a pretty decent first game for a studio. A fun 7.5/10. The extra .5 is for giving me an excuse to watch Aliens and Event Horizon again.

I've just got Evil West to get through before I can officially crown Rollerdrome as 2022 GOTY!

Re-installed Cyberpunk. 

It got pretty much the exact reaction it deserved beyond the bugs - 50% "I get this" and 50% "Bit lazy, isn't it?" - but fuck me. Walking through Night City again on a good pair of headphones, the shitty NPC AI and wild variance between stunning graphics and really lazy, low rez distant textures has me hooked again. 

Atmosphere is king for me in games, and for all its shortcoming Cyberpunk is dripping in it. It just needs loads of factions, really. Nothing too crazy, just a bunch of paths your character can take for ten hours other than "Person doing the main story". 

It's not a masterpiece or anything but if you're into self indulgence and have the system to handle it, it's a belter.